IGNORED

Remakes of Atari games

Ze_ro

Just yesterday at my local game store I saw some sort of 3-D Centipede for the PC. Looked at least a couple years old, and pretty lackluster

:roll:

Yah. That's what I heard when it came out. Never played it myself.

Though it was probably more like Centipede than 3D Frogger was like Frogger.

figgler> Just yesterday at my local game store I saw some sort of 3-D Centipede for the PC. Looked at least a couple years old, and pretty lackluster

I have this for the Dreamcast... it's not too bad, but the framerate is rather poor (this might not be the case on the PC. It's almost exactly like what you'd expect a 3D version of Centipede to be. The main hard part is the fact that you can't see the entire maze at once, and there's so much chaos going on that you often back into stuff by mistake. However, the graphics are nice, and there's lots of nice additions to it. It's pretty fun overall. If the PC version has a higher framerate than the DC version, I'd recommend trying it out.

ZylonBane> Defender 2000 was a decidedly inferior effort.

Blasphemy! I love Defender 2000... only problem is that everything is so fast and large that you almost have to play the game through the scanner... if it wasn't for this, I'd probably consider it the best Jaguar game around.

figgler> There are remakes of Defender - a 3D version for the 3 current home consoles and a more traditional one (which rocks by the way) for the GBA.

I had heard that the GBA version was awful... I've never played it myself though. Any else have any opinions on it?

--Zero

figgler> There are remakes of Defender - a 3D version for the 3 current home consoles and a more traditional one (which rocks by the way) for the GBA.

I had heard that the GBA version was awful... I've never played it myself though. Any else have any opinions on it?

--Zero

The only GBA Defender I have is a port of the arcade game in the William's Arcade cartridge.

if nothing else, the new GBA Defender includes the old school "original arcade version"
Yes, but William's Arcade gets you original Defender AND Joust, as well as a half-decent Robotron and a less-than-stellar Sinistar.

i got a triple pack of infogrammes old atari remakes, had warlords and 2 others in it.

I agree that the 2000 mode of jag d2k isnt all it could be, but the 2 classic modes are the best versions of defender ive ever played, and that includes the arcade.

i got a triple pack of infogrammes old atari remakes, had warlords and 2 others in it.

I agree that the 2000 mode of jag d2k isnt all it could be, but the 2 classic modes are the best versions of defender ive ever played, and that includes the arcade.

Warlords, Missile Command, and Combat.

Missile Command was actually developed by Hasbro. And after stuff like Frogger, it's incredibly good work for the company.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have the Combat/Missile Command/Warlords package but have never played any of them because I picked it up for 10 bucks at Sam's Club despite the fact that I run Linux (hey, the Transgaming people do keep getting better at what they do, I figure sooner or later I'll have a shot at it. At the time they would actually install but then crash at runtime.)

GBA Defender is the worst piece of crap I've ever paid full price for on any system. I cannot believe how bad it is. There are 3 modes. The total rewrite mode with modern graphics, power-ups, new aliens and all that stuff bears no resemblance at all to Defender feelwise, and Defender was all about feel. It's slow, clunky, and just not fun to play. And everything is way too big. The "graphic makeover of classic Defender" mode is not as bad because the speed is right and everything's at least the right size, but the overly busy background makes it damn near impossible to play even with the SP's built-in light due to lack of contrast with the enemies and bullets. I'm sure it looked really nice on the developer's 21" monitor under emulation. And as the final insult, to pretend as if it were an emulation of some kind despite being on a completely different-sized screen, processor, etc, the "classic Defender" version tries to emulate the arcade console controls (up/down/reverse) rather than just using the d-pad like the other two modes. And you can't remap the keys at all; the "control definitions" screen just tells you what they are, like it was left unfinished or something. There are countless shareware and free clones of Defender out there that work better than this.

It just plain sucks.

Now, it seems to me that Defender and/or Stargate was made for the NES at some point so I may be able to play it in some better form, and in fact there may even be a GBC version of it somewhere, but unless you get GBA Defender for free, stay the hell away from it so you don't make the same mistake I did.