IGNORED

JOy to the worLD

atari70s

My quadrun was mailed today. :D :D :D im almost in tears with joy. ok id like to talk to you all about bags. what do you think about them? will like need those gel scilla packets ( that sometimes come in packages to reserve the baggies. also i know atariage sells bags . how good are the bags( in general)? please let me know . i got like 600 games to bag up. also if it is good are there bags for 5200 games and 8 bit carts?

I don't use bags myself. Although I'm a collector there is a certain point at which the steps one can go through for the sake of preservation can become aggravation. I like my games to be accessable with at least a moderate level of ease, so I'd rather not go to extreme lengths to package, store, and hermetically seal them just to keep them looking pretty. Generally speaking, simple considerations in storage are sufficient to satisfy my preservation instincts.

That said, I'm not particularly convinced that bags are really all that necessary, even for the freakish preservationist. At least, not for anything less than super-rare, rediculously valuable carts -- y'know, the Malagais, the Music Machines, the Video Lifes, etc. Even then I'd be more interested in a nice display case than what amount to small sandwich bags. Bags are ... well, kinda ugly when you get right down to it, and as much as preservation is key, part of the reason we're so protective of such carts is because we want to be able to show 'em off, too -- and bags aren't exactly showroom material.

Silica gel packets can be useful if you're worried about humidity getting to your carts -- but most carts have a glossy varnish coating (or in some cases, such as US Games, a thin, transparent plastic sheet) and aren't much affected by humidity. Labels prone to Actiplaque might not enjoy a humid environment, however -- but then neither will any metal bits prone to rust.

On the other hand, labels whose adhesive is prone to drying out (Parker Bros. for example) may not take kindly to being overly dry, either.

Obviously this isn't an immediate concern -- but years of storage in a specific type of environment can do different things to different carts. Personally, unless you live in a climate that is consistently dry or humid, I don't really see much need to concern yourself too much with trying to manage that climate for your carts, and once again, simpler storage solutions will probably suffice for years to come.

well on the very rare games i do taht with. namely just quadrun and my mogul maniac 8 bit cart ( in a baseball cube in the box). but other than that they are just rubbermaid long plastic tubs. 132 or so carts to a tub. maybe 198 i forget. but storage i know they talked abotu here before. but i think for rare games something extra should be done for it

I use cardboard boxes, myself. Specifically, the sort you get at the supermarket that are used to transport pint or quart containers of fruit. I've so far found that the ones that carried berries work best. I get precisely 6 rows of 21 carts for 126 carts per box, and they fit perfectly both horizontally and vertically; the lip is just about exactly as tall as a cart, so they're perfect for stacking.. I've filled about 3-1/2 boxes so far. They don't have lids, unfortunately, so they're not much use for protection, but without spending $20+ for just one large storage container, it's a great, cheap solution.