IGNORED

Krokodile Cartridge

Kroko

Are you making just enough to fill the existing backorders, or do I have time to get on the list? Should we order it from the AtariAge store and pay now so we'll be sent one once they're ready, or how does that work?

I will start to make devices and send them to Albert. He will offer these devices to the people on the waiting list - first come first serve. I am planning to make enough devices that we can offer them in the store this time. But that depends on how many people want to buy it. The device will not be in the store as long as people on the list don't have their devices. After that, it will be in the store, but I can't tell you when this will be. There will not be any pre-ordering this time.

Wow. This is great news! I've been on the list for about 9 months now!

For all of you who are posting messages saying that you want to be added to the list, you should send a PM to Albert as he is the keeper of the cheese, keymaster, etc.

-b

Edited by efdious

PLEASE!! Add me.. I'd definately like to buy this. Looks like a dream come true.

992638[/snapback]

I have ordered new PCBs and I think that I can start building new devices mid of January :D

992689[/snapback]

Where is the waiting list? Is it simply by typing previously in this thread?? Or do we have to write Albert. I dont know where to find him lol.. I definatley hope I am on the waiting list, and would like to be if not. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
How's this project going?

1007170[/snapback]

I am working on it. I almost received all parts. Except for the power connector. I hope to get it soon, but I am only a small customer for the producer of this part, and it seems as if I could have to wait a little before they ship the parts ... well, I have enough work with the rest of the parts :)

I haven't used it for programming yet(the new debugger in Stella is da bomb), but I've found mine to be very useful for the High Score Club

Are you using the Kroko Cart with OS X? I didn't think there was a Mac version of the software. (Seems to me a java version was underway, then abandoned.)

krokcom - you were even going to make an icon for it :ponder:

Make sure you download the most current version - 0.2 which supports multicarts. You have to create a text file for the multicart, but it's very easy to do by dragging files to TextEdit(provided you're running Tiger - on prior OS X versions it would drop just the filename to TextEdit and not include the path)

Any chance of adding support in the new batch for games it won't currently play?

AA forum link for list of these games

Also, would it be possible to add support for a bankswitching scheme that I don't think has been used elsewhere? We're adding a new one for a game Robert announced on this thread. If it is, please contact him, and he can give you the full details on what would be needed. I've been on Albert's list since April 1st, so I'm hoping to be high enough on the list to get one this time around.

-JD

Any chance of adding support in the new batch for games it won't currently play?

I have not decided yet, if I will change the firmware at all. There have not been any problems with the current version and a change always has some risks. On the other hand, I found a way to include E7 bankswitching in the new revision. I am not sure what to do right now...Something tells me i should let it as it is and something tells me I should support E7 if possible ...

Almost all E0 games have been converted to schemes the Krokodile already supports and also the two FE games are converted. So the big holes are still E7, which I could probably close in the next revision, AR and F0. F0 is not worth the effort, because there is just one Rom (which sucks). Supercharger and E0 currently simply don't fit into the logic chip.

Also, would it be possible to add support for a bankswitching scheme that I don't think has been used elsewhere?  We're adding a new one for a game Robert announced ...

That is not very likely. Not because I don't want to, but because the space on the logic chip is very limited. If you just need 64K, then you can use EF bankswitching which was already planned for a RPG and the Krokodile supports EF already. If you need Rom together with Ram, you could use the Superchip modes, or if you need lots of RAM, you could still use 3E. Well, it has some limitations, but look at Andrew Davies not Boulder Dash. There you can see what a smart programmer can make out of this scheme.

I've been on Albert's list since April 1st, so I'm hoping to be high enough on the list to get one this time around.

This time I have ordered enough PCBs. Its just a question of time. I have started to build them, but I need a lot a time for each single device, because its all hand work ;)

I am always interested in new bankswitching ideas. Please PM me with the details :D

Just wondering, have you figured out what the problem is with useing the Krok cart on 7800s?

1008585[/snapback]

Yes, or at least I think so. The 7800 startup BIOS triggers the multicart game selection hotspot. There is no easy way to fix this. There is a great device available for the 7800 as you know :) Buy it and support Chad so he can continue to make great stuff in the future. The Krokodile is 2600 only, though it works fine on the 7800 if you use it as standalone cart.

Edited by Kroko

I am still working on the Krokodile Cartridge, and I think it is time for a little update now.

Krokocart_pt2_b.jpg

I have changed a few things compared to the first design. One difference is, that it doesn't need an external power supply, when it is plugged into the 2600. In addition, it can now also be used as a Multicart. There are 4 different Multicart modes:

Mode 1: 1K 2K or 4K        (up to 127 Games)

Mode 2: F8 Bankswitched (up to 63 Games)

Mode 3: F6 Bankswitched (up to 31 Games)

Mode 4: F4 Bankswitched (up to 15 games)

It is possible to create custom MultiCart ROM-Images and download them to the device. The games can be selected with a menusystem that is part of the MultiCart image.

And of course it supports standalone games. The downloading is done with a serial cable. Here is a summary of the current features:

* 1K / 2K / 4K / Non Bankswitched Multicart (127 Games)

* F8 / F8SC / F8 Multicart (63 Games)

* F6 / F6SC / F6 Multicart (31 Games)

* F4 / F4SC / F4 Multicart (15 Games)

* 3F (up to 512K Rom)

* 3E (up to 512K Rom and 32K Ram)

* EF (Homestar)

* FA

* CV

If we don't find lots of bugs during testing, I hope I can release it soon  :D

712523[/snapback]

The 512K F3 bank its something that i imagine?....enough space to big games?...

post-8491-1138488341_thumb.jpg

(MayDay @ Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:28 PM)

Also, would it be possible to add support for a bankswitching scheme that I don't think has been used elsewhere?  We're adding a new one for a game Robert announced ...

That is not very likely. Not because I don't want to, but because the space on the logic chip is very limited. If you just need 64K, then you can use EF bankswitching which was already planned for a RPG and the Krokodile supports EF already. If you need Rom together with Ram, you could use the Superchip modes, or if you need lots of RAM, you could still use 3E. Well, it has some limitations, but look at Andrew Davies not Boulder Dash. There you can see what a smart programmer can make out of this scheme...

I am always interested in new bankswitching ideas. Please PM me with the details

I'm not sure... since there was no completed 64K game, I didn't realize the bankswitching technique used would already exist. So it's quite possible it would already support it. Sorry about the confusion.

-JD

That is not very likely. Not because I don't want to, but because the space on the logic chip is very limited.

1008583[/snapback]

Forgive me if I've asked this, but do you connect the Xilinx JTAG pins to anything useful (like the microcontroller)? If so, would it be possible to reprogram it from the PC? I know it would be a fair bit slower than just loading a game into flash, but it would both mitigate the hazards of including newer software in the new units (since field bug fixes would be possible) and would also make it possible to support schemes which you presently cannot (since it would not be necessary to simultaneously support all the other schemes).