IGNORED

How many joysticks do you own?

SteveW

When I go to thrift stores and find Atari compatible joysticks, I can't help buying 'em. I've got a lot of joysticks of all shapes and sizes. I've probably got a couple dozen joysticks, some of which work, some of which don't.

I want to know if i'm the only one with too many controllers. Anyone?

yeah, I have a whole drawer full, and I only use maybe two of them tops. I have a pair of those ridiculous cordless sticks that have never been used, because they suck, and I've got a mess of half working ones as well. I've tried to liquidate them as much as I can, but everyone seems to have plenty of sticks.

I have a lot more joysticks than I need, that's for sure. I wish I could trade some for a few sets of jitter-free paddles. Most of the joysticks work fairly well, but there are a few clunkers. I'd say I have about 8-10 CX40's, plus an assortment of oddities that have accumulated over time. None of them is really any good. Give me a CX40 any day!

I think perhaps the weirdest controller-related part of my collection is that I own two sets of Atari 2600 keyboard controllers, and I have the boxes for both of them, too! (One of the sets, acquired on eBay, even came with the Basic Programming overlays stuck on the controllers.)

If I find a CX40 I'll probably pick it up, but I don't tend to go out for the third parties -- unless it's one I particularly like. I have about 10 CX40s about, and several sets of paddles (all de-jittered) and a few driving controllers 'n stuff. It's pretty well more than I need, but I like having backups.

one of the great things about 2600 collecting is the explosion of products that came out in the early 80s, no other system comes close on the hardware front. i couldnt easily count all of mine but its prolly in the 30s

some faves-

the tron joystick, an obvious choice

the champ version of the tron stick, all black, no messy cords ;)

the amiga mini powerstick, one handed gaming action

the faster blaster, a flat surfaced little box with no stick, buttons only, gotta be the worst and cheapest feeling controller of them all, thus its wicked cool

the milton bradley flight commander gun, packed with spitfire run

then you gotta get all the wico variations, the quick shot, those gemni ones, the commie ones, the newport ones...and on and on it goes.

I haven't dug through my closet for awhile, but I've probably got 15-20 CX-40s, 10 sets of paddles, and a 20 or so 3rd party sticks. I can't resist picking them up either if I see them cheap. I like to try them out and see which games, if any, they're best suited for. Plus, they look cool on a shelf. If nothing else, they become parts donors to keep my favorite joysticks going.

I went though a box of broken joysticks and harvested the useful parts. For a Vectrex project I took two Atari joystick cables and made a link cable! There is talk about using a link cable for two Atari consoles too!

BTW: The link cable and the demo game that use the Vectrex Link are written by Alex Herbert (Man Goes Down).

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Ive got around 100+ joysticks but a majority are missing the stick cover..anyone know where you can pick up just the cover

The only place I can think of is Best Electronics.

I'm not sure how many joysticks I actually have. I have a few large boxes full of them in my attic and several shelves littered with them in my computer room. I'd guess a few hundred.

I have about 5 or 6 joysticks (if you were at VGS'04 then you saw two of what Ihave )

about 4 wico joysticks ,I think have 2 normal joysticks(not the standard 2600 ones but Ithink was made by company called BP or something close to it)

now if you asked about keybord controllers then I have about 4 or 5 sets

of it. before the crash atari sent me them for nothing(I originally sent mine to get repaired and it came out that I kept getting replacements for it)

I have to have well over 100. I mean, not counting handheld systems, I own over 30 systems that take controllers. And it's safe to say I have an average of 3 for each of those systems... Then there is the box of "spares" that probably puts me scary close to 200.

Just for the 2600 counting all the "special" controllers I have:

2 keypads

3 star raiders

1 track and field

6 pairs of paddles

4 driving

1 kids

2 slick sticks

1 white atari joystick

1 light gun

1 trackball

1 amiga joyboard

>20 regular style sticks witht the rubber top and orange button

>30 other 2rd party joysticks I never even tried to use b/c they were so poorly designed.

I could obviously go on forever... So, way too damn many man.

Probably a dozen, none of which I actually use. I have a home made joystick that I built one night after finally getting sick of the inevitable pain that goes along with using the standard sticks. I haven't used a regular Atari joystick since.

-S