IGNORED

Problems with 800XL

mlhooper

I recently acquired 2 800XL's. I was hoping that at least on of them would work, however they both have problems.

The first one ( We'll call it 800XL-A) only shows a light blue screen when turned on. That is all it will show no matter what I do to it. I took it apart and reset all of the chips that I could, but it did not help. The other one (800XL-B) will not let me turn off BASIC. I hold down the OPTION key while turning on the computer but it always comes up with BASIC enabled. I also tried pressing the reset key and it does not appear to work. I am thinking that none of the function keys work. Do any of you have any ideas on getting at least one of these to work? I am thinking I can cannibalize one to fix the other if I knew what parts to exchange.

Thanks for your assistance.

Sluggo

Hi Sluggo,

As for 800XL-A it could be anything, OS, keyboard, RAM, etc. If the chips are socketed and the systems haven't been used in a while check to make sure the contacts haven't oxidized (or maybe you've done that). It may also be wothwhile to disconnect the keyboard anyway to test the other machine.

For my old XL I'd to do remove the socketed chips and clean the contacts (using nail polish remover!). Once re-inserted and off I went again.

As for XL-B sounds like the KB, again check the contacts. You could though quite easily swap keyboards from A to B to test the function key theory. Do all other keys work?

Let us know you you get on!

Jayo.