IGNORED

The Cuttle Cart's Limitations

Great Hierophant

There are somethings that a Cuttle Cart simply cannot do. It cannot play Pitfall II or the UA Limited Prototypes Funky Fish and Pleiades. It has trouble with the Atari 32-in-1 cart due to the way it loads games. (The cart should load a new game each time the system is turned on thanks to a register in the cart that increments in 2k with each toggle of the off/on switch.) On the Cuttle Cart it will always load the first game. Its also a major pain to wait 1 minute for the rom to lod each time. It won't be able to play the Homestar Runner RPG should it ever be released. Some huge demos may be beyond its reach. What else can't it do?

I don't understand such negativity about the Cuttle Cart. It was developed before the UA games were found. From the start, Chad decided not to include support for Pitfall II because of several factors, costs, copywrite issues, size and additional design work to accomodate the the sound chip. I am certain that some one could hack the UA games and modify the banking technique (Thomas :wink: ).

I think you are approaching this from the wrong angle. Maybe you should focus on what it can do and contrast it against the things is can't do to make a comparison. The things it can't do are minimal compared to what it can do.

I guess you would really dislike the Supercharger for the same reasons. Maybe they should have put more ram in it. Maybe they should have anticpated the release of tools to make all roms play on on it, including bankswitch games. It would also need to support Pitfall II inorder to work. Maybe they should have put an expansion port in it so that it could accomodate a piggyback processor to eventually play MAME and emulate the XBOX!!!

Seriously tho..

The Cuttle Cart and its successor are wonderful pieces of hardware. Take them for what they are... if not, I encourage folks to develop something better on their own. Personally, Chad has made some fantastic hardware (Cuttle Cart, Cuttle Cart 2, Intellicart). This hardware that has more capability and power than the machines they run.

Just my 2 cents....

I could be wrong.. maybe the Cuttle Cart is a piece of shit and I'm too stupid to realize this. Maybe Chad is a dumbass and knows nothing about what he is doing :wink:

-Lee

There are somethings that a Cuttle Cart simply cannot do.  It cannot play Pitfall II or the UA Limited Prototypes Funky Fish and Pleiades.

Show me any other cart that can play Pitfall II, thanks to its special chip. It's not like Pitfall II is all that rare anyhow. Even if it is technically possible for the CC2 to emulate the PF2 chip (it may or may not have enough gates), it's not worth the effort for just one game.

As for the UA games, that kind of bank switching is supported by the CC2. I have a CC2ROMDB file with both of those games listed in it, using UA bank switching.

And I'm sure that whatever HSRRPG ends up using, Chad will come up with a bank switching for it, just like he did for the Fractalus proto. That's the whole point of a field-programmable gate array, after all.