IGNORED

Hooked on Berzerk....again!

StanJr

What is it about this stupid game. As an arcade port, its incomplete with non-diagonal shooting Automazeons. Its very simple, straight-forward shoot and run, and yet I'm playing HOURS of it lately! Of course I'm playing Game 9 with big bad Otto and no extra lives.

Maybe its the simplicity that makes it so addictive. Maybe someday I'll actually make it off Mazeon and free of Otto's clutches! :D

Whatever it is, big ups to Berzerk, once again! :)

Berzerk is one of the best games on the whole system! I know I've spent plenty of time playing it. I used to always play it on the easiest setting and go on for hours and hours. I love standing behind a wall and letting all the robots kill themselves! It was done very well for the technology.

"Berzerk" has easily remained in my top ten 2600 games list since I first got it Christmas day 1982. I agree with Stan; even though it's not a perfect port of the arcade original it's still pretty much a perfect 2600 experience. The "Berzerk VE" hack just puts it over the top, too!

BTW, I just noticed that the manual scan IS on the site even though the main "Berzerk" page doesn't have a link to it via the ManButton_gray.gifManual Scan button.

Berzerk is and always will be a great game for the VCS.

I say a hearty "MEH" to all the whiners who complain about the lack diagnol shooting robots. The game is pretty damn fun the way it is...addictive and simple.

Plus, nothing beats lining up your player just right so that an enemy's bullet passes right through the tiny empty space in the player's neck area!

I liked the game when it was new and I would have crapped my pants if they would have had the arcade voices, but even that hacked version does nothing for me. The real arcade version is the same. I remember the first time I played Berzerk at a gas station. I thought it was so cool and later when I we bought it for our Atari 2600, I was pretty darn happy. I guess sometimes you just move on and you can't recapture the love for some games. It's not like that for all games though.

I've always loved 2600 berzerk. I am really suprised (especially with the voices being added,) that someone didnt take the time to at least add some more maze layouts...

Check thru the Berzerk Hacks.

There are several that I can think of that change the layouts:

Berzerk Arena

Doomzerk

Otto's Revenge

THX-1138

And probably a few others. Of course I have to mention a few more. :D

WESTWORLD BERZERK

z26p0000(2).gif

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dl...geid=139406&ck=

Hacked with Out Of Gas

BORGWARS BERZERK

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups...gscreenshot.gif

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dl...geid=154921&ck=

Hacked with Atari Troll

BERZERK NEO

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups...79/z26p0002.gif

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dl...geid=160243&ck=

Evil Otto is present in Game 1 (Arcade Difficulty)

QUICK DRAW (Mystique Adult)

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups...z26p0003(2).gif

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dl...geid=156634&ck=

Hack inspired by Retrofans Lovezerk(Not Released)

I love Berzerk!!!! All of the above page links have BIN Download links.

Just an update. I am porting the Westworld Berzerk Hack over to the Atari 5200.

Man now I know why I love this forum, cuase you guys are talking about one of my all time favorite Atari 2600 game ever! I rememeber that day in Toys 'R' Us in Brooklyn NY with my mother early in the day in 1983 and I saw that game and it was THE very first game I payed for with my own money I saved up for weeks and at age 11 that was alot. I still have that game with both the manual and box:D Even if my mother got me the VCS for my fifth birthday in 77 with all 9 games and now I have over 200 2600 games I still love to play Berzerk for hours and hours.

Yes, Berzerk is a pretty nice and easy game to play. I tried that level nine after reading your post; and it is a hard level, since you can't earn extra lives; but I did manage to get over 4800. What's your top score for that level? For a while, I was just playing on level one; and you'd have to be pretty uncoordinated to lose on that level. If you want a really easy level, you might take a look at the last level, level 12. Not only does Evil Otto never show up; but the robots never shoot at you, so you'd have to have your head up your rear end to lose on that level; but once in a while you walk in on a screen that has robots right on top of you; and there's no possible way to avoid one of them running into you. My favorite games for Atari 2600 hundred are Missile Command, the Pac-Man sequels Ms. Pac-Man and Jr. Pac-Man(my favorite of the Pac-Man sequels for Atari 2600), Asteroids, and Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator, which will hopefully be arriving at my house next week or so. I wish I could I knew of an arcade near where I live that would have the coin-operated version of Berzerk, so I can see how challenging that is.

God bless, Jason Irelan

Do you always just play level nine? Or do you ever play the easier levels like level 12?

God bless, Jason Irelan

P.S. Why did the reply to my other post wind up in my bulk mail instead of my inbox? That's a question for moderators that I'm hoping they'll be able to answer.

I've never even seen that mock-up before. SWEET! I'd love to have a version of hand-held football on the VCS. This would be a totally cool home-brew project for someone to tackle. HA! "tackle"! I kill me.

Maybe football 2, but SWEET! I love the handhelds, and none (except for super football, in my top 5) of the VCS versions are good. How is the 7800 football game?

yeah, I pretty much just play Game 9, its the only one I find challenging anymore. :)

I think I'll try that tonight and see if I like it better. But I refuse to masturbate while doing it as your signature suggests.

ooooookay, but you are missing out.... :ponder: ;)