IGNORED

Almost got a 2600 Meltdown prototype for $1

joesmooth

No offense but at this point one would assume either:

A.) It cant be fixed

or

B.) It's known fact that the EPROM data isn't worth pursuing agressively.

One can't help but feel if DP hadn't released the ROM themselves this prototype would be fixed and dumped.

Not trying to be rude, but is this a situation where you feel like you have something unique that classic gamers should be excited about, or do you think it's more likely going to be the almost exactly or exactly the same ROM thats been dumped already?

The way the whole "deal" went down seems very strange to me.

Would be nice to know that Tempest has himself a one of a kind item in his possesion and we should be excited to see it all come together in the end.

I know I know...Little patience people. I know this because I heard it....last year. :D

I have patience, really just curious at this point.

...but is this a situation where you feel like you have something unique that classic gamers should be excited about, or do you think it's more likely going to be the almost exactly or exactly the same ROM thats been dumped already?

:idea: Since Matt wanted to know that too, I used CloneSpy for comparing the partial dump with the one from DP. If both ROMs would be identical, the result should be around 50%, but IIRC is was around 30%. So the ROMs differ quite a lot.

I have patience, really just curious at this point.

So am I. :)

No offense but at this point one would assume either:  

A.) It cant be fixed  

Don't know about that.

B.) It's known fact that the EPROM data isn't worth pursuing agressively.

Uhh... What are you implying? :?

The data is different, but at this point we don't know how different. This prototype could be very close to the final (a late WIP) or something very different. With only half the data to look at it's hard to tell.

One can't help but feel if DP hadn't released the ROM themselves this prototype would be fixed and dumped.

The fact that there's a 'final' version of the rom out there has absolutely no bearing on whether or not my prototype can be fixed. I'm not sure what the two have to do with each other, unless you're implying that I'm purposely not fixing my prototype for some reason? Why would I do that? How does it benefit me to have a broken prototype? I'm really lost on this one, can you explain your logic to me?

Not trying to be rude, but is this a situation where you feel like you have something unique that classic gamers should be excited about, or do you think it's more likely going to be the almost exactly or exactly the same ROM thats been dumped already?

Well unless you normally get excited about WIP versions, then I think you'll probably be disappointed. Like I said before, this is a WIP version of the game and that's about all we know right now. It's not going to be anything earth shattering, just a slightly different version of the game (probably missing sound or having slightly different graphics).

The way the whole "deal" went down seems very strange to me.

What seems strange about it? Prototype was found by someone who didn't know what it was. Friend spotted it, told me, I bought it.

Would be nice to know that Tempest has himself a one of a kind item in his possesion and we should be excited to see it all come together in the end

Well technically I guess it's a two of a kind item since DP also have one (obviously). It's a WIP of an unreleased prototype, we know that for sure and that's enough to make me happy.

I know I know...Little patience people. I know this because I heard it....last year.

I'm not so sure why this particular WIP is making everyone wait on baited breath. If it was the only one out there (like it was when I found it), then I could see everyone getting upset at the slow pace of things. However since it's just a WIP of an existing prototype, it's really only of interest to me and a few other hard core prototype junkies. I don't understand what the fuss is all about.

Remember things sometimes move VERY slowly in the prototype world. There are some prototypes which took years for me to finally get my hands on (Mind Maze comes to mind). Look how long it's taking Lee to get Ixion released. I'm sure he's working as fast as he can on it, but I don't see people complaining that he's taking too long. Like I said these things take time, and in some cases a LONG time. People have lives, personal affairs, and family. As much as we would all like to dedicate every waking hour to prototypes and Atari, we can't.

So I guess I'd say that the prototype will hopefully be fixed soon. I can't say much beyond that because I don't know anymore.

Tempest

Uhh... What are you implying?

Oh not implying a thing. Just questioning. I thought maybe it turned out the data was the same and you really wern't interested in fixing the EPROM any longer or maybe the changes were so slight it wasn't worth pursuing.

Keep in mind lots of people were/are following this thread, evident by the fact every now and again someone revives it, only to be told the same info, "Busy" Soon" Working On It" Good to see some new info regarding your purchase.

I suspect the interest ... "fuss" in it all is the fact you dropped a wad on it and folks want to see it all work out for you in the end. :)

I suspect the interest ... "fuss" in it all is the fact you dropped a wad on it and folks want to see it all work out for you in the end.

Yeah I suppose so. I'm 99% confident that one day we'll get this thing working. I haven't seen or heard anything yet to give me reason to believe otherwise. Now whether or not the solution is something simple (like fixing a broken line) or something much more complex is unknown.

Tempest

Well unless you normally get excited about WIP versions, then I think you'll probably be disappointed.  Like I said before, this is a WIP version of the game and that's about all we know right now.  It's not going to be anything earth shattering, just a slightly different version of the game (probably missing sound or having slightly different graphics).  

I don't think people are expecting anything earth shattering per se, but it's nice to learn more about WIPs. I enjoy reading your write ups about games in different stages of production. It gives people like me who aren't programmers deeper insight into how these games are developed and the amount of work that goes into developing them (same reason I read and went through all of Andrew's programming for newbies tutorials).

I think the main reason for the interest in this particular WIP is, like Moycon alluded to, that we hope this has a happy ending for you. No one likes seeing members get burned on something they invested so much time and money on.

Well unless you normally get excited about WIP versions, then I think you'll probably be disappointed.  Like I said before, this is a WIP version of the game and that's about all we know right now.  It's not going to be anything earth shattering, just a slightly different version of the game (probably missing sound or having slightly different graphics).  

I don't think people are expecting anything earth shattering per se, but it's nice to learn more about WIPs. I enjoy reading your write ups about games in different stages of production. It gives people like me who aren't programmers deeper insight into how these games are developed and the amount of work that goes into developing them (same reason I read and went through all of Andrew's programming for newbies tutorials).

I think the main reason for the interest in this particular WIP is, like Moycon alluded to, that we hope this has a happy ending for you. No one likes seeing members get burned on something they invested so much time and money on.

I agree completely. It had an interesting story, and any game that can come back to life, especially something like a WIP is always good to know to the Atari community. I find it very interesting, just wish I had the money to be able to get a prototype. The one I would want to get is Shooting Arcade. Oh well, that'll have to wait.

WOW! It took me almost all moring to read this thread. I was so engrossed in it I almost got caught a couple times by the boss. Like most people reading this I'm just curious about the program now. The story behind it makes it all the more interesting. Besides the cost of the cartridge now you have to add a special lense and whatever else will be needed for the "surgery". I am patiently awaiting the outcome.

"Patient"ly awaiting?! No pun intended?! LOL!

WOW! It took me almost all moring to read this thread. I was so engrossed in it I almost got caught a couple times by the boss.  Like most people reading this I'm just curious about the program now.  The story behind it makes it all the more interesting.  Besides the cost of the cartridge now you have to add a special lense and whatever else will be needed for the "surgery".  I  am patiently awaiting the outcome.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow... I too am very intrigued by this. It's been about a month since the last post, so the inevitable question is, what's the current status? huh? huh? huh? :)

And if it's not too big of a deal, why is there a rift between AA and DP? I hadn't ran across DP yet, and after reading through their forums they seem to be the cool and classy people I've come to expect of classic gamers as experienced by this website. If you guys tried working together, it seems you may get a lot more accomplished (as you were both able to obtain a copy of the long lost prototype, I think this shows the value of both forums). And, as Captain Planet always said... "with your powers combined...!"

Just a thought, no offense meant/taken.

Look how long it's taking Lee to get Ixion released. I'm sure he's working as fast as he can on it, but I don't see people complaining that he's taking too long.

Not exactly as fast as I can. Well... yes, we are actually waiting on the other party and I am responsible for the lines of communication.. so I guess I can take this bullet.

Here is the deal. I was given the proto by a person who works in the games industry. The NWCGE staff was given specific instructions that we could not release the game nor the rom unless we got permission from the programmer(s). So I follow-up on some leads and find one of the people responsible. So I send emails and wait, and wait :ponder: .... and wait some more until one day I get a sliver of a response. Not saying yes, but not really saying no either. So I email again some more questions and wait..... and wait. I send another email and wait.... and I get another positive response to our inquiries.. Not wanting to be annoying or intimidating, we have not been sending emails every day or every week. At this point everything looks positive for IXION to be released. We are just trying to get communication to happen at a much faster pace. The slow down is from the other side. I don't think they place much as much value on seeing an old game like this being shared like us geeks do. Believe me, I want nothing more than to share this game (as many of you know, I am not a rom hoarder. Hell, I've been kicked off the Stella list for sharing unreleased protos to up and coming 2600 developers... ). IXION is a gem of a game. For those of you lucky to attend NWCGE this year and possibly CGE, you will get a chance to play it and hopefully, a chance to even obtain a copy for yourself... and yes, the rom would be released pending permission. The NWCGE staff and I honor all requests of this sort when asked. Otherwise, had I, or any of the other staff members for that matter, found the game in a thrift, flea or pawn, the game would be out there already. I've shared all my protos with everyone..... :D

Please be patient!

-Lee

Here is the deal. I was given the proto by a person who works in the games industry. The NWCGE staff was given specific instructions that we could not release the game nor the rom unless we got permission from the programmer(s). So I follow-up on some leads and find one of the people responsible. So I send emails and wait, and wait  .... and wait some more until one day I get a sliver of a response. Not saying yes, but not really saying no either. So I email again some more questions and wait..... and wait. I send another email and wait.... and I get another positive response to our inquiries.. Not wanting to be annoying or intimidating, we have not been sending emails every day or every week. At this point everything looks positive for IXION to be released

The same thing has happened to me with Risk. I seem to have lost contact with the programmer, and he did not want it released until he could finish the game map. So at the moment, Risk is in limbo but I'm sure it will get released eventually.

BTW there has been some news on Meltdown. The person looked at it again this weekend, but didn't make any progress. I'll keep everyone informed when some real progress has been made.

Tempest

And if it's not too big of a deal, why is there a rift between AA and DP?

There isn't really. There are basically a couple of people here who are upset with a couple of people over there. Many people here are also members over at DP.

And if it's not too big of a deal, why is there a rift between AA and DP?

There isn't really. There are basically a couple of people here who are upset with a couple of people over there. Many people here are also members over at DP.

So it's like Coke vs Pepsi, UT vs Texas A&M, Sony vs Nintendo vs Microsoft, etc., then? :P

There isn't really.  There are basically a couple of people here who are upset with a couple of people over there.  Many people here are also members over at DP.

And the converse, some of the folks over there are upset with folks here- it's pretty much the same few people on both sides, sadly, major players on both ends. Everyone seems to have justification.

I really hope I never get involved. I like all parties, despite my tight affiliation with DP. Doesn't mean I think that this guy is right over that guy. Classic gaming world is too small to hold grudges, if I can avoid it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought everyone would get a kick out of this. This is a picture of the actual Meltdown EPROM. To give some scale to the picture, that big black needle is actually a microscopic probe.

The EPROM is still being looked at, hopefully I'll have some new information soon.

Tempest

meltdown_chip.jpg