IGNORED

Atari 2600 are popping up again

atari70s

I remember 5 yrs ago that you can get an atari 2600 real easily. like every garage sale or thirft shop had aleast 4 or 5. then we went though a period where you had a hard time locating one. unless you were on this board or went to yahoo or ebay. it would be the only easy way to get one. anyway last 4 weeks at ebgames ive come across 10 or so systems. are people who arent the diehard gamers like you guys getting sick of their systems and games and just trying to get out. perhaps this will mean more rarities to be had down the road. maybe its me but ive noticed this trend.

Actually I run across more atari systems and games at yard sales and flea markets then any other systems.I got about 20 systems Iam sitting on til november to ebay.Over the past 5 years Ive run across hundreds of 2600 systems and thousands of games..guess it depends on what part of the country your in.Over those years Ive only found 2 colecovisions and a handful of games.Plus for every atari system I found Ive had twice as many people say they still had there old atari and games packed away.I know there is still untold treasure hidden away in attics and basement but if it ever surfaces is another story.

it would be the only easy way to get one. anyway last 4 weeks at ebgames ive come across 10 or so systems.  

Really, when was that Gamerthegeek? EB hasn't ever carried 2600 game systems AFAIK.

I think you mean -> http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39342. ;)

Good to see some people are still paying attention. 8)

Why is that handle still active? :ponder: :?

I think the answer is simple.

Thanks to the advent of emulation and products like those Jakks controllers, people are finding these methods of retro gaming more efficient/easier, thus eliminating the need to buy and keep their consoles and massive collections of carts.

On the other hand, there are those who are simply growing tired of the retro game movement. I have experienced this to some extent mainly with the NES...I discovered NES emulation in 1997 and have basically overloaded myself replaying the NES classics I grew up with. That said, I can't even stand looking at NES games anymore...nor do I support Nintendo's agenda of repackaging NES and Super NES titles into the GBA format.

But still, those of you who are collectors, here's your chance to go nuts. It's a buyer's market right now.

Yes, I agree that it is a buyer's market at the moment, and probably will remain so. My guess is that anyone who wants to collect is now doing so, and there will be little to no increase in those collectors.

I filled in about 1/2 of the NES games in existance in just 3 years time, and for not much of a fortune. If I paid more than $1000 for the 400 or so games I have, that's a lot.

And I'm still missing many common games. I haven't been actively looking for games either, since money has been tight with the upcoming wedding, but I"ll look to continue afterwards.

Funcoland helped a lot and I bought many games for $2 or less there that I was missing. Though I think most of them stopped carrying NES games, or their supply has pretty much dwindled on those that still do.

Phil