IGNORED

Weekend Trip Yields Excellent Results! :-D YAY

rockman_x_2002

Well it's official. I can retire my Atari 7800 as my temporary 2600. After a little weekend trip, I happened across a find that got me a VCS, 14 carts and a Atari Game Center to put it all in (unfortunately no CX40s were included in the deal, but as I already have a couple from the old one my brother owned, it's no biggie).

The VCS is a four-switch. After inspecting the bottom of this 2600 I got, I noticed the text, "NOT FOR RESALE. FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY." In addition, it has a white label under the bottom and has a hole for a channel select switch.

My questions about the find are two-fold. First, is this possibly just a refurbished system or did I really manage to get a promo console here? And secondly, how good a deal have I gotten here? :D

In all, for $22, I got:

1 VCS console (possible promo; all hookups but no joysticks)

1 Atari Game Center case.

14 carts, new condition but no boxes or manuals. All picture / standard labels:

Asteroids

Chopper Command

Combat

Dragonfire

Freeway

Frogger

Indy 500

Pac-Man

Pitfall

Space Invaders

Spider-man

Q*Bert

Vanguard

Warlords.

Not a bad deal. The console you got was a promotional console -- generally used as advance store displays and for review purposes. It's a little different, physically, in that the trim is yellow instead of orange, and it has the sticker you noticed.

The games are all pretty common, but for $22 you got a decent deal -- congrats!

Not a bad deal.  The console you got was a promotional console -- generally used as advance store displays and for review purposes.  It's a little different, physically, in that the trim is yellow instead of orange, and it has the sticker you noticed.

The games are all pretty common, but for $22 you got a decent deal -- congrats!

Thanks. Just tested the system and it all works perfectly. Switches are a bit iffy, but they are all functional with a little patience (being that I own one of the original NESes, patience I have loads of). I almost forgot to mention that also engraved into the console is the number 221. The number is engraved upside-down and is located above the white sticker. What does this number indicate? Number of the console or someone at Atari was bored that day? :D