IGNORED

Bird's eye shooter games

Synthead

There's a 2600 version of Xevious. I've only played it in emulation, I have no idea how common the carts are. It's an amazing stretch that they even tried to port it to the 2600. The result is about as good as you can expect I suppose. I think the non-scrolling shooting-gallery type games work better on this system.

Zaxxon

He asked for good games. ;)

I used to love VCS Zaxxon.

Perhaps because I'd never played the original at the time.

Not an overhead view, but Defender 2/Stargate is a scrolling shooter, which seems to be the goal.

sadly, espial wears out pretty quick. Tho not strictly like scrolling overhead shooters, I love 2600 threshold and spider fighter. and turmoil is a really unique variant. 2600 vanguard has some good overhead shooting elements. Strategy X by konami is a fun scrolling overhead shooter, but you control a tank. It has a pretty large amount of level area for a 2600 game.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a River Raid cart off ebay from your suggestion and I got it in the mail today. I LOVE this game! It's so ... GREAT! The visual and audio experience is incredible - I was really amazed that my 2600 could pull this off. I emulated it and still didn't know if it'd run well on my 2600 (I even soldered together a working parallel port interface for my TAC-2). What a great game!

I'm gonna have to pick some other games you guys mentioned off ebay too - I have lot of faith in the taste of you guys' games!

Zaxxon

He asked for good games. ;)

I used to love VCS Zaxxon.

Perhaps because I'd never played the original at the time.

Not an overhead view, but Defender 2/Stargate is a scrolling shooter, which seems to be the goal.

Zaxxon is supposed to be a 3-D shooter, but on the 2600 it comes off as more of a birds-eye shooter...piss poor port...

Galaxian, kind of.

Oops...well, there's SUPPOSED to be a scrolling star background there ;-)

River Raid is the probably the most amazing instance, though. What's impressive about it is how well it's crafted, I played it for a long time before realizing how well it deal with the 2600's limitations, like there's only ever 2 objects per scan line, your plane and something else. And then, the brilliance of it generating a huge amount of "content" yet still being a tiny little cartridge...really brilliant.

I bought a River Raid cart off ebay from your suggestion and I got it in the mail today.  I LOVE this game!  

You know, since you're new to all this, I thought I'd also suggest Chopper Command and Defender. Although they're side scrollers, both those games are played in my house when we're in a "River Raid mood" after we're done with River Raid.

There's a 2600 version of Xevious.  I've only played it in emulation, I have no idea how common the carts are.  It's an amazing stretch that they even tried to port it to the 2600.  The result is about as good as you can expect I suppose.  I think the non-scrolling shooting-gallery type games work better on this system.

Xevious on 2600 is just a prototype.

Communist Mutants is a good one, and Beamrider is too, although that one, I think, isn't the camera perspective you're looking for, it plays like a vertical shooter.

I bought a River Raid cart off ebay from your suggestion and I got it in the mail today.  I LOVE this game!  

You know, since you're new to all this, I thought I'd also suggest Chopper Command and Defender. Although they're side scrollers, both those games are played in my house when we're in a "River Raid mood" after we're done with River Raid.

Already got it! Still in the mail though :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8138188703&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT