IGNORED

Game Idea: Boulder Dash 2600

Lord-Chaos

I wonder if it's possible to write a "Boulder Dash" clone for the ATARI 2600, because somewhat similar games do exist (Mr.Do or Dig Dug for example).

The main problem would be lack of RAM.Original Boulder Dash levels are 40*22 AFAIK or 20*11 (intermissions) and would take to much RAM, at least the 4-screen-sized levels.Every change must be stored in RAM, because every rock or diamond can fall, enemies can move etc.

But a simple Boulder Dash clone using only 1 screen should be doable, if you use only 2 bits for spaces,rubble,rocks and walls and save the positions of diamonds,in and out and the baddies in 1 byte each.

My 1K minigame Microdash for the ATARI 800 needs 54 bytes per level this way + 2 bytes for entrance and exit and n+1 bytes for diamonds , but there was no room for baddies in 1K left.

I wonder if 70-max. 80 bytes usage for levels would be doable on the 2600 without extra-ram.

And I wonder if a graphics similar to the A800's ANTIC 7 (Graphics 2) would be doable without too much flicker.

If yes, it would be possible to have a Boulder Dash clone for the VCS in 4 or 8K with dozens of levels, small levels, but doable without extra RAM.

Large levels with 40*22 objects would take at least 800 bytes (the outer walls are always there, so the levels are 40*20) , even if only 2 bits/object are used that would mean 200 bytes, too much for the VCS.

It would only be doable with extra RAM (at least 256 bytes) or on a Supercharger.

Thimo

A picture of Microdash on the ATARI 800.

post-2034-1096399795_thumb.jpg

Why not consider doing it with a RAM+ setup. If you could get by with 128 bytes of extra RAM then a SuperChip. You can test in Z26 for instance. Currently a board supplier like Pixels Past doesn't make RAM+ or SuperChip cartridges but it is supported by Cuttle Cart and should be on the Krokodile cartridge (although I don't know the details of this product). If enough homebrew games start using RAM+ or SuperChip perhaps Pixels Past will offer boards. In any case, it's still authentic, because many original 2600 games were augmented with extra RAM.

- David

Why not consider doing it with a RAM+ setup. If you could get by with 128 bytes of extra RAM then a SuperChip. You can test in Z26 for instance. Currently a board supplier like Pixels Past doesn't make RAM+ or SuperChip cartridges but it is supported by Cuttle Cart and should be on the Krokodile cartridge (although I don't know the details of this product). If enough homebrew games start using RAM+ or SuperChip perhaps Pixels Past will offer boards. In any case, it's still authentic, because many original 2600 games were augmented with extra RAM.

That is (was) the plan, but Boulder Dash is still (very) actively copyrighted. :(

You already identified some of the major problems correctly yourself.  

Now add the very restricted 2600 hardware and last not least potential major copyright problems. What do you get?

A challenge! :D

I better won't waste my time with it because of the copyright problems they would ban it anyway.

I don't think they have problems with the 1K Minigame, but I really won't spend several weeks for a game for the 2600 which cannot be published because of copyright problems.

I will think about a unique project without any copyright problems.

Thimo

iirc adavie posted a pic using his gfx engine for the 2600 regarding boulder dash a while ago, try searching. it looked pretty impressive.

I posted a binary of a single screen, demonstrating how a BoulderDash *could* look on the '2600. Thomas has also posted a binary with another variant of display.

Cheers

A

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem seems to be the copyright held by First Star.

But I think if I write a clone which is SIMILAR to Boulder Dash but is NOT Boulder Dash, there won't be problems.

I mean there are literally thousands of clones not only for 8 Bit systems (the ATARI 800 has several Public Domain clones plus the arcade "Rockford", the ATARI ST has dozens of clones plus the original Boulder Dash Construction Kit and the AMIGA has HUNDREDS of clones, including zillions of "Emerald Mine" versions).

First Star never complained and many of the clones were commercial games - like Emerald Mine.

That means, my game (which can be found on the 1K Minigame site) is

only a very basic Boulder Dash game with less features and that shouldn't be copyrighted - because Boulder Dash itself "borrowed" features from older games like Mr. Do or Dig Dug.

Combined with the limitations of the 2600; without memory expansion the big levels are not possible; the resulting game should be not too similar to Boulder Dash.

That means a clone is possible.A simpler game using standard PCBs and no extra RAM or a more advanced games with additional features like keys, dynamite etc. using extra RAM.

As long as it is no 1:1 port, First Star should not complain, since they never did it with all the thousands of clones.

And my ATARI 800 minigame where my 2600 game would be based on is too simple to be called Boulder Dash.It can never have all the features and must use entirely different graphics, making it a different game.

Thimo