IGNORED

Millipede: better than the 5200 version?

Chris-in-NJ

I was waxing poetic about how great I thought 5200 Millipede was a couple of months back, yet now I've got myself 2600 Millipede and I like it more. The game-play is more faithful to the arcade game than the 5200 version, which starts out way too easy. In the 2600, we've got the "everything" swarms which the 5200 lacks, and the fleas can crawl along the bottom of the screen during a swarm, unlike the 5200. Bonuses every 15000 instead of 10000 really increases the difficulty.

One thing not quite right, however: killing an insect during a swarm with a DDT bomb will not give you triple its value, rather what it'd be worth had it been shot normally instead. The arcade game and 5200 version will triple the point value up to 1000, the 2600 doesn't.

I'm amazed Atari was able to fit all this onto a 2600 cartridge. Just out of curiousity, how much larger is the 5200 ROM for this?

Like someone's signature here, it's not the graphics that count, it's the play-value :P

I should check how it works on the Cuttle Cart 1....

It isn't the hardware, it is the ROM. All it does is roll slowly on the title screen, and then rolls violently on the game screen. So unless you have a tv that is very forgiving of incorrect scanline count, I don't think it will work. :)

Maybe we could get a programmer to go in there and make it closer to the correct amount of scanlines :ponder:

Has anyone tried the GCC version on a real 2600 with a trackball? Please tell me if it plays as well as or better than the released version of Millipede with a trackball. The reason I ask is because this is one of my absolute favorite games and I would love to have an actual cart of the GCC version if it is better. 8)

Maybe we could get a programmer to go in there and make it closer to the correct amount of scanlines :ponder:

Yes, that's because the game seems to be programmed for PAL. I'll have a look, might be quite easy to fix.

How about the colors when playing on z26, are they correct with NTSC palette?

Yes, that's because the game seems to be programmed for PAL. I'll have a look, might be quite easy to fix.

How about the colors when playing on z26, are they correct with NTSC palette?

The colors displayed on my TV are neither consistent with the screen shots that Tempest has posted nor with how Z26 displays the game. Most notably, the large title screen mushroom is blue and red (vs pinkish brown and green on Z26), the colored playfield band is green rather than blue, and the spiders are pink rather than green (on the first screen). My television multi-syncs so the game doesn't roll but it does display too low on the screen (as all of the PAL games do for me). The game certainly appears to be PAL but why would GCC have been programming for PAL? Weren't they US based?

The game certainly appears to be PAL but why would GCC have been programming for PAL?

I don't know, but part of the reason might be, that at least the prototype cannot be adjusted to display the correct 262 scanlines for NTSC. The offscreen calculations take a lot of time, something around 284 is the best I can get. Sorry! :(

But I'll check the code a bit more now. Maybe I find some easy to optimize code.

Anyone know if the GCC versions supports the trackball in real trackball mode?

I just tried it out and can safely say that it does not. It's also a hell of a lot more awkward to use with a trackball in JS mode than the release version is. The movements are too jerky to get accurate control.

Atari 2600 Millipede is amazing! Definitely one of the best games made for the system. I've never played the 5200 version, so I can't comment on it.

--Jason

I agree. It's easily one of my favorites. I'm hoping it gets picked for the High Score Club one of these weeks...