IGNORED

help needed with screenshots

Shernand

Hi,

I just brought a strange atari jr clone, supposedly with 128 games built in, and i can't indentify around 50 of the games in it (yes, that's right, 50!) so i wondered if anyone could lead me to an atari 2600 screenshot pack for download to help me identify the games, maybe i'm lucky and i can find a game never released or something like that, one never knows ;)

Tia,

Shernand

There are also plenty of screenshots here on AtariAge, probably more than at VG Museum.  (I'm not sure about that though, I've never actually compared the two sites for completeness.)

VgMuseum has more shots by far for example:

VgMuseum has shots of games like Bobby is going home while AA has none!

But really its best to look at BOTH sites as they are rather comprehensive

and AA has unique shots that VgMuseum does not have! ;)

There was once a discussion about adding a thumbnail page holding all of the screenshots (linked to the appropriate page when clicked)...but I guess that is on hold due to more pressing issues...like the forum software change. Adding a page of that sort would also be effective on eliminating "what game is this?" or "what game am I remembering?" posts. Just load the page and scroll around.

There was once a discussion about adding a thumbnail page holding all of the screenshots (linked to the appropriate page when clicked)...but I guess that is on hold due to more pressing issues...like the forum software change.  Adding a page of that sort would also be effective on eliminating "what game is this?" or "what game am I remembering?" posts.  Just load the page and scroll around.

A page like that would also be fairly taxing on the client and, depending on its popularity, the server as well. The Als might be justly afraid of unleashing something like this.

No...it already does it. Only one image at a time tho. If groups of small thumbnails (like 1 or 2 kb in size) were put on a page, I wouldn't think that it would be more taxing than some existing threads around here (like the photo thread). And there is already a gallery page of users...the same method could be used as a gallery page for games. Something like Lemon64 does...

http://www.lemon64.com/games/list.php?type...a&lineoffset=33

That way people could look at the page, and quickly discover which game it was that was on their mind :)

If the images were small enough and there were only ~20 per page, I don't think it would be a problem.

All of the PNG screenshots in the archive are really huge though (dimension-wise) and they've got a script that dynamically resizes them for when they appear in a smaller size on the individual game pages.

My understanding from an earlier post in this thread was that there was a vision for a single page with ALL of the screenshots. Cranking through on-the-fly resizing of roughly 600 images definitely WOULD be a problem... but, as I said in my first sentence...

There was once a discussion about adding a thumbnail page holding all of the screenshots (linked to the appropriate page when clicked)...but I guess that is on hold due to more pressing issues...like the forum software change.  Adding a page of that sort would also be effective on eliminating "what game is this?" or "what game am I remembering?" posts.  Just load the page and scroll around.

Yes, I still very much want to do this, and not just for screenshots. We would not display thumbs for every game on a single page, but say 50 or so at a time. Won't happen before the forum change, though. :)

..Al