IGNORED

Heya, this is my first 5200 post

Hi, I'm a longtime 5200 fanatic. I had a 2-port throughout the 80s. I couldn't afford many games , but I played them all so often that when I see the arcade version of Pac-Man, the maze looks too skinny to me. I've grown to prefer the blobby Pookah and Fygar in Dig Dug to their more detailed arcade counterparts. Has anyone else here gotten that accustomed to the 5200 versions?

I even loved the controllers. I thought they were the coolest thing I had ever seen, and I haven't really matured much beyond that (I'm 32 now). Other than Super Pac-Man, they've never given me a problem. In the system I had during the 80s, the joysticks never broke.

Last year, I bought a new system from a seller in West Palm Beach, Pat Boccia. He's a nice guy, very trustworthy, and I got a great console from him. I hadn't played the 5200 in over a decade and was a bit surprised at how primitive the graphics look now, but it didn't take me any time to get into the games all over again; I ordered a few more games last week. I finally got to play Ball Blazer and Gremlins for the first time and definitely got hooked.

I know it's pure nostalgia, so don't come at me with rational argument, but I doubt I'll ever find another gaming system I'll love as much at this big, gallumphing 57 Cadillac of a console. Sometimes I just like to look at it. It still looks like some strange, wonderful device, while - to my eyes - most other consoles look downright drab by comparison. OK, call the men in white coats now. But, hey, I teach English in an inner-city public high school in Philly, so what better way to unwind than an evening with the 5200?

Speaking of Philly, I've never been to Philly Classic, but I really want to go next year. How has anyone here who attended liked it?

I'm getting a 7800 soon, and I asked this same question at the 7800 forum, but I also wanted to know from my fellow 5200 die-hards: how do the 7800 Robotron and Mario Bros. compare to the 5200 versions?

Mike

Welcome to AtariAge!

Yes, the Atari 5200 is a great system and my favorite as well. There are lots of great games for it. Check out the 5200 forums archive for some great topics. There are a number of really great games that have just come out or are coming out soon.

Philly Classic is a great show. Don't miss it next spring. Lots of us will be there. Defintely worth going.

Some newer 5200 games to get are Koffi, Castle Blast, Super Pac Man and Millipede. Check out the AtariAge store for some newer 5200 games.

Plus keep an eye out for Burger Drop and Adventure which should be out some time this year.

Allan

Thanks, Allan :)

I've bought 3 games from AtariAge so far: Super Pac-Man, Jr. Pac-Man and Millipede. They're a lot of fun, and if only they had been released in 1984, maybe the 5200 would have had a second wind back then. Oddly, though, Super Pac-Man is the only game where I actually do have problems with the controllers. Has anyone else? It's still fun, though. Many thanks to the AtariAge folks for releasing the reproductions.

It's also nice and sneaky for those of us who love the controllers to play against other people, cause we can usually whomp em. The 5200 sticks are also the only controller I played with then that didn't leave a lefty like me at a disadvantage. I have the Trakball and Wico stick, but I don't use them very often. The Trakball (definitely not designed for lefties) looks wonderful on the shelf, though. The Wico stick inspires a lot of rude remarks I can't repeat on a family-friendly forum.

As for Koffi and the other genuinely new games, I thought I'd try them out at PhillyClassic before deciding which ones to get. I'm definitely gonna get Beef Drop.

As for Koffi and the other genuinely new games, I thought I'd try them out at PhillyClassic before deciding which ones to get.  I'm definitely gonna get Beef Drop.

Koffi is the best 5200 homebrew to date. It's still one of my favorite games released or otherwise for the 5200.

Welcome to AtariAge !

While the Atari 2600 is by far my favorite system, the 5200 definitely comes in second for me. (and I have one or two systems... ;) )

I love the look of the 5200 too, and for me, nothing beats Missile Command or Centipede with the trak ball.

Two games I am missing from my 5200 collection are Robotron and Space Dungeon. I have had lots of opportunities to get them, but I keep waiting to find a joystick coupler. From what I hear, playing those games with the joystick coupler is as good as it gets.

And if you loved Adventure for the 2600, Adventure 2 for the 5200 is coming out (hopefully) this year, and it looks really amazing so far.

As for the Philly Expo, I have heard nothing but great things and am already looking forward to Spring and making my first trip too.

Wow, someone who likes Atari consoles and Doctor Who, my sort of person!

I've got a few common 5200 games I could sell or trade. They are:

Super Breakout

Galaxian

Star Raiders

Kangaroo

Pac-Man

Vanguard

Frogger

Football

Joust

If you've got any rare Doctor Who or British TV to trade I might be interested as well :-)