IGNORED

Atari Sellers. Rating System

Atari Charles

Due to a variety of occurances in my life with collecting Atari and other things, I'd like to do a rating system for various crappy types of sellers. This would be on a 5 Jackass(dunce icon) system. 5 jackassess is the worst seller. 1 Jackass is just an innocent but unknowledgable seller.

These are Atari Scumholes:

The Flea Market Scammer who wants way more than what the cartridge is worth because they think OLD=RARE. These dumbasses' ignorance is only equaled by their greed. Rating 3 :dunce:

The Ebay Slimeball: this is the guy that make a dishonest living buying old carts or gamesystems for nothing and selling them or at least trying to labelling them as rare. This moron thinks ET is rare and worth lots of money because it is old. He/she is also the person that soemhow snags up free things in the paper, not because they are into the hobbie, but strictly to sell. Rating 3.5 :dunce:

The Corrupt Store Owner: Here's a real treat. This guy/gal buys games of crackheads for .25 cents a piece and resells them for a lot more. The problem with this dude is that he doesn't honor his prices. Also he cares nothing abotu the hobbie, even though he claims to love Japanese culture. ;) This guy is an expert and tearing apart cartridges, damaging them in the process out of sheer greed. He is also very good at starting bidding wars to get the last ounce of blood from the eager buyer(scamorama). He is the worst parasite in the gaming world. Rating 5 :dunce:

Feel free to add more.

Dude, you definitely have a hatred towards anyone who is not a collector and wants to make money in the deal. There are many areas of retail where the person who owns the business have nothing to do with what they are buying and selling and have no interest in their product short of money.

I do agree with the scumbag seller being a 5, though people like this usually do not stay in business for long. Once word gets out, he loses customers and cannot possibly stay in business.

You forgot the person who sells something knowing it doesn't work. At least they can't get it to work, and puts the term "untested, sold as is" in their auction. I'll leave the rating up to you.

Phil

Phil said, "Dude, you definitely have a hatred towards anyone who is not a collector and wants to make money in the deal. There are many areas of retail where the person who owns the business have nothing to do with what they are buying and selling and have no interest in their product short of money. "

Actually, maybe I sounded harsher than what I really am. I think it is one thing if a dealer buys something, knows what he is selling, cleans the item up, and charges a fair price. That's fine, but the perdatory kind of dealers that are in a sense rip off artists like our favorite Meltdown seller, is wrong.

I think it is the old saying:

The shopekeeper says, "I can't sell it for that. I have to eat!"

The Custoemr replies, "But I don't have to feed you whole family."

I have actually had the supposidly untested item sold to me on Ebay. It was a digital effects until that this guy said he had no way to test(he could have easily hooked it up to a home stereo to see if it worked), so I took his word for it. When I got it, it was pacakged realy poorly and of course it didn't work. It pwered on but only made white static noise(one of the chips was blown). Oh well, live and learn. If a seller says they the item is untested, then I assume that it is broken.

Oh that type of seller gets an honory 4 :dunce:

Actually, the sellers that I can't stand the most are those that never send your item, or those that overcharge on shipping -- not just a buck or two, but often overcharging by $5 or even $10 -- or even higher!

Right up there with those pains in the a$$ are the sellers that offer you a warranty or exchange, but fail to honor it if there is a problem.

But, lets not bash all sellers.

I sell stuff on eBay too, but I am more a buyer/collector. There's a lot of us that buy large lots just to get the one or two items that we're after. Sometimes, that is the only way to get something.

After a while, we end up with piles of stuff we don't need. I don't see a problem with putting that stuff up on eBay just to try and recoup some of the costs. Or, I can use that as a justification to buy more stuff :)

Mail order is a nightmare. More than once I've wound up paying more for the shipping than the goods. It's worse when you dont drive as you can't simply say you will come and collect it. But having said that there are a lot of genuine people too who cahrge fairly. Once i brought somethign froma shop and the actual shipping they charged was actually less than the postage they had to pay.

Traders are just normal human beings, some wish no harm, others are just out to screw you for all they can get.

Yeah, some people seem like they're selling the carts cheap just to make money off the shipping. Others may just be lazy and use USPS Priority Mail, even though it's more expensive, because they get the packaging for free and don't have to worry about finding packaging themselves.

I always look for eBay sellers with good feedback who post several carts at once and are willing to combine on shipping. I never buy just one cart at a time. Not worth it.

I had an experience with a game trading store in Sacramento. They told me over the phone that, yes, they do have a lot of Atari carts and they're all $.50 each. When I got there, they said, oh, that's only when you buy the console, too, and it's $50. Otherwise the carts are $2.00 each. >.<

Yeah, some people seem like they're selling the carts cheap just to make money off the shipping. Others may just be lazy and use USPS Priority Mail, even though it's more expensive, because they get the packaging for free and don't have to worry about finding packaging themselves.

Rating 4:dunce:

I had an experience with a game trading store in Sacramento. They told me over the phone that, yes, they do have a lot of Atari carts and they're all $.50 each. When I got there, they said, oh, that's only when you buy the console, too, and it's $50. Otherwise the carts are $2.00 each. >.<

Rating 4.5 :dunce:

Mail order is a nightmare. More than once I've wound up paying more for the shipping than the goods. It's worse when you dont drive as you can't simply say you will come and collect it. Rating 4 :dunce:

...others are just out to screw you for all they can get. Rating 5 :dunce:

What about the ebay shipping gougers? $1 for the cart...$5 for shipping...

Rating 4 :dunce:

Actually, the sellers that I can't stand the most are those that never send your item, or those that overcharge on shipping -- not just a buck or two, but often overcharging by $5 or even $10 -- or even higher! Rating 4.2 :dunce:

Right up there with those pains in the a$$ are the sellers that offer you a warranty or exchange, but fail to honor it if there is a problem. 3.5 :dunce:

The ratings may not be 100% spot on, but I think we can all agree that someone who wrecks or damages the internal workings of a prototype due to greed is a 5 :dunce: