IGNORED

Requesting 2600 "message" cart for marriage propos

DJ Badger

Hi, everyone.

I'm a newbie to the forums, but I've been a fan of the AtariAge site for a loooong time. I'm 32, I work as a techy security geek by day, and I do part-time DJ work, remixing, and electronic music production after-hours.

I got my first Atari 2600 for Christmas in 1981, and over the years I've managed to put together a pretty decent Atari collection, with over 300 of the cartridges with their boxes and manuals. It's still my most cherished console.

I have an odd question, and after reading the rules of the forum I'm hoping that it's "on-topic." A few years back, a certain online homebrew creator/producer (I won't name him or his company because he eventually stirred up a lot of problems and went out of business - and this thread is NOT to dredge any of those old issues up) offered a cartridge which would basically print a message on the screen which was chosen by the customer. It was my understanding that the text would print in the middle of the screen with a rainbow of multicoloured bars above and below it.

When the joystick button was pressed, a different message would appear in the middle. It was simple enough, but very cool because it was customizable.

Well, here's the deal. A while back, I met a young lady named Lanna, who I soon found was basically the woman of my dreams. She quickly turned into the greatest girlfriend I have ever had. I'm sickly, cutesily, totally in love. She knows I'm a bit of a quirky dork, and that I dig the 2600. Incidentally, she's a gamer too, though I don't think she's played many of the 2600 games. I'm currently working on cleaning/redecorating my apartment, and whenever I finish that I'm going to have a really decent Atari setup and probably have quite a few friends over for an Atari gaming geekfest.

I want to be able to use one of the cartridges to propose marriage to my girlfriend. Yes, I know there are more traditionally romantic ways to do it, and while I'm certainly not opposed to romance, surprising her with a proposal on-screen during a videogaming romp would be totally "in-character" for me. She'd love it.

Would this be possible, and is there anyone out there who would be able to program something like that for me? It would be even cooler if it could be hidden "inside" one of the "normal" games, i.e., if someone could create a hack of Combat that would display a "Lanna, will you marry me?" message when a game was over, or something like that. Obviously, I would be willing to provide reasonable compensation for such an item, if one could be produced. However, I should point out at this time that I'm not rich! :)

Again, hopefully I'm posting within the proper guidelines here. I am really looking forward to evolving as a member of the AtariAge community... Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

- DJ Badger

If you want a Combat mod, I beleive there was a tool custom made to modify the ROM of Combat to edit playing fields. AtariAge had a contest to see who could make the best Arena mod for Combat. Maybe you can use this and have someone make you a cart? :ponder: I'm at school "working" right now so all of my files are out of reach. I'd love to help out though unless someone beats me to it and does it for you. :)

I know of two instances in the past year that this has been done, using a modified Donkey Kong binary that displays a message after you finish the first level. The binaries were modified by Paul Slocum, and I'm sure he (or someone else) would be glad to do the same again to that particular game. If you want to use another game, might take someone a little longer. I built both of the carts in these two instances. Here are some threads discussing the previous carts:

Proposal Via Atari? CONTEST OVER!

Proposal Cart Label Contest! WINNER!

I proposed via Atari and she said......

I'd be happy to produce a cartridge for you once you have a binary you can use. :)

Take care and good luck!

..Al

This is a great idea! I just seen those threads for the first time, that is definitely something that I would want to do with my gf/soon to be wife. Well DJ Badger, I'm sure she wouldn't object that, I hope Paul or another programmer will be able to edit the DK rom to say your wife-to-be's name. AA should do a run of these, this is simply awesome! I, for one, would definitely be trying to get one of these carts. Once again, I hope all goes well with you and your new wife DJ Badger, I'm sure that someone here will be able to come through for you.

Hello,

I had originally done the "rainbow cart". It was called "2600-Post-It-Note" (1 message w/ up to 990 chars), or "Alphanumeric Madness" (2 messages, 500 chars each, switch on Fire button") depending on your choice. You could choose the scroll speed (0=slow, 255= real fast), and the color of the text (1-255 in the Atari pallete).

I can still make a customizable bin for you if you wish, but I'd need to dig through some old tools to be able to do it. Might take me a few days.

Send me a Private Message with the details if you're interested.

Regards,

-John

Hi, everyone.

I want to give a huge "thank you" to everyone who has posted (or sent privately) replies so far. The Donkey Kong idea actually looks intensely cool, though I would have to feel a LITTLE guilty for horking someone else's DK idea. I know very very very little about 2600 programming... would it be really simple to modify it into a working BIN with the name "Lanna," and would you be willing to do that for me?

Propane13, glad to find the original creator of the 2600-Post-It-Note. While the Post-It-Note was the original thing I was hoping to use for the proposal, I'm thinking that inserting it as a "surprise" into a game like Donkey Kong is probably going to be a better idea. Thank you so much for responding, though... and I will keep the offer in mind if I need something special in the future!

Albert, thanks for the offer to produce the cartridge. In this case, I would probably only want the ROM board, so that I could install it into an original white Coleco Donkey Kong cartridge, if possible. Or, if you have a spare DK cart that you could install it into, I would gladly pay for the whole shebang. I just want it to look like a normal, old, innocent DK cart that I can include with others for a big 2600 gaming bash. If I obtain anything from you - ROM, cart, whatever, I want to pay something for it. The same goes for the programming work (to Paul or whomever can do this). I can't pay much, but I want to at least pay something to compensate for everyone's time and trouble.

Also, while I don't think she would remember an article about the Donkey Kong proposal from back in April, Lanna does read Slashdot on a regular basis, so please, nobody post any new articles there about it this time around! :D Although I'm sure the answer is going to be "yes," it'll probably still be a while before I do the actual proposal... I still have to buy the ring. Plus, I need to get a lot more local "friends" beforehand, because dang it, I'm (hopefully) only getting engaged once and I'm going to rack up on the gifts while I can! :D HA!

Again, I am ultragrateful for all the help... I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks!

Badger 8)[/i]

Another possibility is to create a GreetingCart using an image of your choice. Put it in a cart with, say, a DK label and then when she plugs it in, there's a picture of you saying "will you marry me?"

I'dl be happy to create a binary for you if you wanted to go this route.

Cheers

A

Another possibility is to create a GreetingCart using an image of your choice.  Put it in a cart with, say, a DK label and then when she plugs it in, there's a picture of you saying "will you marry me?"

I'dl be happy to create a binary for you if you wanted to go this route.

Cheers

A

Wow, Andrew. Thanks! I looked up some of the GreetingCart pictures that were posted on the forums in the past and I was really impressed with the work. Ultracool.

However, for the proposal, I'm leaning more and more towards the Donkey Kong idea. The heart made out of girders is just phenomenally cute, and she'll really go nuts for it.

So many choices, though... Andrew, if possible, I might still consider sending a good picture of us for you to boil down (with plenty of compensation, of course) for a 2600 BIN after the proposition, then buy a good-sized batch of copies to send out to people as invitations to the engagement party (with customized labels with all the necessary text for our guests).

The generosity and willingness to help a complete newcomer to the forum is amazing here... You all have no idea how much I appreciate it. Thank you very much for all the responses!

Badger

Okay, I've decided to go ahead with the Donkey Kong idea, if possible. I'm going to send Paul Slocum a PM about the issue and see if he can fix me up with the BIN.

Al, once he (or someone else) has the BIN ready, will it be possible to get a ROM that I can just fit into an existing white Coleco Donkey Kong cart? Or, do you have any spare DK carts (in really good shape; she knows I'm a collector, but I don't think ) that you could use to send me a pre-made proposal cartridge? Either way, please send me a PM and let me know what the price would be.

I've decided that I'd really like to be able to propose within a month or so (yes, I'm officially insane), so I would like to be able to get that party done as quickly as I can.

After the proposal, we'll plan an engagement party, and Andrew, if you can still hook me up with a custom GreetingCart ROM, I will likely use that to send out the engagement party invitations. (We'll probably get a good pic taken together at that point for you to boil down for the picture file.) Please PM me to let me know in advance how much that would be, if you can.

Albert, if possible, I would really like to be able to purchase some ready-made carts from you at that point, possibly in red carts with custom labels (10-20 copies or so). Of course, I would reimburse you properly for the materials and labour; you do great work on the AtariAge carts, so I know I wouldn't be disappointed. We can discuss those arrangements in private as well, and if this is not possible due to any sort of time or material limitations, just let me know and I won't be offended in the least. I just think it would be a really fun idea.

Everyone here has been SO cool about this entire situation; thanks again for everything!!!

Badger 8)

Al, once he (or someone else) has the BIN ready, will it be possible to get a ROM that I can just fit into an existing white Coleco Donkey Kong cart?  Or, do you have any spare DK carts (in really good shape; she knows I'm a collector, but I don't think ) that you could use to send me a pre-made proposal cartridge?  Either way, please send me a PM and let me know what the price would be.

I have to check the inside of a Coleco cart, it will definitely require some hacking (either to the cartridge, PCB, or both) and it may not be possible at all depending on the internal configuration of the cartridge.

Albert, if possible, I would really like to be able to purchase some ready-made carts from you at that point, possibly in red carts with custom labels (10-20 copies or so).  Of course, I would reimburse you properly for the materials and labour; you do great work on the AtariAge carts, so I know I wouldn't be disappointed.  We can discuss those arrangements in private as well, and if this is not possible due to any sort of time or material limitations, just let me know and I won't be offended in the least.  I just think it would be a really fun idea.

Yes, I'd be glad to help you with that, sounds like a great idea. I wonder how many of the recipients will have an Atari 2600 to test the cartridge out on. I also wonder how many will even know what it is. ;)

..Al

Al, once he (or someone else) has the BIN ready, will it be possible to get a ROM that I can just fit into an existing white Coleco Donkey Kong cart?  Or, do you have any spare DK carts (in really good shape; she knows I'm a collector, but I don't think ) that you could use to send me a pre-made proposal cartridge?  Either way, please send me a PM and let me know what the price would be.

I have to check the inside of a Coleco cart, it will definitely require some hacking (either to the cartridge, PCB, or both) and it may not be possible at all depending on the internal configuration of the cartridge.

No problem, Albert... Please don't go to too much trouble. I can use one of the red-label Atari versions as well (I have both versions with boxes/docs), though I would prefer the Coleco. Either way would be cool, trust me. Honestly, Lanna doesn't know the difference - she's an awesome geek but knows very little about the 2600. The Coleco preference was more of a personal/historical thing since it was the more "old-school" of the two.

Albert, if possible, I would really like to be able to purchase some ready-made carts from you at that point, possibly in red carts with custom labels (10-20 copies or so).  Of course, I would reimburse you properly for the materials and labour; you do great work on the AtariAge carts, so I know I wouldn't be disappointed.  We can discuss those arrangements in private as well, and if this is not possible due to any sort of time or material limitations, just let me know and I won't be offended in the least.  I just think it would be a really fun idea.

Yes, I'd be glad to help you with that, sounds like a great idea. I wonder how many of the recipients will have an Atari 2600 to test the cartridge out on. I also wonder how many will even know what it is. ;)

..Al

Well, we have very geeky (and I mean that in a positive way) friends, a few of which would be able to actually plug in the cart and see the picture. For those who didn't know what it was, I could explain it to them, and the newfound symbolism behind it.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I might prefer to have the "invitation" carts done in black cartridges. They would look more "classic" that way. I know I'd want the black end labels with the standard red text reading "BADGER AND LANNA," but I'm not sure what I would want the top label to look like yet. Those are all bridges that we can 'splode when we come to them.

This is going to be amazing. Thanks again!

Badger 8)

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Well, in case anyone was wondering, I asked Lanna to marry me, and she said yes!

However, I feel really badly, because I actually asked her back on December 5th, and things have been amazingly busy and I just hadn't gotten around to reporting it until now.

If you want a long, drawn-out description of what happened, feel free to check out my latest journal entry at http://www.djbadger.com/badgerjournal033.htm. There's also a capture of the Donkey Kong "will you marry me lanna?" screen there.

I have to give massive "props" to Paul Slocum for doing his magic with the Donkey Kong programming, and to Al at AtariAge for putting it on a cart and sending it out. Amazing work, gentlemen... and extremely fast as well. Everything was done in plenty of time for the actual proposal.

(By the way, Paul and Al, I have mentioned you both, as well as your websites, in the journal entry. If you'd like for me to take out the acknowledgements for any reason, please let me know, but I did so on the presumption that it wouldn't be a problem.)

So, thanks very much to Paul, Al, and everyone else who offered assistance and/or support for this life-changing event.

Merry Christmas (or your respective arbitrary December holidays of choice) to everyone!

Badger 8)

If you want a long, drawn-out description of what happened, feel free to check out my latest journal entry athttp://www.djbadger.com/badgerjournal033.htm.

Um... The forum program added the period at the end of that sentence, so the link wouldn't work correctly. The working link is:

http://www.djbadger.com/badgerjournal033.htm

Thanks again to everyone!

Badger 8)

Thats right folks! Proposal via atari Donkey Kong has worked for yet another young man!

Congrats man. Having been there (almost exactly :) ) I know how it feels. I've been married for almost 2 months now and have to say it was worth it.

Maybe someone can make a business out of this proposal cart thing?

-Tim :)

• 1 year later...

P.S. If only there were a "I proposed via Donkey Kong" patch. We could start a club! :lolblue:

"Then, to nobody's surprise (because I rock so hard), Lanna said "Yeah," and it was official."

LOL!!

Anyway, recently ran across the Donkey Kong image with the proposal and thought that was really cool.

I have wondered though, what would happen if the girl didn't get past the first level, and gave up on the game? :)

This has me curious. is there a rom eidtor where I can change the working to say "I love you" to my wife in that Donkey Kong image? Would love to show her, but would be fun if that were modified.

P.S. If only there were a "I proposed via Donkey Kong" patch. We could start a club! :lolblue:

"Then, to nobody's surprise (because I rock so hard), Lanna said "Yeah," and it was official."

LOL!!

Anyway, recently ran across the Donkey Kong image with the proposal and thought that was really cool.

I have wondered though, what would happen if the girl didn't get past the first level, and gave up on the game? :)

This has me curious. is there a rom eidtor where I can change the working to say "I love you" to my wife in that Donkey Kong image? Would love to show her, but would be fun if that were modified.

The best bet would probably to use the Hack-o-matic, however I decided to give that a whirl and I can't find the message to change it for the life of me. Any help for this?

Edited by keilbaca