IGNORED

Why do I find the best stuff when I'm not even trying?

HawgWyld

I had an interesting week as far as 2600 finds go. The odd thing, I wasn't even trying to find anything at all. Oddly, when I'm out actively looking for stuff, I seem to run across dozens of copies of Pac-Man and Combat.

At any rate, a friend of mine came up to me at work and told me she had been cleaning out her garage. She said, "I know you like those old video games, so I thought maybe you could use this." She then handed me six of those Atari modular, stacking cart library thingies (Model ORG 500 -- made in America and hold 14 carts and docs apiece). Not that big a deal, but four of them were still in their original boxes and I've found a good use for them. She told me she also had about 50 carts in her garage and would hand them over as soon as she found them. Not bad!

On Saturday, I went over to Vintage Stock with my son so we could escape my wife's shopping for a few minutes. We went over to look at GameCube stuff, but I found the following 2600 carts:

1. Dark Cavern -- $0.50

2. Entombed -- $1

3. Frogs and Flies -- $1

4. Plaque Attack -- $1

5. Rock N' Rope -- $1

6. Shark Attack -- $1

Not a bad haul, really, especially because everything was pretty cheap. I know none of those have a rarity higher than "5" on the AA guide, but not bad. Particularly since I went in intending to maybe pick up a copy of Zoo Cube or something for the GameCube.

I'm starting to think since there's not many retrogamers around here, to raid the local Salvation Army and/or Goodwill... :roll:

There are not many classic stuff left there to be raided. :P Most Goodwill and Salvation stores never had anything but $5 Genesis carts.

Not the good ones either, just the earliest sports ones :roll:

Just got an atari with 30 games for $30 at good will.

all common, but still a good deal.

New store just opened recently about 40 minutes from my home.

The place is great.

Common games for $2

Commons in boxes for $3

and I will be picking up these today at $4 each:

Strawberry Shortcake

Raft Rider

Gyruss

Tac Scan

Super Cobra

:D :D :D

There aren't as many as there were a few years ago, but I still find them if I search like mad.

I call 3 different Good Will stores every week.

Tag Sales every Saturday morning.

Ocassionally I put Ads in papers.

Flea Markets every now and then on Sunday mornings.

Call 4 Specialty / Consignment shops once a week.

It's a lot of work and it takes a very understanding wife :D , but there is stuff out there.

Not a bad deal at all! That's like buying 30 common carts and they threw in an Atari to play them. Honestly, I think three things have happened around here that have cut into what's available at thrift stores:

1. eBay

2. Game Exchange and Vintage Stock are very visible in most of the towns up here. Game Exchange typically has a slew of Atari carts (I go and look in the "big, cardboard box" at the Fayetteville, Ark., location at least once every couple of months) and Vintage Stock appears to be getting more Atari stuff these days. It'd be my guess a lot of folks just sell there old stuff there rather than donate it.

3. Our population has doubled over the past decade. When people pack up and leave an area, don't they typically get rid of stuff they don't want to carry with them? I'd wager a lot of the newbies here dumped their vintage video game stuff before they moved.

Yesterday I passed on:

a complete N64 $13. The Video cable was one of those multi system types for the Genny and Saturn.

Saturn missing some kind of plugin card in the back $8

untested PS for $9

Did pick up:

Interplay's 10 Year Anthology ('83 - '93) CIB $4

It's rather cool because the cd has a data track and 20 Music tracks.

Games:

Mindshadow

Tass Times

Bard's Tale

Wasteland

Dragon Wars

Battle Chess

Lord of the Rings (yep that one)

Castles

Star Trek 25th Anniversary

Out of this World

Music: