IGNORED

atari 2600 "resolution"

ma3a_operat0r

hey everybody...i know this is an open-ended (and kinda dumb) question, but i was wondering what resolution the 2600 was capable of. i know there's no fixed resolution (due to the nature of the TIA), but i was wondering what's the maximum, and what's typically used in a game (i.e. earlier games only drew on every second scanline).

i'm guessing the maximum vertical resolution is 192, but what's the horizontal?

-duncan

Hi there!

thanks for that, manuel :). i got the 192 because that's the number of visible scanlines on an NTSC TV, if i'm not mistaken.

AFAIK a modern NTSC TV can safely display up to 200 lines, maybe even more. 192 is just the recommended value from Ataris original programming documentation which was written 20+ years ago. Also you can do twice as many lines wih the VCS, using the recently discovered interlace technique.

Greetings,

Manuel

Well, the vertical maximum depends on the # of lines your TV can sync.

To be correct, it depends on the # of lines your TV can display. This is varying depending on the TV modell and even the settings of the same modell. Something around 200 should work almost everywhere.

The total number of lines (displayed + non-displayed) is critical for sync and should be around 262 for NTSC.

What about the afformentioned interlace technique? Doesn't that change the 160 to a much higher number?

Yes, that would be roughly 400 or so visible scanlines.

Interlaced video was designed to look okay with organic footate-- live action, and since modern videogames are a lot closer to live action than a 2600 game, it looks okay.

Older systems, since the graphics they displayed were blocky and higher contrast, wouldn't look good in interlace.

If you try to draw a white line on only one field over a black background then it's just going to look like 30hz flicker, which is all-too-familiar to 2600 gamers, but worse since it would be happening on the entire playfield. Animation at 60fps would yield comb effects or strobing effects in interlace.

It's pretty hard to come up with a practical application for it. You could draw sprites that had wide but very very short pixels. Not sure what kinds of games would benefit from that.

Hi there!

Also you can do twice as many lines wih the VCS, using the recently discovered interlace technique.
Interlacing is not a recent discovery.

Uihjah... so which VCS game/demo older than Glenns or Billys recent experiments make the VCS display an interlaced screen? I really thought they where the first doing that.

Greetings,

Manuel

It's pretty hard to come up with a practical application for it.   You could draw sprites that had wide but very very short pixels.  Not sure what kinds of games would benefit from that.

how about a starfield? Stars are supposed to flicker... ummm, prob the

best application would be for use in a title screen. Imagine if they had

come up with interlacing onthe 2600 way back when.. I can imagine

strip poker games and stuff like that

Uihjah... so which VCS game/demo older than Glenns or Billys recent experiments make the VCS display an interlaced screen? I really thought they where the first doing that.

I can't site an example, but I know that the guys at Atari were knowledgable in the inner workings of TV sets, and they had to have known that the 2600 was capable of interlaced video.

The Commodore Amiga, created in the early 1980's by the original designer of the 2600, had an interlaced video mode.

Not a recent discovery.

I can't site an example, but I know that the guys at Atari were knowledgable in the inner workings of TV sets,...

Sure, that was never questioned.

...and they had to have known that the 2600 was capable of interlaced video.

What makes you so sure about this? Do you have found any hints about the existance of such a knowledge? Don't forget, the 2600 hardware was never meant to do interlaced graphics.

Many tricks about Atari programming (e.g. the 48 pixel routine) where discovered or developed many years after the inititial release of the 2600. And I am sure, there are still some tricks waiting to be discovered.

Hi there!

The Commodore Amiga, created in the early 1980's by the original designer of the 2600, had an interlaced video mode.

Not a recent discovery.

I don't get it. Yeah, interlacing was a built-in mode in the Amigas HAM modes, but what does this have to do with the 2600? Actually The first EMI developed televisions from 1935 already used interlacing!

Here, type in a query for "interlaced" here: http://www.atariage.com/news/ and you'll see that the VCS interlacing technique was just discovered two years ago. I highly doubt that you find any earlier reference for that...

Greetings,

Manuel

I´m pretty sure they knew it could display interlaced graphics, why else would they have implemented the RSYNC Register into the TIA? Note: i speak about the hardware designers, not the software writers. They probably didn´t saw any use in using interlaced graphics back then, when display kernals consisted of 2 lines per update.

Older systems, since the graphics they displayed were blocky and higher contrast, wouldn't look good in interlace.

Actually, the Bally Astrocade/Professional Arcade generated a line-doubled interlaced display. Yielded very solid-looking graphics, at the price of slight interlace shear on horizontally-moving objects.

As for Vigo, I'll yield his smackdown to an experienced 2600 programmer.