IGNORED

Is Lock 'N' Chase your favorite eat-the-dot maze game?

Random Terrain

A recent thread inspired me to create this new topic.

Do you like Lock 'N' Chase more than games such as Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man for the Atari 2600? I love the flicker-free fun, capturing the cops, and trying to get the upper treasure and lower treasure before they disappear.

http://www.atariage.com/manual_html_page.h...wareLabelID=273

I don't love maze games as much as I used to, but Lock 'N' Chase for the Atari 2600 is the one I play whenever I'm in the mood. It's even better than the arcade version (faster, less waiting around).

I'd agree with that - Lock 'N' Chase is very good. I like most M-Network games for their solid graphics and tight gameplay. Not always the flashiest games, but some of the most fun IMO.

Jr. Pac is another real contender for best maze game though. I'm always impressed by the speed and the features Atari packed into that one.

Jr. Pac is another real contender for best maze game though.   I'm always impressed by the speed and the features Atari packed into that one.

Oh yeah, that is pretty good. It's just too bad that it has so much flicker. Games without flicker make me happy and I always kill fewer people on days when I play those games. :D

My favorite 2600 dot-eater remains Jawbreaker. I don't enjoy Lock N Chase at all, too dull. I'm not a dot-eating fan anyway. And now for one more reminder that Lock N Chase stars the Japanime character Lupin.

Counting homebrews/hacks, Nukey Shay's "Hangly Man" is the king of the genre.

My favorite 2600 dot-eater remains Jawbreaker.

Those constantly spinning faces and sliding doors hurt my eyes too much. It also has that Turmoil/Taz look instead of having more of a maze look, so that also bugs me.

I don't enjoy Lock N Chase at all, too dull.

Have you played it with the difficulty switch set to A? With an emulator such as z26/x26, you have to do that (F6), then hit reset (F1) or it doesn't seem to work. The most fun I have is capturing the cops and trying to get to the treasure before it goes away.

Counting homebrews/hacks, Nukey Shay's "Hangly Man" is the king of the genre.

Oh yeah, I wasn't counting hacks, but I should check out more of those. What is the latest stable version of Hack'em/Hanglyman?

What is the latest stable version of Hack'em/Hanglyman?

Its in this topic:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55226&start=275

Thanks, but it's unclear which file it is. It's like, here's a new one that is crappier than the one before, but it's better in some ways, but it's not, but it is. Too confusing. I just want the last one that is considered to be finished, not some experimental weirdness.

What is the latest stable version of Hack'em/Hanglyman?

Its in this topic:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55226&start=275

Thanks, but it's unclear which file it is. It's like, here's a new one that is crappier than the one before, but it's better in some ways, but it's not, but it is. Too confusing. I just want the last one that is considered to be finished, not some experimental weirdness.

This version is stable on everything except an actual cart...still trying to fix that problem (that I wasn't aware existed until it was burned to an actual eprom).

http://www.atariage.com/forums/download.php?id=30884

This version is stable on everything except an actual cart...still trying to fix that problem (that I wasn't aware existed until it was burned to an actual eprom).http://www.atariage.com/forums/download.php?id=30884

Thanks. That's much better than it was the last time I played it. I wonder what you could do with Lock 'N' Chase to make it even better?

OK, dumb question time.   I just tried to download the hangly man hack from that link and my computer didn't know what to do with it...  I saved it to desktop and it downloaded as a php file .... how do I download it so I can play it through my emulator?

When you download it, save it as a zip file then unstuff it. You'll then have the bin file that you could plug into your favorite emulator.

Yeah, I'd say this is one of the top Pac-Man type games. The two prize deal is pretty neat (especially if you're lucky enough to snag both of them :D). Temporarily freezing the cops by doing just that (grabbing a treasure) helps here and there. And throwing a door in their face (even if you don't trap them) rocks :D

Even though a lot of people looked down at it as to being too kind of the Pac-Man orphan, or whatever, rather than being just following the Pac-Man line by eating dots, as per usual, this is the same reason why I liked Super Pac-Man in the arcades, because it had more strategy than just eating dots and putting off using the energizers as long as possible, due to unlocking doors and all. Plus the super Pac Speed (or whatever) also kicked ass.

My favorite 2600 dot-eater remains Jawbreaker. I don't enjoy Lock N Chase at all, too dull. I'm not a dot-eating fan anyway. And now for one more reminder that Lock N Chase stars the Japanime character Lupin.

I remember Lupin as a tall, thin guy, and the guys in Lock N Chase are kind of small and squarish. How can you tell that it is Lupin? Was his picture on the Japanese packaging?

And his name on the machine and in the manuals. Every game mag in the day wrote that it was adapted from a Japanse anime series. With the chjaracter being called Lupin (this would have been Lupin the First) even in the Japanese edition and with the character being a thief, we're pretty much assuming the rest barring further developments.

I haven't played all the dot-munch games on the 2600, but I must say that Nukey has done a great job with his Hack'em / Hangly Man hack. I've had a blast playing it recently and it's definitely one of the more enjoyable dot-munch games for the 2600.

Now, as far as commercially released games "back in the day", I think Ms. Pac-Man and Jr. Pac-Man are both very well done.

..Al