IGNORED

2600 Pong port?

Gryzor

It's seem that they wanted to make a what if Pong from the 30s or 40s and not the 70s by not using any computer chips but by Phone Relays and battery power magnets.

Agree, that's the best part of it. I think this actually demonstrates that - conceptually - the game could be conceived and built not even in the 30s, but at the end of the 19th century indeed, if Mr. Cahill was able to create this.

the copyright for that one has probably expired since we're talking about 30+ years

The bad news is, in America copyrights don't expire now till 75 years after the death of the author, or 95 years after publication if it's a "work for hire." :P

The good news is, Pong was never copyrighted since it was implemented in discrete circuits... no code to copyright :D

The trademark is a different story of course, and I assume that's why Mondo Pong ended up being disappeared.

The trademark is a different story of course, and I assume that's why Mondo Pong ended up being disappeared.

You think that's why? I thought it was more because it wasn't considered a complete work, though it's still very playable.

At any rate I haven't heard of any problems with "JoustPong"...of course "Joust" is the even more questionable parody/fair use thing... if need be it'd become "FLAP"...

It's a symptom of a lot of your crazy inventor types. They create something that's never been done before, adn before it's finished, they're off to invent the next thing - often using parts of the old thing! Another electronic music pioneer, Raymond Scott, did this. That's why there are so few remaining examples of his musical inventions.

and yeah its pretty boreing :ponder: .

Pong is only boring as a one player game. IMHO, however, it remains one of the best, most satisfying two player competitive games ever written. :)

Well i dont know if the 2600 has a b&w pong game but i do knoe the genesis does. It was packed in to a cart with to other games missile command and centapide.

Pong is the ONLY reason to ever even plug that cart in. The ports of the other two games are absolutely horrible! Pong is decent enough but it does lose some of it's charm when played via joypad rather than paddle.

Oh Sh*t, I better drop Quake III Deathmatch or Doom3 - I musta missed out on the Pong revolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:roll:

OT

Man, I'd love to hear what a Teleharmonium (sp?) sounds like! It's a real shame the original prototype ended up scrapped. I can't imagine what that would be worth now, to the right person (or museum.)

Seen the mechanics, probably it didn't sound much differently from the later Hammond organ, which is obviously inspired to it. But if you have ever played synthesizers, isn't the fact that the telharmonium's keyboard was "touch sensitive" almost unbelievable?

However, you got the message: it was all built with pure PASSIVE electromechanics: the vacuum tube and the first amplifier were WAY to be invented. No mixers, no oscillators, nothing. The technology is exactly the same used in that "pong" table, thus I think that a genius could have eventually conceived and built that game as early as in the XIX century.

It's a symptom of a lot of your crazy inventor types.  They create something that's never been done before, adn before it's finished, they're off to invent the next thing - often using parts of the old thing!  Another electronic music pioneer, Raymond Scott, did this.  That's why there are so few remaining examples of his musical inventions.

No no no, things went differently here!!! After the prototype, two complete massive and fully working telharmoniums were made thanks to huge private investments. They have been operated and they broadcasted music for years, though both never made good profits. The main problem was the crosstalk with normal telephonic conversations, which pissed off telephone users and refrained AT&T to give full support to the company. In the long run, both telharmonic companies had to declare bankruptcy, and as soon as the radio raised, the whole idea became obsolete.

In the fifties, Mr. Cahill's brother was still trying desperatedly to raise the attention of the museums towards the machineries of the Telharmonium. He still had the full working gear of the first prototype and many other things. Nobody ever showed any interest, so he finally had to sell iron and copper by the pound, before being overwhelmed by the cost of the storehouse.

Yeah, no kidding. I wanna keep checking with Al before I go into big details, as far as I can tell the only focus is on the store, and I haven't been exposed to any of it directly.

Ah well...there was that tiny little bug anyway (In a 10 point game, the winner gets a "W", but not in a 3 point game.) And I had that name as backup for a while...actually I thought of using "FLAP" back when I thought (for some odd reason) I'd only have like 2 player graphics to work with to draw the title. (Or maybe I wanted an animated title or something, I dunno...I was pretty clueless back then.)

So Al says it's fine to talk about. Not that there's that much to say...I guess the current incarnation of Atari has gotten all huffy about the store selling anything with the word "Pong" in the title. So, I guess the strategy is change the name and art to "Flap" (or "FLAP" or "FLAP!" or something...not sure if that's too gay or not) for the atari release, though at this point it doesn't look like I'll need to change my website or the downloadable ROMs.

So Al says it's fine to talk about.  Not that there's that much to say...I guess the current incarnation of Atari has gotten all huffy about the store selling anything with the word "Pong" in the title.  So, I guess the strategy is change the name and art to "Flap" (or "FLAP" or "FLAP!" or something...not sure if that's too gay or not) for the atari release, though at this point it doesn't look like I'll need to change my website or the downloadable ROMs.

Interesting. I didn't think Pong would be trademarkable in that sense. After all, it's just a shortened version of Ping Pong. If Williams hasn't gotten on your case about the Joust part, why not call it Joust Ping fron here on out? ;) It could even be a clever play on "Jousting."

Seriously, I understand wanting to placate the "real" Atari, but I don't think it would stand up in a lawsuit, fair use would win out. The Joust logo, on the other hand... you're at Williams' mercy on that one and quite frankly I'm amazed you've gotten away with it as long as you have, especially considering the mainstream coverage it got.

So Al says it's fine to talk about.  Not that there's that much to say...I guess the current incarnation of Atari has gotten all huffy about the store selling anything with the word "Pong" in the title.  So, I guess the strategy is change the name and art to "Flap" (or "FLAP" or "FLAP!" or something...not sure if that's too gay or not) for the atari release, though at this point it doesn't look like I'll need to change my website or the downloadable ROMs.

Interesting. I didn't think Pong would be trademarkable in that sense. After all, it's just a shortened version of Ping Pong. If Williams hasn't gotten on your case about the Joust part, why not call it Joust Ping fron here on out? ;) It could even be a clever play on "Jousting."

Seriously, I understand wanting to placate the "real" Atari, but I don't think it would stand up in a lawsuit, fair use would win out. The Joust logo, on the other hand... you're at Williams' mercy on that one and quite frankly I'm amazed you've gotten away with it as long as you have, especially considering the mainstream coverage it got.

Well, it's not like the "mainstream coverage" was extensive at all, maybe a reference like "and oddball hybrids like 'joustpong'" in EGM, that was it for the most part wasn't it?

Yeah, I thought "Joust" might be more problematic than "Pong". Though my game is a Parody of Joust and Pong. It's video satire! So it's all fair use, right?

Yeah, I thought "Joust" might be more problematic than "Pong".  Though my game is a Parody of Joust and Pong. It's video satire!  So it's all fair use, right?

Use of the names, IMO, yes. Legally... probably okay, but questionable. Use of the Joust LOGO, no freakin' way. :)

Yea, it's a real shame none of those museums took the offer. It's almost hard to believe a museum wouldn't want such a piece of history. That should be in the smithsonian for crissake!

As far as the pong thing, doesn't that come from the arcade division (kee games, or midway or whatever it's called now,) and yea, the name is just a frikin sound. thatd be like saying you cant use the word 'bleep' in your game or 'ping'

Yeah, I thought "Joust" might be more problematic than "Pong".  Though my game is a Parody of Joust and Pong. It's video satire!  So it's all fair use, right?

Use of the names, IMO, yes. Legally... probably okay, but questionable. Use of the Joust LOGO, no freakin' way. :)

It's not the full logo....it does't extend back in 3D! It's just the similarity in font for the word...