IGNORED

Strange questions but...

EricDeLee

If there are protos out there that people currently have... where's the ROM for these things? I noticed while digging in the old threads... that there are people on Atariage that actually own Eye of the Beholder, Relief Pitcher (only 3 people) and other Protos... so what gives on the release of the ROMS? Other games as well... such as Driving School Theory Test <--- (What the heck is it anyway?). Also... I read that there was a debate concerning who 'owns' the rights to Daemeon's Gate. If there really isn't an owner, can someone turn in there copy to have a ROM burned?

What other games are not listed on Atariage.com? Is there a way to 'mark' which games were released after the Lynx was shelved on the rarity list (A symbol to signify it as a 'new' release or something would be cool). I understand that Songbird is really good at making things legal... so that they own the actual games. Are any of their games homebrewed? Or are they actual continuations of what was in progress before LYNX was, in my opinion, mistakenly shelved?

(On that note, It is a shame Lynx was shelved for the Jag. Now I have NEVER played a Jag... but I will soon. Its a shame though that they couldn't have kept both markets at the same time).

Okay... that was plenty of questions. Everyone dig in and help me understand!

Other games as well... such as Driving School Theory Test  <--- (What the heck is it anyway?).  

The Drivin School Theory Test is a german Lynx educational program, not a game.

It was sold with a Lynx, some paperwork and a nice suitcase to driving schools here in germany. With the help of the program driving pupils were able to do some studying for the driving theory test they had to do before they could actualy start the "driving" part of the school.

The program itself is more or less only an multiple choice test (in german of course).

I had one (with suitcase and all) but i sold it to davidcalgary.

Also... I read that there was a debate concerning who 'owns' the rights to Daemeon's Gate.  If there really isn't an owner, can someone turn in there copy to have a ROM burned?  

"Daemon's Gate" is available from a number of third-party retailers on EPROM.

What other games are not listed on Atariage.com?  Is there a way to 'mark' which games were released after the Lynx was shelved on the rarity list (A symbol to signify it as a 'new' release or something would be cool).  

The only complete Lynx title that is not listed on the site is "Metal Mutant" (correct title?), but that's now presumed to be lost. There are also at least eight complete homebrew Lynx games out there, but I'm sure that their authors wouldn't want the ROM images of these games floating around.

I understand that Songbird is really good at making things legal... so that they own the actual games.  Are any of their games homebrewed?  Or are they actual continuations of what was in progress before LYNX was, in my opinion, mistakenly shelved?

I understand that "Lexis" and, of course, "Loopz" were substantially complete before Songbird acquired licensing rights to the titles. "Cybervirus" required substantial upgrading, and all other Songbird titles, as far as I'm aware, are original titles.

(On that note, It is a shame Lynx was shelved for the Jag.  Now I have NEVER played a Jag... but I will soon.  Its a shame though that they couldn't have kept both markets at the same time).

Well, I started collection Jaguar after the Lynx, and now that I own most titles, I'm still not sure if I'm happy with it... (the money I spent on it that is :|) I mean, there are some good to very good games, but imo most games are so-so or worse (read: garbage) , especially compared to the quality of the Lynx's games list.

From a historical perspective (even though it's not very old) I do like the Jaguar and some of it's novelties and typical Atari brandmarks.

Most systems were new to me when I started collecting for them, but I *might* dispose of my Jaguar some day, while I cannot imagine parting with my Lynx. But then again, in the Jaguar forum, I think there's a lot of people who'll tell the opposite story :P

Is there a lynx emu for the lynx? Like, Lode runner is a proto, and there is a rom for it, and it works on most lynx emus, but the game wont work on a real lynx!

Yes, you can use the HANDY emulator to play Lynx ROMs. You should be able to find it easily through a web search. :)

Is there a LYNX emu for the LYNX? (like, handy for the lynx, so you can play lynx roms such as lode runner, and adjust the settings.)

Thats what I meant.

Is there a lynx emu for the lynx? Like, Lode runner is a proto, and there is a rom for it, and it works on most lynx emus, but the game wont work on a real lynx!

Yes, you can use the HANDY emulator to play Lynx ROMs. You should be able to find it easily through a web search. :)

Is there a LYNX emu for the LYNX? (like, handy for the lynx, so you can play lynx roms such as lode runner, and adjust the settings.)

Thats what I meant.

Um, no. The closest that you're going to get to that is the purchase of a Lynx development kit, and this is far too sophisticated and expensive for most users. I do not know much about emulators, but I think that I can state that, in general terms, eumulators only run well on systems that are more advanced than the hardware that is being emulated. I just don't think that the Lynx hardware would be fast enough to run another 8-bit emulator smoothly.

A BLL cable and cartridge that has a BLL loader (Alpine Games has one) will let you download code to the lynx (usually *.o files, just like the Lode Runner executable that is listed here at AA and erroneously renamed to *.lnx). The only issue is that these programs can only sit in the memory of the Lynx and once you turn it off, it's gone.

Well, I started collection Jaguar after the Lynx, and now that I own most titles, I'm still not sure if I'm happy with it... (the money I spent on it that is :|) I mean, there are some good to very good games, but imo most games are so-so or worse (read: garbage) , especially compared to the quality of the Lynx's  games list.

From a historical perspective (even though it's not very old) I do like the Jaguar and some of it's novelties and typical Atari brandmarks.

Most systems were new to me when I started collecting for them, but I *might* dispose of my Jaguar some day, while I cannot imagine parting with my Lynx.

I agree. The Jaguar and The Lynx are two great systems to enjoy playing games on and to collect for! But while the Jaguar in my opinion is "only" a fantastic machine the Lynx is so much more. It's hard to find the right words to describe my feelings for this little grey friend - the Atari Lynx! There never was and there never will be a better system! :D

Im sure I will start collection Jag games again some day but now I have sold most of my Jaguar collection :| But still have a couple of games left. Protector anyone? Send me a PM if intrested.

I feel the same way to. I bouth a lynx 1 when it first came out inthe U for £130. I still have the box but the lynx is long gone. About 5 years ago I bought a new lynx 2 and have been collection for it ever since. My jaguar is sat in my loft as I only have 2 games for it - kasumin ninja (which is terrible) and baldies on CD (which I can't play as I dont have the cd add-on yet).

The Jag will be staying put and not resting alongside my other consoles in my games room, it's just not good enough (yet) :D

Also... I read that there was a debate concerning who 'owns' the rights to Daemeon's Gate.  If there really isn't an owner, can someone turn in there copy to have a ROM burned?  

"Daemon's Gate" is available from a number of third-party retailers on EPROM.

Which does not make it more legal... and i guess the "number" is smaller than two.

Question is only: Why didnt anyone dump it to a file?

I too want to finish my Lynx collection prior to moving to anything else (I was going to really focus again on Atari 2600... but got side tracked with my big Atari Lynx deal). I will be happy to get all of the commercially released games. But it seems like some of the games are debated if they were released during Lynx's heydays.

For instance: Hyperdrome. Is it an official release before the Lynx was shelved... or after?

I will collect the stuff from Songbird in time, but I want the main ones first. I think I'm only missing Battlezone 2000, Robotron, and Hyperdrome (if it was an official release). I'll post a list sometime soon to have everyone check it for missing titles