IGNORED

Question about Atari 800 running on Macintosh

birdie3

It's too bad that there is not a way to convert .ROM files to .ATR and then that way I could just run it with no problems. I am too cheap to get Mac OS X but this may now be a good reason. :roll:

There are many good reasons to use OS X over the classic Mac OS, besides Atari800MacX (which is a great emulator!) A new version of Stella was recently released for OS X, bringing it up to date with the other versions, and there are many other emulators being released for OS X, such as Mugrat, an excellent ColecoVision emulator. If you have a machine capable of running OS X reasonably well, I think you'll be very pleased.

..Al

My machine will run OSX, I just need to get some RAM happening..

Atari800Mac is by far much smoother than Rainbow. Rainbow doesn't even run half of the .ATR's I put into it. The older version of Stella works great on my Powermac as well. A few crashes on some PAL games but it's not a big deal. I also use an older Colecovision emulator called ColEm and it works quite good for the most part.

I have been attempting to play a few of the larger cartridge titles I don't own yet but these older inferrior emulators only play 8k and 16k cartridge sizes. Hopefully OSX isn't too confusing once I finally get it.