IGNORED

Krokodile Cartridge

Kroko

is there a battery in this that needs to be ever charged?

There is no battery. It is using flash memory. It does not need to be charged.

You only need to connect the power supply when you are programming it.

It then keeps its content until you reprogram it.

A multicart rom is just like any other rom. The difference is only that it

contains a menu system to choose from the different games. You could

say its one big rom with built in menu system :)

You can put any rom file on the quick pick buttons by right clicking the

button. It does not matter if you put a standalone ROM or a multicart

ROM on the quickpick button. You download the rom by left-clicking the

button.

The software does not support cartridge erasing as a standalone operation.

You simply replace the content when you write to it the next time. If you

really want to erase it for some reason, make a file which contains 512K

of rubbish and download it.

Hi, I received my Krokodile cart yesterday. It totally rocks! :D

A while back I thought I had found a web site with the Krokodile Commander source code available. I wanted to compile the source to run on linux. Is there a command line version of the source available?

Thanks!

Jim

is there a battery in this that needs to be ever charged?

There is no battery. It is using flash memory. It does not need to be charged.

You only need to connect the power supply when you are programming it.

It then keeps its content until you reprogram it.

A multicart rom is just like any other rom. The difference is only that it

contains a menu system to choose from the different games. You could

say its one big rom with built in menu system :)

You can put any rom file on the quick pick buttons by right clicking the

button. It does not matter if you put a standalone ROM or a multicart

ROM on the quickpick button. You download the rom by left-clicking the

button.

The software does not support cartridge erasing as a standalone operation.

You simply replace the content when you write to it the next time. If you

really want to erase it for some reason, make a file which contains 512K

of rubbish and download it.

Thanks Kroko! Its one great product , and very professional!

Glad to hear that people are receiving and enjoying their Krokodile Carts. I still have several more that I will be making available to people further down the list--I've been giving people a week or more to respond before I make them available to someone else on the list.

..Al

Hi!

I´m interested in get one, but I need more info (documentation, prices, etc.)

and how to get it? (the list, or if will be available in atariage in the future etc.)

Hi !

these two pages should answer most of your questions:

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...areLabelID=2716

http://www.arminvogl.de/KrokodileCartridge/

Hi!

and how to get it? (the list, or if will be available in atariage in the future etc.)

Hi !

these two pages should answer most of your questions:

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...areLabelID=2716

http://www.arminvogl.de/KrokodileCartridge/

In particular, the link to the online manual (in PDF format) should answer any questions you have:

http://www.atariage.com/store/misc/online_krok.pdf

If you send me your name and email address in a private message, I will add you to the waiting list and then email you once more are available.

Thanks!

..Al

Hi!

If you send me your name and email address in a private message, I will add you to the waiting list and then email you once more are available.

Thanks!

..Al

And I'd like to add, being put on the list doesn't lock you into buying one. Once a cart is available for you to buy, if you've decided by then that you don't want or can't afford one after all, there are other people who'll gladly scarf up the cart that "had your name on it." So if you're even slightly interested in buying one, it's far, far better to get onto the waiting list than not.

Michael Rideout

Hi!

Thanks!

..Al

And I'd like to add, being put on the list doesn't lock you into buying one. Once a cart is available for you to buy, if you've decided by then that you don't want or can't afford one after all, there are other people who'll gladly scarf up the cart that "had your name on it." So if you're even slightly interested in buying one, it's far, far better to get onto the waiting list than not.

Michael Rideout

Very true and good point. :)

..Al

One quick question before I order mine... (I searched the forums and could not find an answer, I apologize if I missed it.) I acutally found a couple of unanswered threads asking the same question.

Does the Krokodile Cart work with a modded flashback 2 console? (Assuming that the rom in question is one of the supported ones?)

That's a good question, hopefully someone with a modified Flashback 2 and a Krokodile Cart can answer it. Unfortunately I do not have a modified Flashback 2 so I cannot provide an answer for you.

..Al

I hope one of the new (or old) KC owners is able to answer this.

One quick question before I order mine... (I searched the forums and could not find an answer, I apologize if I missed it.) I acutally found a couple of unanswered threads asking the same question.

Does the Krokodile Cart work with a modded flashback 2 console? (Assuming that the rom in question is one of the supported ones?)

That's a good question, hopefully someone with a modified Flashback 2 and a Krokodile Cart can answer it. Unfortunately I do not have a modified Flashback 2 so I cannot provide an answer for you.

..Al

Good point, there soon be nearly 50 new Krokodile Cart owners, and perhaps one of them does have a modified Flashback 2 console to test this on. :)

..Al

..Al

Good point, there soon be nearly 50 new Krokodile Cart owners, and perhaps one of them does have a modified Flashback 2 console to test this on. :)

..Al

As long as you play the games that are supported by the FB board, I would think it would work. I don't believe the flashback can play some/most of the games that are bankswitched.

Edited by kmarker

..Al

..Al

I have a modded FB2, but I'm still on the waiting list :( If nobody else tries it first, I'll try it as soon as I get my KC.

I just received my own KC today and I have two small questions before I try it out:

1. There seems to be a bit of ambiguity as to wether it is OK to program the KC while it is plugged into the 2600. The manual says that it shouldn't be done, but this forum seems to say that the cart can be powered directly from the 2600?
  2. Is there a Linux utility that can be used to program the cart?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by cd-w

There seems to be a bit of ambiguity as to wether it is OK to program the KC while it is plugged into the 2600. The manual says that it shouldn't be done, but this forum seems to say that the cart can be powered directly from the 2600?

I don't see any ambiguity. The power source should only be plugged in when you're programming the cart. The power source should NEVER be plugged in while the cart is inserted into the 2600. Instead, the cart will run off of the power provided by the 2600. The cart should NEVER be programmed while it's inserted into the 2600 for the same reason it shouldn't be plugged in.

There seems to be a bit of ambiguity as to wether it is OK to program the KC while it is plugged into the 2600. The manual says that it shouldn't be done, but this forum seems to say that the cart can be powered directly from the 2600?

I don't see any ambiguity. The power source should only be plugged in when you're programming the cart. The power source should NEVER be plugged in while the cart is inserted into the 2600. Instead, the cart will run off of the power provided by the 2600. The cart should NEVER be programmed while it's inserted into the 2600 for the same reason it shouldn't be plugged in.

jbanes is absolutely right :) You should only use the cart in two modes:

1. Prog-Mode: Cart is NOT plugged into your Atari and is connected to the serial cable and its power supply

2. Play-Mode: The Cart is not connected to its external power supply. You may connect it to the serial cable, but picture quality may be degraded

What you should NEVER do (if you love your console) is to reprogramm the cart while it is plugged into the 2600 with VCS power OFF, but external power supply connected.

I always program the cart when it's plugged into the console and without using extra power. Theoretically there is a chance this might harm the console (not the cart!), but AFAIK (I talked about this to Kroko) it is very minimal.

OK, I thought this might be the case. I vaguely remember reading a thread where Andrew Davie described his neat development setup, which automatically downloaded to the KC after compilation. I can't find the thread now, but I don't remember him having to unplug the cart every time.

Chris

I always program the cart when it's plugged into the console and without using extra power. Theoretically there is a chance this might harm the console (not the cart!), but AFAIK (I talked about this to Kroko) it is very minimal.

Yes, true. Andrew did it more than 1000 times without problems. In my opinion, the only setup that does cause trouble is, if vcs power is off and extra power connected ...

Yes, true. Andrew did it more than 1000 times without problems. In my opinion, the only setup that does cause trouble is, if vcs power is off and extra power connected ...

Thanks for clearing this up (and thanks for producing such a great bit of kit). I don't think I will risk programming directly on the 2600 for now...

Chris

Thanks for clearing this up (and thanks for producing such a great bit of kit). I don't think I will risk programming directly on the 2600 for now...

Chris

Maybe you have a cheap junior where you may want to take the risk ;)

I just received my own KC today and I have two small questions before I try it out:
  1. There seems to be a bit of ambiguity as to wether it is OK to program the KC while it is plugged into the 2600. The manual says that it shouldn't be done, but this forum seems to say that the cart can be powered directly from the 2600?
  2. Is there a Linux utility that can be used to program the cart?

Thanks,

Chris

Are you familiar with Linux programming? The current version of KrokCom for OS X is a command line program. It shouldn't take much to make it work under Linux - basically replace the comm port routines with the Linux equivalent.

Are you familiar with Linux programming? The current version of KrokCom for OS X is a command line program. It shouldn't take much to make it work under Linux - basically replace the comm port routines with the Linux equivalent.

I was going to have a go at porting this... but I don't see the source anywhere on your site. Is it available anywhere?