IGNORED

Unique Sears Games?

atarimind

Are they any good?

Steeplechase is fun for up to four players. Alone it is a yawn.

Stellar Trak is like Star Trek on mainframes back in the 60s & early 70s. "The Klingons are firing on you."

Submarine Commander is interesting for five minutes.

What Rob said. They're a lot more interesting to own than they are to play.

No, the four "unique" sears games

were Stellar, steeple, Submarine

and the fourth was Super Breakout

for a year....I wonder if Atari

promised Sears that would always

be an exclusive and then reconsidred?

anyway, SB is one of my faves..

I thought Sub commander was decent.

Thats the hardest to find....

Around 1982 Sears was having its own problems. Their policy of rebranding everything they sold was starting to backfire on them. Shoddy goods in one area cast a bad reflection on all other Sears products. Their agreements with Atari probably weren't a big concern at the time.

It's probable that Sears only had the exclusivity rights for one Xmas season, the time when a new game sells the most. Super Breakout was certainly the only Sears title popular enough to release in other stores under the Atari label. Notice that it was released right after Xmas. Sears probably demanded a hot title for a change. All of the Sears exclusives were Xmas releases (80-82) I believe.

The first non-Sears brand item sold at Sears were Activision carts in the summer of 82. Atari sold games under their own label at Sears starting in September 82.

Atari programmed the games. Sears had a contract for exclusive titles, so Atari gave them some of their weaker games. Remember that at the time Sears dominated retail the way that WalMart does today. Atari would do anything to get that shelf space.

People must have been really confused when the Intellivision appeared as the Sears Super Video Arcade.