IGNORED

Improving Video Quality w/Cuttle Cart

Great Hierophant

I have a problem. I have an Atari 2600 Jr. and a Cuttle Cart. (I used to have a Combat cartridge too, but I don't need one anymore.) My problem is that there is an annoyingly high level of video noise and artifacts in the video output. I use a Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter instead of a switchbox. My Atari is situated above my Comcast digital cable box. Short of doing a composite video mod, how can I improve the video quality?

My junior was on top of my DVD/VCR combo unit and it had these problems till I moved it to a small table (TV Dinner table) by itself, Its allright now. remember back in the 80's we didnt have a pile of electronic devices like this, just a wooden console TV and meaby a VCR, and atari didnt plan on this.

Try putting a sheet of aluminum foil between the DVD player/VCR and the Atari. It might block the interference. Also if you can't move it to another place, Radio shack does sell TV interference filters. They work rather well when I have had reason to use one.

Cheers!

Some Atari 2600 systems are more prone to interference than others. You've already taken the first step, which is to use one of the Coaxial F-Type to RCA adapters (this usually nets a huge improvement for me). You might also try replacing the RF cable that comes with the 2600 with a better shielded cable. The cable inside the 2600 plugs into the board, so you can easily change it out for another. Using a shorter cable might help also. Also, if you open up your 2600, make sure the RF shielding on the 2600 circuit board is still in place. If it's missing, you might want to use another 2600. I'm not sure actually if the Jr. has a detachable RF cable or even an RF shield, been a while since I've opened one--also not sure how the Jr. compares to other 2600 models in terms of typical RF interference.

Definitely try switching between the two available channels, sometimes you'll get a better picture on Channel 2 or Channel 3. Also, try moving your 2600 around to different locations, especially away from other electronic equipment.

..Al

You might also try replacing the RF cable that comes with the 2600 with a better shielded cable. The cable inside the 2600 plugs into the board, so you can easily change it out for another. Using a shorter cable might help also. Also, if you open up your 2600, make sure the RF shielding on the 2600 circuit board is still in place. If it's missing, you might want to use another 2600. I'm not sure actually if the Jr. has a detachable RF cable or even an RF shield, been a while since I've opened one--also not sure how the Jr. compares to other 2600 models in terms of typical RF interference.

That is going to be my next step as the current (detachable) RF cable is old, thin and long. The Jr. does have RF shielding all around the board, fastened to it by "twisty" metal tabs. It looks kinda cheap as does the Jr. motherboard.