IGNORED

Raiden won't work on my Lynx 2???

Joecool

I just received Raiden today and need some help getting this to work on my Lynx 2. After inserting the game, all I get is the insert game screen. I've tried cleaning the contacts and moving the game in every conceivable fashion, but no luck. Anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

Have you tried other games in your Lynx? I sometimes have had problems with some Lynx games. The Lynx and the Jaguar weren't made as well as other Atari systems. I have had problems with both systems when it comes to getting some games to work. If you still can't get it to work I would be interested in buying it from you.

Was it bought new or S/H?

If you bought it new, take/send it back to where you got it.

If you got it S/H, and it was advertised as working, (try to) get a refund.

But before resorting to the above, try cleaning the contacts again. Peeps often recommend q-tips and some sort of rubbing alcohol (or even paint thinner), but do so at your own risk. Failing that, try an eraser, and give the contacts a good rubbing with it - has been known to work on carts that were given up for dead.

After that, insert and withdraw the cart a few times from the slot - this action would freshen the contacts more, as I believe the pins in the slot cut slightly into the contacts on the cart to ensure a circuit is formed.

I bough it used, but it looks new. The contacts don't show any wear or any signs of being dirty either. I've cleaned them with q-tips and alcohol and nothing changed and I've also moved the cart in every conceivable fashion trying to get something out of this. I can't understand the problem. All 50 of my other carts work flawlessly including protos and homebrews. I'll try using an eraser on the contacts, but if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to try returning it or selling it.

Thanks for the help...

Having very similar difficulties with a Checkered Flag i just got off ebay.

Very annoying.

Tried cleaning, inserting everywhich way and i always get the 'insert game' screen.

Vendor wants me to claim from the postal service but since the thing turned up and there's no visible damage i can't imagine they'd accept responsibility. Surely its down to the ebay vendor?

I've had similar problems with other cart based systems, though not with my Lynx. It's possible that you may need to clean the contacts inside the Lynx itself and not on the cart. This has worked with my Intellivision and my Colecovision in the past, even though the problem seemed to only effect specific games, no amount of cleaning the games helped, but cleaning the contacts in the systems did the trick.

-S

Sytem slots are cleaned, the cart is cleaned, the cart's been moved every way possible, and nothing,,,"Insert Game" :?

I give up! All I can do now I guess is try to find another Lynx system to try this out on. The seller says it worked in his Lynx 2, but he did say that he had to push the cart "hard" into the slot for it to work. I've pushed as hard as possible without breaking the system with no luck. It almost looks to me like the contacts on the cart are not long enough to fully extend into the slot to match up the contacts. Maybe this would explain why the seller of this game had to push it in hard to get the contacts to match up in his system, but if this is true, why won't pushing the cart in hard on my Lynx work...?

I can't believe that you would have to push a card in "hard" to make it work. Maybe he means "as far as it can go". Maybe him pusing it in hard has done some damage to the card, something physical, I dunno.

Have you compared how the contacts extend downwards with other cards? There isn't a scan up of the card for Raiden here to have a look at, but I imagine they should be much the same as other cards. I haven't had any trouble with my 2 Telegames cards (Qix and Euro Soccer Chal), and didn't notice any difference in the contacts. I did compare the two scans of Qix and Rampart here, and did notice that the Qix card sticker covers more of the contacts than the Rampart sticker, so maybe you're sticking the card in a bit too much? Maybe try pushing it in as far as it will go (not hard), and then pull it back out a bit, say a couple of millimetres, then switching it on.

As you said, it would be good to be able to test it in another machine.

If you think it's not going in far enough, you could try cutting off the plastic bit (or at least trimming it back) that extends below the contacts. That would definately allow you to push it in further.

Anyway, best of luck. I've been lucky so far, no duds yet after 35. I've had a few slow strats, but a gentle clean of the contacts has always done the trick.

Well I removed the excess at the end of the cart so that the contacts would definately be in connection with the slot, but still get insert game. This cart must just be trash. It's not gonna work for nothing apparently. There is no way the contacts aren't reaching far enough in the slot now, and I've moved the cart around and around since trimming the cart and nothing. This really sucks...

I found a store with 3 Lynx's in it, and tried Raiden on all of them. It will work on one of them as long as I hold pressure to the top of the cart, pushing into the back of the Lynx. At least it does work, but now how do I get passed the having to hold the top of the cart? It's like the cart is just barely not thick enough to stay in contact, because it plays fine as long as hold the top of the cart against the Lynx, but if I let go it freezes the game...

Good to hear the card isn't dead at least.

You could try sticking some lengths of tape (sellotape, or masking tape, or similar) to the back of the card to help make a better contact. It would thicken the card, which sounds like what you need.

Another alternative would be to have someone with a card that is definitely dead, peel back the sticker on both, and switch circuits and stickers. I think the circuit board just pops out when you remove the sticker. You'll make a bit of a mess of the stickers, but if you're into playing and not so much collecting, then this wouldn't matter too much.

If I had a dead card I'd send the plastic to you, but I don't have any deads, yet!