IGNORED

Universal arcade controller for classic machines...

opcode

Hi there!

I have some good news for classic gaming fans: an (almost) universal arcade controller. I had the chance to try the prototype today and it plays really great. This project is being developed by my good friend, Jorge Braga. So far the specs are:

- 6 selectable modes: Atari 2600, Atari 7800, SG1000/SMS, MSX/X68K, ColecoVision standard and ColecoVision SuperActionController. All modes support 2 fire buttons, except for the Atari 2600 (just a button) and the CV SuperAction (4 buttons).

- 2 sets of 4 action buttons (mirrored functions). Beside, when using 2 buttons configurations (like in 7800 mode), upper and lower rows of buttons will be mirrored.

- All arcade parts.

- 2 joystick cables, allowing connection to both joystick ports (for 2P alternated play).

- 4 special buttons: 1P, 2P, coin insert and pause (work just with Opcode arcade series for the CV, including the already released SIC).

- 2 expansion ports (Atari compatible connector). Allow connection of additional controllers for extended functionality. For example, just plug in a standard CV controller to add keypad functionality.

- Special "invert" function with each expansion port, allowing two controllers to work concurrently (work just with the CV). This feature will allow future simultaneous 4P games.

Pictures to follow, as soon as we have a better looking prototype. :)

This sounds pretty damn cool, I look forward to the pictures and learning more!  Do you have a price point in mind?  What will the final case be made of (wood?  plastic?)?

..Al

Hi Al!

We are planning the final case to be MDF wood mostly, with some PVC finishing or something like that. In fact my wife is taking care of this matter. Now, price point... It needs to be bellow $50. I think we will manage to do that, considering those controllers will be made in Brazil...

We are planning the final case to be MDF wood mostly, with some PVC finishing or something like that. In fact my wife is taking care of this matter. Now, price point... It needs to be bellow $50. I think we will manage to do that, considering those controllers will be made in Brazil...

Good, MDF is pretty heavy, so that should give it a good feel. If you can sell these for under $50, I think you'll sell a ton of them. I know I'd want at least two, if they have all the features you describe and are fairly well built. :)

..Al

Good, MDF is pretty heavy, so that should give it a good feel. If you can sell these for under $50, I think you'll sell a ton of them. I know I'd want at least two, if they have all the features you describe and are fairly well built. :)

..Al

Hell yeah,Id want two, too. err...2, 2, tu, tu....?

Ill take a couple :D

I couldn't tell from your description if you have this or not, but I would love to see twin joysticks supported. The reason being that there are a few games one player gmaes that support both. The few that come to mind at the moment include Robotron, SpyHunter, Defender II, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Battlezone Deluxe, etc... not to mention the multitude of 2 player games . Perhaps this could be an option.

Juts my thoughts....

Regards,

-Lee

I couldn't tell from your description if you have this or not, but I would love to see twin joysticks supported. The reason being that there are a few games one player gmaes that support both. The few that come to mind at the moment include Robotron, SpyHunter, Defender II, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Battlezone Deluxe, etc... not to mention the multitude of 2 player games . Perhaps this could be an option.

Hi Lee!

It is a possibility, however such controller would be really bulky and heavy... but then probably it would still be lighter than two separated controller... Hmm, I liked your suggestion... :)

We can talk more about it in two weeks. I will arrive in Seattle on November 13th. :)

See you,

Eduardo

And with standalone, digital to analog circuits it will work with the Vectrex and the 5200!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

And of course it will work with the A8 and C64 too... :)

How about the TI99/4? Is its controller Atari compatible?

Eduardo

I'd love to see pictures if you have them.

-S

You will need to wait till we have a near production design... ;) But believe me, it's coming. You know, I make everything possible to delivery that I promise. 8)

Now... Mr. Braga is working on something else too. If everything goes right I think a lot of CV fans will be *really* surprised... And there are even more things cooking behind the scene... ;)