IGNORED

6 Switch UK Model - Output Problems

This Furious Man

Hi Guys,

Purchased a 6-switch PAL 2600 a year or so ago, and decided to rekindle my relationship with "woody" over the weekend. All started well until I took my Space Invaders cart out and inserted Missile Command. The incoming missiles fragmented until the game became unplayable. Reinserting Space Invaders, it became apparent that only 4x columns were being displayed and the ship's movement had become jerky and uncontrollable.

I thought that this may have been due to a poor contact between the cart and the mother board, but repeated insertion of the cart has not alleviated the problem. The console's also been stored in a garage for the best part of twelve months.

So, with all this in mind, would anyone like to make an informed guess as to what the problem may be? All thoughts, views and observations appreciated.

All the best,

This Furious Man :?

If it's been stored in your garage, then oxidation of the contacts could be to blame, either on the machine, the carts or both.

If you clean the cart contacts with ethanol, and they still don't work, try the same with the cart slot on the machine. You'll have to open it up to do this properly, but it often works well.

If you took the machine inside, and tried it immediately, there may just be a little condensation on the contacts. Leaving the machine and carts in a warm room for 6 hours or so might be enough - but it's always worth cleaning up anyway.

If you can't get hold of 70% ethanol, vodka can work too...

If the fault is consistent across two carts it's unlikely to be simply dirt - it's more likely to be a fault in the TIA I'd imagine (dirty contacts tend to give unpredictable results).

Clean the contacts, try with a different cart again.. if that doesn't help open up the machine and make sure all the chips are seated correctly (they should be in holders in a 6 switcher I think).

If that still doesn't work you're probably scuppered.... I have some spare 6-switch Woodies if you're interested, but I like to modify them (composite video) and sell them that way really.