IGNORED

Favorite 2600 Console

DominiRican05

Hey I'm a newbie on here, so don't mind my modest question. :-) Which is your favorite version of the 2600? I own the woodgrain model with the 4 switches, it was my sister's and my dad was able to preserve it for all these years. :) I like it except that I wish the controller slots were in the front rather than the back, but in my opinion it has the coolest look. I was thinking of getting my hands on a 2600jr, but I heard they don't hold up as well. Any verdict on this? I know my woodgrain has been through some rough times and fired up perfectly on the first shot 8)

I owned a six-switch 'Woody' back in the day, and then I bought a 2600jr. in the late 80s to replace it. I'd have to say that the 2600jr was a little nicer. Sure, I could "fry" the six-switcher, but the Junior was nice and compact, and had a power LED, so I wouldn't accidentally leave it on all night, like I did with my old Woody.

For nostalgic value I'll always have like the original Heavy Sixer. My best friend had one of these. My own first Atari was a 2nd generation 6 switch.

I remember looking all over to find a store that had one left. There was a severe shortage in our area at least. I think this was in 78.

For playing and testing cartridges now, I use the 2600 jr. It's compact and it doesn't scuff the labels on the cartridges. 8)

The SVAII/Atari 2800 IS very sweet looking, that's certain -- really funky and retro-futuristing with all the LEDs. My main gripe are the stick/paddles. The fire buttons are rather stiff (they don't even use a proper spring) and feel unresponsive, and the combination paddle/sticks are a little stiff, not to mention that the paddle pots are damn near impossible to get at for cleaning. (I still haven't figured out how to open the buggers up)

For looks, I would indeed go with the SVAII/2800, but the Heavy Sixer has it for nostalgia and picture quality.

I mostly use four-switch Atari 2600 models (I have several modified for s-video output), but nothing really beats the classic Heavy Sixer. It would be awesome to have a "modern" version of the 2600, compact and sleek, with s-video and stereo output built in. I expect this will happen someday. :)

..Al