IGNORED

2600 Pong port?

Gryzor

Well, I'll be darned, but I've looked places and I can't find whether there existed a 2600 version of Pong... All I've found is a Sear's version which is not very authentic! Any suggestions?

Pong is found on [/url]

Sears version of Video Olympics is called Pong Sports

Another wacky version of Pong is called Mondo Pong

A new version of Pong is called Joustpong

Others?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Wow. I would think that Pong would be one of the first releases for the 2600 in its pure, unadulterated form... I'd like to have a cartridge saying PONG in reassuring white letters on a black background and having only a couple basic variations... This version, btw (am away from my PC and can't run it), does it have the classic B&W version at least?

Cheers

Gryzor

Wow. I would think that Pong would be one of the first releases for the 2600 in its pure, unadulterated form...

You're looking at it through a lens of nostalgia...while Video Olympics was too good a concept not to release (and added many new variations), I'm thinking the people marketing the VCS in the early days would want to downplay the idea of it just being an expensive PONG machine.

You're looking at it through a lens of nostalgia...while Video Olympics was too good a concept not to release (and added many new variations), I'm thinking the people marketing the VCS in the early days would want to downplay the idea of it just being an expensive PONG machine.

Well, I agree, but it wouldn't be necessary to market it like that; "just another port of the game that started it all" would be appropriate... And even later, I'm really surprised nobody did it... What about the paddle controllers anyway?

Nope. Ironically, it doesn't even have it if you play the game in B&W mode...the background is grey instead of black.

Ain't this a bummer... I had this image of me playing against my daughter on my mint woody and teaching her the basics of computer gaming... *sigh*

Cheers

Gryzor[/code]

Oh for crying out loud, IT'S THE SAME GAME! So what if the background isn't black, or the numbers aren't as big?... the game still plays the same, and there's dozens of variations to keep you busy.

If that's not good enough for you, then go out and buy one of the dedicated Pong consoles. Seriously though, just play Video Olympics and be happy... it's much better than any of the dedicated Pong consoles anyways.

--Zero

/me hefts a flagon of ale and shouts a heart 'HEAR HEAR!' to zero. Really, people, come the frick on. If you want it in monchrome, just turn down the brightness and contract on your tv after flipping your vcs into black and white mode, there you go. But if you ask me, video olympics is the best home pong made and it doesn't really need to be gimped down to just a fugly b/w pong by a hack/surgery that removes most of the game, especially when u can accomplish it with the methods mentioned in this post.

If it still really bothers you that much and you are too lazy to adjust the brighness/contrast and turn your 2600 swith to the b/w position, just get a frikin old apple monochrome monitor and play it on that

Oh for crying out loud, IT'S THE SAME GAME! So what if the background isn't black, or the numbers aren't as big?... the game still plays the same, and there's dozens of variations to keep you busy.

If that's not good enough for you, then go out and buy one of the dedicated Pong consoles. Seriously though, just play Video Olympics and be happy... it's much better than any of the dedicated Pong consoles anyways.

--Zero

Yes and the same gose to Pac-Man right? :twisted:

Wasn't that still available in the shop the other day?

I dunno, but if you remember the id or which game was released about the same time, you can try if the page is still there.

It was removed when all the hacks and reproductions were taken down which is kind of silly considering Magnavox owned the rights to Pong, not Atari, the copyright for that one has probably expired since we're talking about 30+ years, and there are a million different Pong clones and hacks all over the web.

and yeah its pretty boreing :ponder: .

Pong is only boring as a one player game. IMHO, however, it remains one of the best, most satisfying two player competitive games ever written. :)

Well i dont know if the 2600 has a b&w pong game but i do knoe the genesis does. It was packed in to a cart with to other games missile command and centapide.

Pong is the ONLY reason to ever even plug that cart in. The ports of the other two games are absolutely horrible! Pong is decent enough but it does lose some of it's charm when played via joypad rather than paddle.