IGNORED

Non-heavy Sunnyvale models?

garty

Hi. First of all, I'm new to this forum, and very new to the world of Atari. Having browsed this excellent website I decided that I had to own a 2600 Woody console. So after a bit of persistance I found one on eBay for a reasonable price. (Immensely pleased with it, but that's another story!)

Imagine my delight when I looked at the label underneath to find that it's one of the original, 1977 Sunnyvale models, the "heavy sixer", surely? The exact text on the label goes;

"MFG. BY ATARI INC., SUNNYVALE, CA.

MODEL NO. CX-2600

COVERED BY U.S. PATENTS 3,793,483;

3,900,886; 3,723,652; 3,728,480; RE 28507;

RE 28598 & PATENT PENDING

S.N. 90112"

The label certainly looks like it's been there since 1977, and the console looks like it's that old.

But, it's clearly not a heavy sixer. Looking closely at photos and discussion on this subject before, it's a PAL non-heavy 2600. I've completely dismantled it, and the ticket taped to the inside does not have a date but a printed number. The motherboard itself is a reddish-brown colour, and has a seperate piece of paper attached to it with a different printed number. Interestingly, it looks like the RF modulator may have been replaced, but this could be just a small defect.

There's no reason for the seller to try and pass something off as a heavy sixer as it was sold as a "normal" 2600 woody.

So what have I got? Any ideas? I know there has been a lot of discussion on this before, but no real conclusions have been reached. Any input would be appreciated.

How's this for a mystery:

This weekend I picked up a heavy sixer. On the bottom reads:

MFG. BY ATARI INC., SUNNYVALE, CA.

MODEL NO. CX-2600

S/N 469962

It has chrome switches rather than the brushed silver ones. Inside it has the real heavy RF shielding. Also inside is a small piece of paper taped to the shielding with a hand written "8-30-82". On the PC Board near the switches is an ink stamped "20 NOV 1981". Also on the shielding is a red sticker with black font reading "PAL", yet the machine is NTSC.

:?

Sounds like its come straight from a scrap yard :roll:

There seem to be many different stickers and mismatched consoles, the only people who could answer all our questions is a Supervisor/worker on the shop/factory floor at atari from 1978 - 1982 :ponder:

I just found a yellow label and it states its made by Dimerco Electronics so there are Yellow sunnys and yellow Taiwan. Think they just ran out of white colour labels one day.

All we would need to know is Atari's numbering system. If they started at ooooo1 and went up for ALL the consoles or if they had seperate sets for individual models or if each manufacturing contractor was assigned a block of #s or if they had their own set. The color of the labels is redundant. I know this much, the units made overseas has the name of the company contracted to produce printed on the label (WONG LLC). Most of my Sunnyvale's serial #'s end with a letter designation, which could indicate several things like when it was made (month year) or by whom (manufact). Actually it wouldn't be that difficult, if we had a hundred or so serial #'s from all the different models Heavy, 6 switch, 4 switch etc. and where they were made things would start to fall into place, even the 'frankenstein' units would eventually be exposed or identified. So in closing I propose this - instead of everyone trying to out geek each other with a little effort some questions can be answered. Oh yeah one more thing the three plactic components have part numbers on them, I am not looking at one now but if the #'s are raised that would lead me to believe that they originate from the actual injection mold. A tech/repair reference guide would cut the work in half. Here I will start the pic are all Sunnyvales 3 different six switch and 1 heavy as indicated. Just by the first pic the 6 switch has a lower # than the heavy model, but they have diff letter designations at the end. The other pic is of a 6 switch with NO label I got this one in a huge lot I still haven't fully gone through yet.

post-5826-1099947253_thumb.jpg

post-5826-1099947254_thumb.jpg