IGNORED

Krokodile Cartridge

Kroko

1) have you sent those emails?

2) anyone that was on the list that was not contacted will they be at the beginning of the next list?

I am asking because I PMed you may 6 to get added to the list but did not receive any kind of email.

I did send out the emails, but looks like I neglected to add you to the list. There are still plenty of Krokodile Carts available, and I need to spam the store customer database to sell the remaining copies that people who were emailed did not purchase. I will send you a PM privately with the details so you may buy one.

..Al

Looking forward to it and <crosses fingers>

:)

Anyone know for sure if this works in a 5200 adapter?

thats where I want mine to stay so i may switch up easily if I want to. My CC2 stays with my 7800 as well. Glad i got in on this before it was gone if for the last time as well.

Andit's a keeper. You'll have to pry my Krok from my cold dead joystick arthitic hands. :D

Oh yea someone whos tried it, please let me know about the adapter. Thanks :)

AFAIK the only thing it doesn't work on is the Flashback 2.

*jumps up and down* Sooo close... I can just taste the plastic!

P.S. I don't recommend eating plastic.

TY, I cant wait!

BTW, I fixed the color on my 5200 adapter, i think someone else here had the same problem. There is a wheel inside that adjusts the color just like on any 2600 unit. I found that by accident years ago because I can barely fix anything but its fixed and now I have color instead of just grays and greens!!! Yay for me as i dont have to toss it and buy another and I actually fixed something!

Edited by Phantom

Anyone know for sure if this works in a 5200 adapter?

thats where I want mine to stay so i may switch up easily if I want to. My CC2 stays with my 7800 as well. Glad i got in on this before it was gone if for the last time as well.

Andit's a keeper. You'll have to pry my Krok from my cold dead joystick arthitic hands. :D

Oh yea someone whos tried it, please let me know about the adapter. Thanks :)

AFAIK the only thing it doesn't work on is the Flashback 2.

*jumps up and down* Sooo close... I can just taste the plastic!

P.S. I don't recommend eating plastic.

TY, I cant wait!

BTW, I fixed the color on my 5200 adapter, i think someone else here had the same problem. There is a wheel inside that adjusts the color just like on any 2600 unit. I found that by accident years ago because I can barely fix anything but its fixed and now I have color instead of just grays and greens!!! Yay for me as i dont have to toss it and buy another and I actually fixed something!

Yep, that would do it. The atari 5200 adapter is basically an 2600 using the rf and power from the 5200's pins.

• 2 weeks later...
So if you're on the waiting list, please keep your eyes peeled or your Krokodile Cart may go to someone else!

There will be no next list. It is very likely that this is the last batch of Krokodiles. At some point we will put the rest of the carts to the store until they are sold out.

I am very disappointed to have been on the list and missed out on what may have been the last batch just because I didn't check my e-mail frequently enough. I think I'm going to go and cry now. Someone else has my Krokodile cart! :(

Well I cant figure this thing out and Im not too shaby on the PC. I'll try again tomorrow but the thing is pissin me off. Granted I dont know much about bankswitching but I kinda understood it for this and it says it will automatically figure out the bankswitching if done in bulk? Atleast thats what I read but I cant get it to write and I still get messages saying A: to manually switch the bankswitching and when I attempt it, I lose the last hour of setting up the ROMS I wanted on it :ponder: and B: That it Cant write, it is in READ mode only. :ponder: :ponder: Now way of switching that to write from the menus so i must be doing something wrong......so 8 hours on and off down the tubes and Im sure I'll love it when I figure it out but I want to hit my head against a wall currently. :x

PS: I also read about an hour on bankswicthing and I understand it better. I would probbaly be better off using that old list and just taking on games that I know are NORMAL so to speak? I would think there are alot more of them? I dunno. 4k? Is that the normal ones? The list I found has a blank space for many games where it says BS in the column. Others have the f8 or f6 but most are blank so i guess I need to use most of the ones that are blank to conform on the cart? Ok WT'ell I just say? Im going ta bed! LOL

Edited by Phantom

I created a folder on my desktop called "Krokodile Cartridge." Then I dumped the contents of the CD into that folder. I also copied my ROMs folder into the "Krokodile Cartridge" folder. I started up the commander, picked out my roms and voila!

You can't write roms to the cart if you're running the Krokodile Commander off the CD (at least I couldn't anyway.) Once I copied everything to the hard drive, I've had no problems.

Start with trying to make a single game cart. Once you've made one successfully, try a multi cart.

I hope this helps! Best of luck!

Well I cant figure this thing out and Im not too shaby on the PC. I'll try again tomorrow but the thing is pissin me off. Granted I dont know much about bankswitching but I kinda understood it for this and it says it will automatically figure out the bankswitching if done in bulk? Atleast thats what I read but I cant get it to write and I still get messages saying A: to manually switch the bankswitching and when I attempt it, I lose the last hour of setting up the ROMS I wanted on it :ponder: and B: That it Cant write, it is in READ mode only. :ponder: :ponder: Now way of switching that to write from the menus so i must be doing something wrong......so 8 hours on and off down the tubes and Im sure I'll love it when I figure it out but I want to hit my head against a wall currently. :x

PS: I also read about an hour on bankswicthing and I understand it better. I would probbaly be better off using that old list and just taking on games that I know are NORMAL so to speak? I would think there are alot more of them? I dunno. 4k? Is that the normal ones? The list I found has a blank space for many games where it says BS in the column. Others have the f8 or f6 but most are blank so i guess I need to use most of the ones that are blank to conform on the cart? Ok WT'ell I just say? Im going ta bed! LOL

Make sure that you don't mix bankswitching format when creating making a multicart image.

Everything below 8k doesn't require bankswitching.

Make sure that you don't mix bankswitching format when creating making a multicart image.

Everything below 8k doesn't require bankswitching.

I thought everything was done automatically bankswitching wise if you used Bulk add ROMs. I used 4k Multi and thought it would just not load any that were not 4k on there and I guess Im wrong. I have so many diferent ROM folders for differnt things like 2600 a-d, e-h, etc.. Now Im thinking I have to break that donw into BS formats. Thats what I plan on doing so hopefully that works. I still dont understand why it says "can not write, is in read mode only" when I try to download so something else I am doing wrong it appears. Back to the drawing board tonight, thanks for the suggestions.

I thought everything was done automatically bankswitching wise if you used Bulk add ROMs. I used 4k Multi and thought it would just not load any that were not 4k on there and I guess Im wrong. I have so many diferent ROM folders for differnt things like 2600 a-d, e-h, etc.. Now Im thinking I have to break that donw into BS formats. Thats what I plan on doing so hopefully that works. I still dont understand why it says "can not write, is in read mode only" when I try to download so something else I am doing wrong it appears. Back to the drawing board tonight, thanks for the suggestions.

It's not quite as simple as that. You *can* create a bankswitch multicart that uses either the 2K/4K, 8K, 16K or 32K Atari modes (F8, F6, F4). Each of these modes will allow you to mix in 2K/4K games. For instance, you can create an 8K multicart that lets you use any 8K (F8) bankswitch games, as well as 2K and 4K games. But you cannot load any games that use a different type of bankswitching.

..Al

It's not quite as simple as that. You *can* create a bankswitch multicart that uses either the 2K/4K, 8K, 16K or 32K Atari modes (F8, F6, F4). Each of these modes will allow you to mix in 2K/4K games. For instance, you can create an 8K multicart that lets you use any 8K (F8) bankswitch games, as well as 2K and 4K games. But you cannot load any games that use a different type of bankswitching.

..Al

Ok so should I just separate the ROMs by F8, F4 and F6? and the rest should be compatable with either of these BS formats? Or am I still wrong? Thanks for the help.

On another note. I cant seem to load the cd onto my hard drive unless its already on there. I thought it did it automatically when I inserted the cd but it appears I need the cd in the drive. I am having a dickens of a time trying to save this to my hard drive and do i save every file or just the krockcommander.exe? I have folders for CD labels and ROMS and other stuff but I cant right click and save as or anything but browse and run which makes no sense to me. I dont know why Im having such a hard time with stuff that is usualy simple for me but I must be doing something wrong. I may need to buy another manual because Im killing mine trying to set this up and I wantedto keep that nice but so much for that! Thnaks for the help.

PS: Also, is there a list of the different bankswicth modes? Like These 200 games are f5 and these 500 games are 1k-4k and so on? The old list i found has them all mixed up and is very time consuming to find what BS a game is...

also,how do i Tell what a games BS mode is if it is new or a hack? Is there a way to look at the ROM properties to find out the BS mode? I have downloaded a bunch of Hacks from AA recently and Im only up to the B's but theres no real point if I cant get BS's for them beings I never uyse my PC to play. Anyhow, any help on that appreciated as well. Thanks

Edited by Phantom

and it says it will automatically figure out the bankswitching if done in bulk?

The Krokodile Commander comes with a database. Everything the Krokodile Commander knows about bankswitching is stored in this database. When you choose bulk load, the Commander automatically adds all valid ROM files from a folder on your drive to the multicart dialog list box. If a rom is not stored in this database it might be added although it is not valid.

Atleast thats what I read but I cant get it to write and I still get messages saying A: to manually switch the bankswitching and B: That it Cant write, it is in READ mode only.

You get this message if you did not copy the Krokodile Commander to your harddrive, because the Commander can not write to your CD. If you don't copy the commander to a drive where you have write permission, it will not be fully functional.

To avoid more problems, do this first. Copy it to your drive and start it from there.

PS: I also read about an hour on bankswicthing and I understand it better. I would probbaly be better off using that old list and just taking on games that I know are NORMAL so to speak? I would think there are alot more of them? I dunno. 4k? Is that the normal ones? The list I found has a blank space for many games where it says BS in the column. Others have the f8 or f6 but most are blank so i guess I need to use most of the ones that are blank to conform on the cart?

If you want to make a Multi-Cart you need basic knowledge of bankswitching. Although the Commander tries to not let you add invalid ROMs, you need to be aware that there are 4 different types of Multicarts on the Krokodile. I think these 4 type are explained quite well in the manual. There you can also read, which ROMs you can mix and what is not possible.

I thought everything was done automatically bankswitching wise if you used Bulk add ROMs. I used 4k Multi and thought it would just not load any that were not 4k on there and I guess Im wrong.

No, that is correct. But when you create the Multi-Cart binary, the Krokodile Commander must register the new Multicart in its own database. It can't do that if you don't have write permission. Thats why it fails. Not sure if anybody ever tried to make a multicart while running the commader directly from the CD. Maybe you are the first :)

I still dont understand why it says "can not write, is in read mode only" when I try to download so something else I am doing wrong it appears. Back to the drawing board tonight, thanks for the suggestions.

I hope this is clear now, copy the commander to your harddrive into a folder with write permission.

Ok so should I just separate the ROMs by F8, F4 and F6? and the rest

should be compatable with either of these BS formats? Or am I still wrong?

It should not be necessary to do that.

On another note. I cant seem to load the cd onto my hard drive unless its already on there. I thought it did it automatically when I inserted the cd but it appears I need the cd in the drive. I am having a dickens of

a time trying to save this to my hard drive and do i save every file or just the krockcommander.exe? I have folders for CD labels and ROMS and other stuff but I cant right click and save as or anything but browse and run which makes no sense to me. I dont know why Im having such a hard time with stuff that is usualy simple for me but I must be doing

something wrong. I may need to buy another manual because Im killing mine trying to set this up and I wantedto keep that nice but so much for that!

Make a new folder on your Hardrive. Name it "KrokodileCart" and copy the complete CD to that folder. If you have trouble to do that, I am sure a friend can help you to copy files from CD to a folder on your drive.

From now on, run the Krokodile Commander from that location.

If you can not manage to copy the CD to your drive, you will not have a lot of fun with your Krokodile, thats for sure.

PS: Also, is there a list of the different bankswicth modes? Like These 200 games are f5 and these 500 games are 1k-4k and so on? The old list i found has them all mixed up and is very time consuming to find what BS a game is...

All known ROMs are in the database. If you select them with the Krokodile Commander, it shows what mode it is together with additional information on the "database" tab.

also,how do i Tell what a games BS mode is if it is new or a hack? Is there a way to look at the ROM properties to find out the BS mode? I have downloaded a bunch of Hacks from AA recently and Im only up to the B's but theres no real point if I cant get BS's for them beings I never uyse my PC to play. Anyhow, any help on that preciated as well.

Try to find it in the Rarity Guide here on AA or you can ask the author or you need to guess from the ROM size.

If you don't want to lose hours of work, please save your work from time to time. You can do that on the multicart tab. You can save a ".MUL" file that contains all your selections. This can be re-loaded the next time you start the commander.

Good Luck :D

Good Luck- kroko

Thanks man that is very insightful. Heres the funny part. I decided to throw this is a console and one of my multis from last night took. I tried about 10 games and they all work and now I have more questions. Answer whenever you have the time or anyone that nows any of these answers please chime in. This working for me has caused me more head scratching but Im glad its working so help me understand this better as I havent a clue why it loaded onto my cart. I know you all are probably wondering "Why didnt you try it in a console before" answer is because it said it couldnt write and gave me error messages afetr every attempt so I assumed nothing worked. I still canty save the CD to my hard drive and I have 170gb available, plenty and plent of room and I just added 60 gb of music cds since I git a 200 gb 6 months ago, i finally wws comfortable enough to throw all my cDs on it but anyhow, please help answer these questions because if it saved, i definatley did this with the cd in the d drive and from what i understand, this isnt possible yet i did it somehow????.. Thanks

1) Why do I have error messages come up at the end everytime? Its says it is read only yet I wrote to the cart right? I still cant copy it to my hard drive. When i load the cd they are in folders but no where does it say to save and i cant find Save as anywhere so I can save it to a write folder. That has been my main confusion and Im confused more because the thing wrote to the cart?

2) Is it possible that I have non working ROMS on here because they are the wrong BS mode? I used Bulk because I thougt I read that right and then i went and deleted a few and added some with Bulk again from my e-h ROM folder and I have up unto Glacier Patrol on there and I singularly added 3 like Yankeemania though i dont know if that took or if it works but my point is, if 10 of them are working, then does that mean all of them should work and have the same BS mode?

3) So I have a file saved and named Initial Try 1, does that have what i have on my cart right now? I assume it does and does this mean I can load my games g-p alphabet wise like I have them onto a new list, save it once I send it to the cart and then swap them out for each other whenever I want? another example would be I have a f6 BS mode Menu saved. I load that but I can always go back to this one and reload it? a-g ROMs? Is that how it works or once Ive changed my cart to new Roms, the old menu and games are gone forever? If some of this sounds elementary Im sorry.

4) I still dont know why it saved to the cart. I still dont know why I cant use "Save as" and save it to its own Folder. I have a desktop shortcut that I saved but i need the CD in the drive to use it as it says shortcut not found when the CD isnt in the drive. Im using win200Pro if this helps but i'll be damned if i can figure out how to save these files to my hard dive.

Anyhow, im sure theyre other questions but Im tired mentally and thank you so much for all of your help all of you. I appear to have got it working so thats good enough for me for now. Time to go play a few. Cheers

I tried about 10 games and they all work and now I have more questions. Answer whenever you have the time or anyone that nows any of these answers please chime in. This working for me has caused me more head scratching but Im glad its working so help me understand this better as I havent a clue why it loaded onto my cart. I know you all are probably wondering "Why didnt you try it in a console before" answer is because it said it couldnt write and gave me error messages afetr every attempt so I assumed nothing worked. I still canty save the CD to my hard drive and I have 170gb available, plenty and plent of room and I just added 60 gb of music cds since I git a 200 gb 6 months ago, i finally wws comfortable enough to throw all my cDs on it but anyhow, please help answer these questions because if it saved, i definatley did this with the cd in the d drive and from what i understand, this isnt possible yet i did it somehow????

The error message means, that the Krokodile Commander can not write to the database. It can of course write to the cartridge. If you select the correct bankswitching mode manually and download the ROM, then there is no reason, why it should not work. But next time you choose the same ROM after you have closed the Commander, it will not remember that this was a multicart and you will again have to manually select the BS mode from the pulldown menu. If you do so, everything should be fine.

1) Why do I have error messages come up at the end everytime? Its says it is read only yet I wrote to the cart right?

Because I want to force everybody to copy their stuff to the harddrive. Trouble will not stop until you have done that, so do it ! "Read only" is the database, not the cartridge. You can always write to the cartridge.

I still cant copy it to my hard drive.

Try harder, or ask for help :)

2) Is it possible that I have non working ROMS on here because they are the wrong BS mode? I used Bulk because I thougt I read that right and then i went and deleted a few and added some with Bulk again from my e-h ROM folder and I have up unto Glacier Patrol on there and I singularly added 3 like Yankeemania though i dont know if that took or if it works but my point is, if 10 of them are working, then does that mean all of them should work and have the same BS mode?

I tried to design is such, that anything you add with bulk should work. Of course there are bad hacks out there which simply don't run on real hardware.

3) So I have a file saved and named Initial Try 1, does that have what i have on my cart right now?

Save it as a "MUL" File. The Binary itself can not be modified later. But the MUL file can be saved, copied and modified later. You can open MUL files with a text editor.

4) I still dont know why it saved to the cart. I still dont know why I cant use "Save as" and save it to its own Folder. I have a desktop shortcut that I saved but i need the CD in the drive to use it as it says shortcut not found when the CD isnt in the drive. Im using win200Pro if this helps but i'll be damned if i can figure out how to save these files to my hard dive.

If you have ICQ, I can help you to copy the CD to a folder on your drive, it is not that hard ...

Because I want to force everybody to copy their stuff to the harddrive. Trouble will not stop until you have done that, so do it ! "Read only" is the database, not the cartridge. You can always write to the cartridge.

QUOTE (Phantom @ Mon Dec 3, 2007 10:29 PM)

I still cant copy it to my hard drive.

Try harder, or ask for help

HELP!

You know I need somebody!

Help!

Not just anybody!

Help!

You know I need someone.....HELLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

When I was younger I used to save files everydayyyyy,

But Now I need Somebodys HELP in every way!

LOL, Seriously. I dont know what ICQ stands for.

I used to know but now my brain isnt working today.

As far as saving them to my hard drive, even if you didnt want to force people to, I would still want to. i dont have 380GB for nothing! LOL...I have windows 2000 pro. I hate xp and I havent tried the new one. I love 2000Pro but I dont know why it wont let me save it? It never asked me if I wanted to run it and it never asked if I wanted to save it. It just appears after the CD is in. I have to eat dinner but Im gonna try later tonight. Thanks for all the answers & help.-Ant :)

Edited by Phantom

Well, this is how I did it:

Step 1: Create a new folder on your desktop (or wherever you want to house the program/roms) and name said folder "Krokodile Commander."

Step 2: Put your Krokodile CD in your CD-ROM drive.

Step 3: Double-click on your CD Drive. A window will open, showing you the contents of the CD.

Step 4: Highlight all of the files/folders on the CD. You can either do it with the mouse, or you can go to the 'Edit' menu and click 'select all.'

Step 5: Click and drag the highlighted files/folders to the Krokodile Commander folder you created in step 1.

You should see a progress window open and you should see the files being copied to the folder on your hard drive.

Step 6: Store your CD away for safe keeping.

Step 7: Load tons of games on your Kroko Cart and play them on your Atari! :)

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Well, this is how I did it:

Step 1: Create a new folder on your desktop (or wherever you want to house the program/roms) and name said folder "Krokodile Commander."

Step 2: Put your Krokodile CD in your CD-ROM drive.

Step 3: Double-click on your CD Drive. A window will open, showing you the contents of the CD.

Step 4: Highlight all of the files/folders on the CD. You can either do it with the mouse, or you can go to the 'Edit' menu and click 'select all.'

Step 5: Click and drag the highlighted files/folders to the Krokodile Commander folder you created in step 1.

You should see a progress window open and you should see the files being copied to the folder on your hard drive.

Step 6: Store your CD away for safe keeping.

Step 7: Load tons of games on your Kroko Cart and play them on your Atari! :)

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Thanks, That helped. i now have it to my Hard Drive but now the error message comes up invalid path and I can change the Properties to uncheck the "Read Only" box. Will this enable it to write and why does it say invaild path now? Anyone? Confusing as all hell. The Saving to Hard Drive took 5 secs. I havent done it that way in years and kinda forgot about it. Im used to using save as. Anyhow, invalid path keeps coming up and Im done playing with it for the day. Im just exhausted. Thanks Deteacher and anyone that can explain why all of a sudden it would have a invalid path, please let me know any thoughts. Im thinking of deleting every KROK file I have and starting over to see if that helps but who knows. Im done for now, Thanks, cheers

Edited by Phantom

We have 240v mains in Australia. Will I damage the Krok cart if I use a regular Australian 6v transformer?

We have 240V in Germany too. :)

Anyway, what is a "regular Australian" 6V transformer?

And BTW: You can use the KC while it is plugged into the console (switched on) without any extra power supply. I am doing this all the time. After loading the cart, just switch off and on the console.

We have 240v mains in Australia. Will I damage the Krok cart if I use a regular Australian 6v transformer?

The Krokodile Cartridge requires a power supply with a voltage between

+6V and +9V DC and at least 500mA. An Atari 2600 power supply can

be used. The power connector is 3.5 mm and has exactly the same

dimensions and polarity as the connector of the 2600. Make sure that

the polarity of the connector is as follows: the tip is positive and the back

part of the connector is connected to ground. Do not swap the polarity,

because you could damage your Krokodile Cartridge.

240V input is ok as long as you get the specified output :)

Edited by Kroko

The Krokodile Cartridge requires a power supply with a voltage between

+6V and +9V DC and at least 500mA. An Atari 2600 power supply can

be used. The power connector is 3.5 mm and has exactly the same

dimensions and polarity as the connector of the 2600. Make sure that

the polarity of the connector is as follows: the tip is positive and the back

part of the connector is connected to ground. Do not swap the polarity,

because you could damage your Krokodile Cartridge.

240V input is ok as long as you get the specified output :)

Thanks

We have 240V in Germany too. :)

Anyway, what is a "regular Australian" 6V transformer?

And BTW: You can use the KC while it is plugged into the console (switched on) without any extra power supply. I am doing this all the time. After loading the cart, just switch off and on the console.

You are a braver man than I, Thomas. The manual says not to do that. I wouldn't take the chance of risking damage to this beauty. Believe me, if it said I had to stand on my head and whistle the main theme from Star Wars before programming the Krok, you better believe I'd be learning how to stand on my head right now. :D :D :D