IGNORED

Refurbished Lynx units question.

Nubian

Hey All,

I have a question. I have noticed that available are 'Refurbished' units. There are 'refurbished' units for Lynx and Neo Geo Pocket just to name a few. What exactly is a 'refurbished' unit. Is it secondhand? And why isn't it just called a USED or SECONDHAND UNIT? What exactly do they do to it to make it 'refurbished'? I'm curious.

Regards,

Nubian.

There is a HUGE difference between USED and REFURBISHED. Refurbished is not just some nice way of saying used. That would be pre-owned and all that bs. There's a big difference between buying an old used car and a completely restored classic.

Trust me. I wrote the book on refurbishing. Want a good example of the difference between USED and REFURBISHED check out the guys at Quarter Arcade. They refurbish Coin-Op machines. Here's an example : http://www.quarterarcade.com/Content/Artic...estoration.aspx

Usually refurbishment becomes popular in a game system line once that system becomes nearly extinct on the retail market and only second hand units can be made available. Refurbishment is a good way to go if you want a new system even when new ones are not an option. If a used worn down dusty stank system isnt your thing, this is the way to go... but it generally comes with a price.

If you were to purchase a Refurbished Lynx, it would not be a new system. However it would not be your typical ebay unit either. If you purchase one from a reputable vendor with a serious refurbishing process they would have essentially restored the game system to a condition that would meet or even exceed original factory specifications and quality control standards...however this is not always the case, just the ideal.

First, the system would be completely disassembled and cleaned. Any unsatisfactory parts or components would be tossed aside and replaced with high quality parts or new old stock components. Then the hardware would be tested and quality assured. Modifications such as modernized audio/video outputs or onboard games could be added, etc. Maybe even the joysticks could be beefed up. In the end, the unit is cleaned to be cleaner than new and shirnkwraped or packaged in new packaging, even if its just a white box with foam peanuts inside. Generally a warranty is included.

Nice alternatiave to someone elses second hand crap.

Back when Atari 7800.com was selling refurbished units (2001ish) we had a page up about this. While its been years since Ive sold a unit, the page is still up and you can read about our old refurbishing process here :

http://www.atari7800.com/catalogue/pg10.htm

Justin