IGNORED

Atari Flashback

Isn't this the same forum where everyone was hot to boycott Infogrames (Atari) a few weeks ago  :?

You won't find any posts about me wanting to boycott Atari/ Infogrames. I think the Flashback is pretty keen, but mostly because of insider hints saying that if it does well it will be the first of many classic consoles.

-S

Isn't this the same forum where everyone was hot to boycott Infogrames (Atari) a few weeks ago  :?

Can someone explain to me exactly why a great many people are so agitated by the Infogrames/Atari merger? :?

What merger? Infogrames bought the rights to all the stuff, then changed their name.

Anyways, people are annoyed because Infogrames/Atari cracked down on reproduction and homebrew carts that they felt infringed upon their copyrights.

Mainly the homebrews.

Apparantly because Infogrames isn't the original Atari the thinking seems to be that they don't really own the rights to the games. Okay, that's a bit like someone telling me that I don't really own my car because I'm not the original owner.

-S

If I was rich like Infogrames, I would buy the retired SPAM namebrand and sell mock hot dog meat and call it LE SPAM. Hopefully this would anger the original SPAM fans.

Hopefully the Flashback unit has something cool about it to surprize us all!!

Not everyone was (is) boycotting Atari, although as much as was said by a few people may have made it look that way.

I'm wanting to see this unit in action but am a little put off by the $50 price tag it is toting. I was hoping for something under $40...

Apparantly because Infogrames isn't the original Atari the thinking seems to be that they don't really own the rights to the games. Okay, that's a bit like someone telling me that I don't really own my car because I'm not the original owner.
And because the latest offerings don't precisely mirror those of the "good, old" Atari.

My take: Nolan Bushnell's Atari ceased to exist long, long ago. The manufacturer of your favorite childhood toy is a soulless multinational corporation who has financial responsibilities to its shareholders first, and your enjoyment a distant second. This is true of Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Activision, Electronic Arts, Atari, and just about any company worth mentioning. None of them is going to re-introduce their old stuff in exactly the same form, either.

I think the Flashback is a neat bridge between the old and the new, and don't mind the price relative to the Jakks-type toys. I don't believe a boycott will be effective or noticed since the new Atari also publishes new games like Unreal, Test Drive, and The Matrix.

Call me a sucker, but I like the new Atari! Vive la difference!

And because the latest offerings don't precisely mirror those of the "good, old" Atari.

My take: Nolan Bushnell's Atari ceased to exist long, long ago. The manufacturer of your favorite childhood toy is a soulless multinational corporation who has financial responsibilities to its shareholders first, and your enjoyment a distant second. This is true of Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Activision, Electronic Arts, Atari, and just about any company worth mentioning. None of them is going to re-introduce their old stuff in exactly the same form, either.

Indeed. Going back to my car analogy for a minute. The manufacturer of my favorite car the Mini is long dead. A "soulless multinational corporation", BMW bought the rights and now make a car they call a Mini. No it isn't the same car, but that doesn't stop me from thinking it's pretty neat anyway.

-S

There are cultists that feel exactly the same way about the new Mini, as well as the New Beetle (water cooled? pshaw!) and probably the new Mustang, too. They're welcome to stay with the old cars they love -- just as the Atari faithful can hang on to their old equipment and cherish it.

If the choices are

A. To see Atari (MINI, Beetle, whatever) fade into obscurity, never to be seen again;

or

B. To see a fresh take on the old ideas, repackaged for a new generation or for nostalgic oldsters

I will take B every time. There's no reason to hate the new versions just because you prefer the old ones.