IGNORED

Sunnyvale models

bigfatjack77

hi,

I have recently purchase a 2600, and am a little confused. I have a SN 76488 and the made in sunnyvale sticker, but i have seen a genuine looking heavy sixer with a higher SN? I realise this is not a 1977 model as it has an orange line around the switches and the wood is squared off at the moulding and not rounded. Also I have no SN on the box but it does say sunnyvale on the box? Someone educate me please!

• 1 month later...

Not to bring back an old topic but I have 2 2600s that are the heavy sixer style, rounded corners, thicker sides, broken joints. Both have a sunnyvale label but one has "made in tawain" underneath. Were heavy sixers made in tawain? If not then were non-heavys made w/ the same body style?

I'm an AtariAge member with only a two joystick rating, so take from this what you'd like, but my understanding is that they did make heavy sixers in Taiwan, for a short period of time. I assume that when production began in Taiwan, they were still using the old Heavy Sixer cases, but then decided that they could cut costs by modifying the case so that it was much lighter. This would also help with shipping costs!

I actually owned a Heavy Sixer made in Taiwan and sold it on eBay a few months back. It had the serial number 000000071 (Give or take a 0), which made it sell for much more than normal.

Hope this helps.

If anyone feels that I have misrepresented history please let me know.

The myth that Heavy-Sixers were only made in Sunnyvale just won't die.

Heavy-Sixers, Light-Sixers, and 4-Switchers (including Vaders it appears) were all produced in Sunnyvale and Taiwan.

S/N are hard to interpret. Here is the most plausible interpretation of serial numbers I've read.

The serial number format differences you've identified was caused when Atari went outside for licensed production. I believe TRW was the first licensed production facility outside Sunnyvale. The original Atari Sunnyvale 1977-78 heavy sixers have the serial number letter suffix. Each letter represents 99,999 units. For example, S/N 25311J is the (99,999 *10) + 25,311 or 1,025,301 produced. This is a mid-production heavy sixer probably dating to spring 1978. I've seen A suffix Serial numbers but never a number without a letter. The latest I've seen is a S/N ending in 'U' which is very late production around 2million produced. Many of the 6-switch regular cases have serial numbers representing year of production. 80XXX, 81XXX or 82XXX. A woodgrain 4-switch will typically begin 82XXX or 83XXX, the 4-black 83XXX and 84XXX, representing year of production. Even the 2600Jr year or production can be determined by the Serial number 87XXX or 88XXX. As in life, there are exceptions..

Actually, I own several heavy sixers, including a couple of Sunnyvale models.  So far, all but one of them have had the angular housing, and that one was made in Taiwan.  Go figure. :ponder:

Those wouldn't be heavy sixers, then. Heavy sixers are identified exclusively by both the thick aluminum shielding and the rounded moulding. Neither the thick shielding nor the presence of six switches alone make it a heavy sixer; it is the presence of all of those attributes.