IGNORED

Personal high on Kaboom!

Cassidy Nolen

Ok,

To some of you really good players this will seem stupid, but I am very proud of it :)

As a kid, I played Kaboom! at my neighbors house, and always loved it. Not very good at it mind you, but enjoyed. As an adult when I got back into Atari, it was a game I bought and really loved. Ended up paying more for it than any other boxed game in my Acti collection (something like 45 in a bidding war on ebay, and the label was awful!), but I had it.

After some time, I could get over 1000 most games. Then 2000. Then 4000. My goal of course, was to see the face of the bomber when it changed. I had heard rumors, but had never seen it.

This past year, I had been getting closer, like in the 6500-7000 range each game. Finally, this spring I hit 9900, and I knew it was coming!

This summer, Nicole and I had the pleasure of staying with Osmeroid in England for a few days of vacation, and while there, we played Kaboom! on his PAL tv. I did it! 10,050! Woo Hoo. No proof other than the witness of Oz and Nic. Alas, I knew it was on PAL, and I also knew that meant it was easier to do than on NTSC. At least I got to see his face.

This past game night (Friday night), I had a basement full of friends. We had the arcades on, people having fun, and my dog running around. Not ideal conditions for a good game. Somebody said "Do you have the game with the bombs that drop?". I of course said "I think I do" and popped it into the 4 switch on the coffee table. Everybody had a go, then it was my turn. I was tired, had a few black and tans, and did not expect anything worth mentioning. Next thing I knew, the room was silent. I had 6000 points. I quit talking and started trying. Then 8, then 9, then 10,000. I did it, but was still going strong. All three buckets. Then 11,12, 13, finally 14,000 and I dropped one just after the thousand mark. Then I dropped another. Final score was 14,510. I needless to say took pics. The little O face. Oh, o, o.

I know its not the highest. I know its not the greatest story, but it was my original paddles I have had since 83, and it was really me playing (not watching a real player in the zone). I am first and foremost a collector, not a player, so this was something for me.

Just wanted to share a 20 year journey with one of my all time favs.

Now that I have bored you, back to your normally scheduled lives :)

Cassidy

• 6 months later...