IGNORED

Is Lock 'N' Chase your favorite eat-the-dot maze game?

Random Terrain

Officially?  Probably not.  Unofficially?  All it needs is to be burned to a chip (tho I'm still unsure if the latest version fixed the screen roll following intermissions).

I don't remember if this has been asked before, so I'll ask anyway. Is it possible for you to recreate the arcade Pac-Man sound for that game?

Um...which sound are you referring to?  I thought that they were pretty close (at least as close as I could come up with)?

< sucks at sounds

I have no idea about the limitations of sound with the Atari 2600, so it might be impossible, but it would be cool if you could play Pac-Man using something like MAME, pay close attention to each sound and figure out a way to get closer. The dot eating sound you use is better than the rubber band sound, but it would be cool if you get even closer to the arcade. I think the worst sound is when you eat a ghost. Reminds me of the sound a robot would make if it could fart. Do you know anyone who is great at recreating sounds on an Atari 2600?

Too bad there isn't a program that can take a sound sample and convert it into something that the Atari 2600 can use.

The dot eating sound you use is better than the rubber band sound, but it would be cool if you get even closer to the arcade.

I agree. But I just can't get it nailed :sad:

I think the worst sound is when you eat a ghost. Reminds me of the sound a robot would make if it could fart.

I disagree. The worst sound to me is the dot-eating sound. The arcade's crunchy wokka sound is sorely missed :sad: And the brreeEEEP! sound of eating a monster is probably not possible to do (given the range and high pitch of it)...so I was stuck with an alternate sound anyway. Tried about 50 versions of that sound before giving up.

(edit, save, compile, run z26, exit, edit, save, compile, run z26, exit, etc...yes, it really IS that slow for me!)

Do you know anyone who is great at recreating sounds on an Atari 2600?

Anybody who's made a game ;) I'm just a hacker.

Too bad there isn't a program that can take a sound sample and convert it into something that the Atari 2600 can use.

There is, sort of (tho I dunno about the 2600 specifically). I used to use a digitizer on the Atari 8-bits to help figure out sound frames. In addition to the confusing distortion channel, the problem on the 2600 would be speed and size of the sound data. Since I'm a total novice when it comes to cycle counting (or just distortion values in general!), I'm limited to sounds that play using the 60hz kernal...and the sound data is limited both by the available space (about 64 bytes total) and the counter that keeps track of the sound data pointer (which could be no longer than 256 values for all the sound FX combined - i.e. a single "page" of memory). It took quite a while of hit-and-miss editing just to get the siren to sound like a siren! One lucky break is that I stumbled upon the bluetime sound, which sounds pretty good, almost by accident just by flipping a couple bits of the siren. The fruit sound was also pretty lucky...I had given up on that one quite a while ago and then finally getting a halfway-decent version of it when just picking away at it one day when I was bored.