IGNORED

New Atari Anthology?

sku_u

I heard on the news today that in addition to the jakks like plug and play thing, Infogrames/Atari is planning to release a VCS Anthology for the PS2 and Xbox. The collection is supposed to be a comprehensive first party compilation that has approximately 85 games including several unreleased ones.

This was mentioned on a local affiliate of NPR. From what I heard, it's supposed to retail for $19.99 and be released in time for Christmas.

*sigh* Another arcade collection comes and goes, and still no I, Robot...

At least there's some unusual ones like Liberator, Space Duel, Stellar Track, Quadrun, Submarine Commander, and Steeplechase. Despite having many of the 2600 games in the collection already, these will still make it worthwhile.

It's pretty clear what a Double Speed game is. Does anyone know what the Time Warp mode does?

*sigh*  Another arcade collection comes and goes, and still no I, Robot...

Agreed. I'd actually buy the damned thing if "I, Robot" were on it.

Ah, who am I kidding? If it hits the GameCube, I'll probably buy it anyway. :ponder:

What's keeping these 2600 titles off Atari Anthology?

The rest not included were either prototypes, or had licensing issues.

Atari Video Cube

Backgammon

Basic Math

Basketball

Brain Games

Crossbow

Dark Chambers

Gremlins

Hangman

Hunt & Score

Motorodeo

Pele's Soccer

RealSports Boxing

RealSports Soccer

Sentinel

Solaris

It would be cool if you could purchase a "spinner" controller.

For use in the paddle games...and of couse Tempest.

You can have a spot on perfect version of Tempest, but it still doesn't feel right without the spinner!!! I'd pay $20 for one.

Also Atariboy I'd imagine since Gremlins is based on the movie there might be some licencing issues.

• 3 weeks later...
What's keeping these 2600 titles off Atari Anthology?

The rest not included were either prototypes, or had licensing issues.

Atari Video Cube

Backgammon

Basic Math

Basketball

Brain Games

Crossbow

Dark Chambers

Gremlins

Hangman

Hunt & Score

Motorodeo

Pele's Soccer

RealSports Boxing

RealSports Soccer  

Sentinel

Solaris

Solaris and DC are gonna be on the Flashback, aren't they?

Crossbow and Gremlins have licensing issues . . . Pele's Soccer, too, I'm sure . . . But they could just call it simply "Soccer", since his name appears nowhere in the actual game code . . .

H&S = Concentration, which is on it already.

Sentinel should be on the console ports, because people have console guns. Sadly, they probably won't think of that.

As for the others . . . :?:

It would be cool if you could purchase a "spinner" controller.

For use in the paddle games...and of couse Tempest.

You can have a spot on perfect version of Tempest, but it still doesn't feel right without the spinner!!! I'd pay $20 for one.

True! It would be cool if you could choose to buy the disc alone for $20, or with a joystick/paddle that was compatable for $40 - $50.

I'd buy it.

I agree, although it's neat that Atari (infogrames) is releasing Atari Anthology for the Xbox and Ps2, I really think they are missing the boat by not offering a "super bundle." It would be great if the software were available alone for $20, but a version bundled with an arcade quality joystick/trakball/spinner combo on a large platform along the lines of Pelican's Real Arcade Stick. I think something in the $50 - $75 range would definitely be profitable for them.

How cool would it be to have an arcade quality control setup (with the Atari logo on it, of course) to play arcade perfect ports of Atari arcade games? It would be the next best thing to owning the actual arcade machines.

I think the success of the Jakks x-in-1 sticks are proof positive that something like this could work. The market is ripe for this type of offering. I know hardcore vintage gamers would jump all over something like this. I'd love to see "Atari" put their resources and marketing into a software/controller bundle for the xbox and ps2 (and Gamecube while they are at it) rather than the somewhat-jakks-copying Flashback unit.

Why not spend your $20 on an independent classic gaming product instead of French Atari's repackaging of games which they've already sold to most of us once?

So tell me kids, does Infogrames' actions against formerly available games such as Super Pac-Man and Haunted House 2 make you more likely to purchase their products or less?

You will end up with the hobby that you deserve.

I see no harm in supporting both Atari/Infogrames and the independently produced classic games. Frankly, as much as I hate to see the unreleased prototypes go, Atari does hold the copyrights to these games.

While I'm not happy with the actions that Atari has taken to rid the market of reproductions of games they hold the copyrights on, I can understand their reasoning. The market is somewhat hot right now for classic gaming. They have the right to protect titles that belong to them that may make money for Atari. In some ways, the old, beloved classic games are all that Atari has right now in terms of brand recognition. Of course, they are going to protect that in any way they can.

Yeah, that's bad for us who want copies of unreleased games for our classic systems. And it's definitely a bummer that games have disappeared from AA. However, I really don't know what someone would expect Atari's reaction to be once becoming aware of Atari copyrighted games being for sale. It's too bad AA can't license these games from Atari as it seems unlikely that Atari will ever release a stand-alone that plays 5200 Super Pacman, Jr. Pacman, etc. Who knows, though?

At any rate, I'm glad that someone is selling official versions of Atari's old classics for current game systems. If that means a French Atari, I support it. For history's sake, I'd rather see Atari as an American company. Nothing against the French, I'm just nostalgic for the Atari we know and love.

As far as our hobby goes...there's plenty of vintage systems and games to go around to keep everyone interested happy. The repros are a pretty small segment of what classic gaming is as a hobby. So, as far as getting the hobby we deserve goes...I think the potential for the "best of both worlds" is there...officially released classic games from Atari and homebrews and vintage carts for our classic systems from the hobby industry.

I wish there was a way for the unreleased games to still be on the market. However, this won't stop me from buying officially released games and products from Atari.

NovaXpress is right. It's time to boycott Infogrames. They are attacking homebrews too, like Castle Crisis and Adventure II, not just repros. Castle Crisis doesn't even use the Warlord name. Using the same logic they could demand Gunfight and Thrust out of AA store. The situation is really bad IMHO.

Eduardo

Mondo Pong and Joust Pong too. All the hacks. And I bet all the ROMs will be gone soon. Screw Infogrames. At least there are companies like Tulip (owner of Commodore properties) that seem to understand that it's best to keep retrogamers happy. Hopefully Infogrames will get the idea once they get some bad publicity.

-paul

So that's a good point: why is Infogrames attacking the homebrewers while the original ROMs are still online? It doesn't make any sense to me. I have this bad felling things will get worst...  :x  :x  :x

I keep having this urge to do me a heap o' downloading...

or maybe someone can do it once and make a master zip file to be passed around sub rosa?

What a crock. If there's a crack down on all titles, that's include titles that are small enough to never make it on a commercial release, and that's going to chip away at our post cultural heritage.

God DAMN the balance between Copyright and entering into the PD has been so screwed up.

Why not spend your $20 on an independent classic gaming product instead of French Atari's repackaging of games which they've already sold to most of us once?

So tell me kids, does Infogrames' actions against formerly available games such as Super Pac-Man and Haunted House 2 make you more likely to purchase their products or less?

You will end up with the hobby that you deserve.

Exactly!

Why fork over $20 for a sub-par compilation of ROMs when you can find a decent collection of common games and a system on EBay for cheap? Even better, the AtariAge Marketplace is a wonderful place to look for deals as well!

Uhh...I'm starting to get a better picture here. I thought Atari was putting the brakes on titles that were using licensed names or were programmed by Atari (Super Pacman, Millipede, etc.) only.

I had no idea that they were cracking down on completely original games that used concepts similar to licensed games (ie Castle Crisis, Combat II, Haunted House II and Adventure II).

That really is low-ball as it's really only diehards that are going to be searching these out. No soccer mom is going to be in the market to buy Castle Crisis for Junior. Nor is any casual "Hey, I used to have of those" buyers going to be looking for these games either.

Bad form, Infogrames.

:x