IGNORED

OBELIX CARTRIDGE

oldschool4life

Hi, I got a question for the serious collector. I just got a new piece for my collection today! OBELIX! but, I'm not sure about its place of origin. I've looked at both images on the list here the one rated a 7 has a "p" on the end, and is dated 1983. The one rated a 10 has the ' above the be and is also dated 1983. The one I have has neither the "p" or the "'over the b" It is however a silver label Atari 2600 style label, but IT IS DATED 1986!! Has anyone out there ever seen one like this? also the end labe has the * symbol after the "X" the cart # is 26117. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

this is what always got me about atari . SOOO many label varations.

most were done cause of the copyright year on the car changed.

the orange breakout, blue defender ( both 86) the silver Hangman (86) but then alot of the text labeled games like concentration and such came out with pic (black pic labels) in 86. witha black sticker covering up the joystick only text.

1985 they had 2 silver versions of Centipede one with a red text and one if i remember with orange text.

the wierder of the 86 varations is championship soccer (CX2616) changed to Pele's soccer.

what was atari thinking.? i think the 86 orange and blue labels are kinda cool. but why would atari change a title of a game? was there legal issues with "Championship soccer" and who was this pele person?

i think also think of 6 varations of the atari (CX2632) Space invaders game. why

yep i guess like when i was here long ago (3 yrs ago) im still interested in teh label varations. more now trying to understand why instead of hunting every one down.

What makes the difference between the 7 and 10 rating is the system the cartridges were built for : NTSC = USA (and Japan if I'am not wrong) or PAL (Europe and some other contries)

Obelix PAL carts (p) were more produced than the NTSC ones.

So if your cart is NTSC, it's more rare and it's rating 10 ;)

Damn, no more edit button :(

I forgot to say that some PAL carts doesn't have the "p" on the label.

In some cases, it's more efficient to test the cart on your system than to reffer only to the label to define it's format.

e.g. I own 2 Obelix PAL carts :

They haven't the same front label : the 2nd one is slightly different as the red title screen is very thin and cross all the label (it's not limited by the silver borders as the picture shown on the Atari Age Database).

One has the 'p' letter on the end label and the other not but both are PAL.

I am in New York & The cartridge was purchased at a yard sale last weekend! I know for a fact that you hardly ever find this cart anywhere else other than ebay. So I consider myself lucky to say the least! Also this is an american cartridge not a PAL, I own both types of Atari systems (US version & PAL version) This cartridge works on the US version perfectly! I also got Tax Avoiders, Bumper Bash, Gas Hog, Threshold & Crazy Climber at this sale. I think what happened was the ladies son was away and he was a collector of Atari 2600 & other systems too. I bought his whole collection for only $100, and theat included some 500 Atari 2600 carts plus 2 boxed systems, Nintendo 8-Bit & a complete Sega Master system. And other assorted goodies too! :D :D :D :D

I am in New York & The cartridge was purchased at a yard sale last weekend! I know for a fact that you hardly ever find this cart anywhere else other than ebay. So I consider myself lucky to say the least! Also this is an american cartridge not a PAL, I own both types of Atari systems (US version & PAL version) This cartridge works on the US version perfectly! I also got Tax Avoiders,  Bumper Bash, Gas Hog, Threshold & Crazy Climber at this sale. I think what happened was the ladies son was away and he was a collector of Atari 2600 & other systems too. I bought his whole collection for only $100, and theat included some 500 Atari 2600 carts plus 2 boxed systems, Nintendo 8-Bit & a complete Sega Master system.  And other assorted goodies too! :D  :D  :D  :D

Post some pictures because you definitely got the sale of the century there.

"Believe, but verify" That's a saying we use in our title company. Believe it to be real, but verify the existance. In other words, post some pics and more people would believe. A lot of claims have been brought up in the past to find out they were false. But if this is true, then you'd better sit back and count your blessings as that was a once in a lifetime find.

Where in New York are you? I spoke with a guy recently who was going to come back to the NY area around Aug 13 or so (he's been living in SF) and sell off a ton of stuff in his garage--tons of atari stuff, TI carts, old TRS-80 and Commodore computers, early Macs and stuff. unfortunately we missed each other and I never got to come over and see his stash o' stuff. Perhaps you found him?

I think what happened was the ladies son was away and he was a collector of Atari 2600 & other systems too. I bought his whole collection for only $100, and theat included some 500 Atari 2600 carts plus 2 boxed systems, Nintendo 8-Bit & a complete Sega Master system.  And other assorted goodies too! :D  :D  :D  :D

In that case that son's mother probably just sold his son's pride and joy which would be valued at over 10 times what she sold it for. This means, to me:

a) You're fibbing. :) Seriously, I can't count the amount of times I've seen somebody come on pretending to have a great score.

b) This mother obviously has no idea of her son's life. You don't collect that much stuff without other people noticing, so she must know it would have meant something to him.

Personally I think it's a wind-up. Call me a cynic if you like. :)