IGNORED

Choplifter on 2600

atari70s

Only IF they seriously cut down the number of hostages. The original Choplifter could easily have over a dozen little hostages running around on the same horizontal level-- flicker hell for any 2600 kernel.

Maybe by using missiles (and multiple copies of them) the flicker could be just acceptable.

Hi there!

Only IF they seriously cut down the number of hostages. The original Choplifter could easily have over a dozen little hostages running around on the same horizontal level-- flicker hell for any 2600 kernel.

Maybe by using missiles (and multiple copies of them) the flicker could be just acceptable.

Multiple missiles would also mean multiple sprites, so when reserving a whole horizontal stripe for hostages only, you can do up to 12 hostages there or even 24 at 30Hz...

I think Rob had a cool layout idea for doing Choplifter on [stella] a while ago.

Greetings,

Manuel

i think it was in atari age vol 2 issue 4 or 5  

had a cool screen shot. not bad i think it would have made a great game for the 2600

Volume 2 number 4, page 13.

I don't think that the screen would have been possible on a 2600, though. :ponder:

post-1863-1094257311_thumb.jpg

Either that or just a composite drawing. The odds of a 2600 game looking like that are mighty slim. Although I do remember having a dream about playing a Choplifter! type game for the 2600 once. It was called something like 'Atari Matari.' (why such a weird name? Because dreams are handled by one side of the brain, while processing text is done on the other side. This is why when we're dreaming, text can look really weird!)