IGNORED

Which space shooter gae on the 2600 was the most...

salstadt

Which space shooter gae on the 2600 was the most complex in terms of movement, etc. I'm looking for a model for an idea I have, but nothing with duplicated, spaced ships like Space Invaders, something more along the lines of Asteroids but more of a scrolling shooter if possible. To give me an idea of how far the platform can be pushed in sprite regard. Anyone have a game they can reccomend I check out?

- Adam

Which space shooter gae on the 2600 was the most complex in terms of movement, etc. I'm looking for a model for an idea I have, but nothing with duplicated, spaced ships like Space Invaders, something more along the lines of Asteroids but more of a scrolling shooter if possible. To give me an idea of how far the platform can be pushed in sprite regard. Anyone have a game they can reccomend I check out?

River Raid almost seems like a candidate, though it's not really that complex sprite-wise...Megamania? Spider Fighter? Chopper Command? (Huh my brain seems stuck on Activision)

Vanguard maybe?  Lots of stuff onscreen, constant scroll.

Oh, yeah, Vanguard is an excellent call. (and a darn decent game)

Especially the horizontal scrolling section...playfield-wise, horizontal scrolling is infamously tougher on the atari than vertical, but it can be done, and then it's easier to "cluster" enemies in interesting ways, unlike River Raid which really only shoves one thing at a time at the player, despite its brilliance with the terrain.

Paul, I don't remember seeing that one. I love the parallax effect. Was it you who also posted this other demo with a lot of enemies and an idea for some almost-Raiden like powered-up weapon FX?

I don't know what salstadt's idea will end up being, but it's been a nice conversation starter...

Paul, I don't remember seeing that one. I love the parallax effect. Was it you who also posted this other demo with a lot of enemies and an idea for some almost-Raiden like powered-up weapon FX?

I'm thinking of Eric Mooney's River Rampage demo:

bin available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archiv...4/msg00219.html

Here's a ROM of something I started working on a while back...

could be a very cool game like Uridium, Xenon, Goldrunner, Xevious, Alley Cat, Alpha Mission, Twin Cobra or Terra Cresta (arcade, ST, C64). First seen parallax scrolling shooter on 2600.

Please continue the development !!!!