IGNORED

Joust Pong?

Synthead

Yes, Liveinabin did some tremendous work...the most recent entry of the FlapPing development journal goes through a bit of the artwork development process...nothing too amazing, he came up with the basic idea at the first go, but still, people might want to take a gander, if just to see what game was a strong influence to Dave's thinking. and yes 'FlapPing' is a VERY clever name and Thomas is duly thanked for it in the dev journal and even the new manual...

Incidentally, if people are wondering...the new artwork really is the biggest change between JoustPong and FlapPing ("flap-ping" is also acceptable) Other changes:

* New Title Screen w/ new name

* Fuji (for "CPU player") replaced with binary code icon

* On winning a 3 pt game, the score changes to "W" rather than remaining "3" (minor bug from initial release)

Hmm, that's about it really. (Well, the manual has some new text) I was thinking about trying to enhance the music but my idea for atari improv didn't pan out.

I really am looking forward to making a poster w/ the new art, it's quite lovely.

I wonder if that has to be changed in e.g. Gunfight too. :ponder:

It's not something I would worry about, you're using it to specify that you're playing against the computer. I can't imagine them making a big fuss out of a very low-resolution version of a fuji symbol being used in a game like that.

..Al

Hi there!

It's not something I would worry about, you're using it to specify that you're playing against the computer. I can't imagine them making a big fuss out of a very low-resolution version of a fuji symbol being used in a game like that.

Too bad. Now I need to think of another excuse for the

Ultra Gunfight+ 2005 Platinum Edition (Limited Release)

:lolblue:

Greetings,

Manuel

Yes, Liveinabin did some tremendous work...the most recent entry of the FlapPing development journal goes through a bit of the artwork development process...nothing too amazing, he came up with the basic idea at the first go, but still, people might want to take a gander, if just to see what game was a strong influence to Dave's thinking. and yes 'FlapPing' is a VERY clever name and Thomas is duly thanked for it in the dev journal and even the new manual...

Very interesting to read. Thanks.I just wish I would be able to find any good names for my own projects

Hi there!

Too bad. Now I need to think of another excuse for the

Ultra Gunfight+ 2005 Platinum Edition (Limited Release)

Heh. Well, obviously, if the opportunity arises, feel free to rip my 110101 icon.

Quick brainstorm: what other, say, 8*8 graphics would easily say "computer controlled player?" It's pretty straightforward to draw a joystick in those constraints, but I couldn't even get a decent "CPU" in that space. Fujis were pretty good, though you had to fudge the center bar (I briefly played with some 30mhz flicker stuff)

Quick brainstorm: what other, say, 8*8 graphics would easily say "computer controlled player?"

A chip. Fall Down uses one on the title screen to show player vs. CPU mode. Although not 8x8, I think one that size could be done. (Sorry it's not an original idea... but I thought it worth mentioning.) :wink:

Quick brainstorm: what other, say, 8*8 graphics would easily say "computer controlled player?"

A chip. Fall Down uses one on the title screen to show player vs. CPU mode. Although not 8x8, I think one that size could be done. (Sorry it's not an original idea... but I thought it worth mentioning.) :wink:

Oh, I didn't specify "original", I'm happy to see how other games have done it in the past.

There aren't too many CPU opponents in Atari land (which is one of the cool things I like about FlapPing).

The chip isn't bad...I realize I forgot that I'm using a 2-line-kernal, so my pixels are closer to square than the ones he uses for the VCS chip.

So far we have Fuji, "VCS on chip", and my binary. Probably listed in descending order of intuitiveness. Any others?

I guess some old Atari games either had it implicit in the variation #, or started moving the CPU player to show it was active, or displayed a 1 or a 2.

I really like the image you use for your Avatar, is that going to stay (sans the illegal text of course! ;) )

Yeah, I think it works better than the new artwork, which is more "scenic". I should make an updated version.

It's really nice, kind of a geeky badge of honor, to be able to plug your own game or hack in avatar form. I used to have a cool block of animated Pitfall Harrys...FlapPing lacks that kind of interesting animation, alas.

Man, I should pick up a few old ideas I had. The trouble was I never did get very good at programming the VCS, and I have so many other projects in friendlier languages to get done...