IGNORED

Another Game Room :)

bloatedmonkey

I finally finished up my game room and took some pictures, which I was about to post before seeing Rick's monster collection that he just put up. Well, here it is anyway. It's probably not the same magnitude, but it's a little different layout.

http://home.houston.rr.com/bm/atari/ataricab.html

One thing we have in common is our use of musicmate cubes. They're the best for easy access to your games. It took me 2 years to collect enough, but it sure beat trying to craft slots out of wood!

I finally finished up my game room and took some pictures, which I was about to post before seeing Rick's monster collection that he just put up.  Well, here it is anyway.   It's probably not the same magnitude, but it's a little different layout.  

http://home.houston.rr.com/bm/atari/ataricab.html

wow very very impressive. I was wondering, how long did it take you

to build your collection?

kevin

wow very very impressive.  I was wondering, how long did it take you to build  your collection?

I got back into Atari in '98 when I discovered Ebay. I'm only finding about 1 item a month these days that I feel like buying, so I'm starting to feel close to done. The cabinet took me a little over a year (on and off). It was my second woodworking project (after a toy box), so it turned our better than I expected.

How did you figure out how to build those cabinets--atari and mame?  Do you have any plans?

I was thinking the exact same thing. last night I was trying to plan out

how he made those cabinet and the mame arcade game. I guess I

have too much time on my hands!

They ain't Musicmate cubes, but if anyone needs/wants 18 Atari Modular Cartridge Libraries (a few of which are still in the box, no less) to try a similar thing, drop me a line. I collected all of them because I was going to attempt something similar to this awesome project until I remembered that I'm the most un-handy person on earth. They hold 14 games each (16 if you use the manual slots in the middle) so that's storage for 252 games (288 if you do the manual slot trick). For the record, I 'borrowed' the photo below from gamerzuniverse as an example of what I'm talking about (I'm at work so I can't just quick take a photo of them), but rest assured, I do have that many lying around here!

Clive

post-3788-1094747039.jpg

They ain't Musicmate cubes, but if anyone needs/wants 18 Atari Modular Cartridge Libraries (a few of which are still in the box, no less) to try a similar thing, drop me a line. I collected all of them because I was going to attempt something similar to this awesome project until I remembered that I'm the most un-handy person on earth. They hold 14 games each (16 if you use the manual slots in the middle) so that's storage for 252 games (288 if you do the manual slot trick). For the record, I 'borrowed' the photo below from gamerzuniverse as an example of what I'm talking about (I'm at work so I can't just quick take a photo of them), but rest assured, I do have that many lying around here!

Clive

I have two or three of those. I got them many years after they were originally sold. I always wanted to collect enough to hold a few hundred, but now my games are in a plastic container under my bed. I'd have to move to a bigger place before I could have a game room, or even a game area.

Thanks for all of the nice comments.

How did you figure out how to build those cabinets--atari and mame?  Do you have any plans?

It took maybe 6 months to finalize the concept for the atari cabinet. I made some drawings in powerpoint, then scribbled dimensions on them. I got a book on how to make cabinets and went from there. It's standard techniques - you just need to make the measurements to fit your space. So the answer is I don't really have plans that would make sense to anyone.

I bought the MAME cabinet on Ebay about 2 months ago. It cost me $1000, and it was hands down my best purchase ever (and I've bought alot). I could never build one for that price, plus it was high quality and arrived fully configured. It actually has 3 joysticks (2 8-way and the red 4-way) - 2 are black so you can't see them very well. It had a former life- I don't know which game, but it was red cabinet (I scratched it getting it up the stairs - that's a funny story - imagine dragging an odd-shaped 500lb object up the stairs and having it slip out of your hands....) I shopped for six months for a MAME and jumped on this one because it's the perfect shape, in my opinion.

The Cubicolor is from Ebay about 2 years ago. Not cheap.

I am very impressed. In my opinion, you have the nicest setup Ive ever seen. Not everyone has the money, time or space to do all that, but you do and I think its cool that you took the time to build such an impressive setup. Using a retro TV is a great idea, and you have it placed at just the right height. Good Job.

Enclosing the games in the cabinet is a great idea to keep dust and light off the games (as both will harm the carts over time)

You have your games neatly organized.