IGNORED

Joust P?

Flack

I picked up a pile of commons the other day (25 games for a buck each at the local thrift). 90% of them ended being up dupes (and hey -- they could be YOUR dupes at OKGE!), but one caught my eye.

As I was looking at each one to determine whether they were dupes or not, I noticed the end Joust label read "Joust P". The P is smaller and to the right a bit of the word Joust, but it's printed on the label and in the same color and font (but slightly smaller) than the word JOUST.

I'm not a huge Atari collector, I've only got about a hundred or so loose carts, but just scanning my shelves I didn't see any other game in my collection with a letter out to the side. And as we all know, P stands for "P"rototype which got me excited. It also stands for "P"robably not which I'm assuming is the case, but I'm still wondering what on earth that P means!

what about 'P' for PAL? instead of being for Prototype

Thats exactly what it means ive had at least 5 carts in the past with that on it

only mine was a small black sticker with a white P on the back. ;)

Usually protos will have no lables, homemade looking or lab loaner lables

and in some cicumstances, NO cart at all! :o

Sorry to give you the bad news that this isnt a proto, but keep looking because

its small things like that, that may net you a proto in the future. :)

5 ways of telling (from memory) if it's a PAL Atari-manufactured cart:

1) It has PAL stamped in big letters on the front. I think I've only seen Combat like this.

2) It has a P in the model number, i.e. CX-2622-P (text label) or CX26120 (red label). Note that the rare-in-NTSC carts like Motorodeo, Ikari Warriors and BMX Airmaster (I think all 3 of them) tend not to bother with the P which to me implies they were never really meant for the US market.

3) It has a small P on the end label. This is only the silver label variations I think.

4) A sticker on the back of the cart has a white P on a black square. This occurs on silver labels and picture labels mostly IIRC, but sometimes on others too I think.

5) The colours are wrong. :) There's no way of telling with some carts - though of course many of them may be where the sticker's fallen off. :)

I've got the following games with the Pal marker on the endlabel:

Missile Command (picture label)

Pac-man (picture label)

Ms. Pac-man (silver label)

E.T. (silver label)

Space invaders (picture label)

Most others just have a Pal marker on the back of the cart, and some even haven't a Pal marker on them (but then again they might have come lose)

Ok, it pal or a printing error. I have many as im from a pal country, but a few are ntsc believe it or not. Many carts have printing errors like Ataai and aatari, the list go's on. Either its a pal cart or label. If someone finds it a proto then ive got alot of protos :D

Argh link didnt work stupid disabled edit button!!!! :x  

here it is

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=922

I believe that page is in err The P on end label is give away to PAL status. Maybe on rare printing errors a NTSC cart ends up with the P but not very common at all. I've only ever seen them on PAL carts, I have one here now with P on end label it too is PAL.

• 3 months later...