IGNORED

Actiplaque?

Blackjack

That label is mild compared to some I have in my possession. Not only Activision has this problem. I've come across several Atari games that also have this problem.

Though I can think of a few examples, it seems to happen to a specific label variation. Defender and Warlords come to mind. One version of Defender, the more common one (see my label variation list), is normal, the other gets actiplaque. I'm thinking maybe they were labeled in a different plant and either they used a different type of glue or inferior paper, or possibly didn't put enough of a coating to protect the label from having the glue come through.

I may consider adding this footnote for these specific label variations, saying they are prone to acti-plaque.

Phil

My favorite is the "Seaquest Scrape". On way too many Seaquest carts, and generally not any other cart, the end label at the bend is often badly worn.

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...wareLabelID=424

That looks pretty good for a Seaquest cart. The above link to the Frostbite cart shows some problems at the bend, but the "typical" Seaquest cart looks much worse.

I've come across several Atari games that also have this problem.  

Though I can think of a few examples, it seems to happen to a specific label variation.

The Atari/CCW kid's games seem to be particularly susceptible to actiplaqueing.

c_OscarsTrashRace_Childrens_front.jpg

I don't think oxygen has anything to do with Actiplaque -- or at least, it's not the primary cause of it, though I'm sure it probably exacerbates the effect over time. The adhesive is an emulsified combination of polymers and oils. The problem with emulsification is that when used in adhesives or other substances that are not intended to dry out is the mixture can break down, causing the oils to separate and soak into the paper it's applied to. Not all adhesives do this, it just depends on what's used and in what proportions.