IGNORED

Yet another Landfill Story??

MosDN

Found this while browsing some old mags:

"An Alamorgordo, N.M. city landfill was recently graced with some of the most expensive refuse in history: fourteen truckloads of brand-new Atari game cartridges and hardware. The games came from Atari's El Paso plant, which has ceased the manufacture of videogames. Guards kept spectators out of viewing range as trucks buried the equipment in cement.

(........)

Atari say that, contrary to press accounts, the cartridges were defective, unsaleble, unusable. We'd prefer to believe that. Any other explanation gets us down in the dump."

X marks the treasure, start digging!!!

:D

There is the real possibility that the story is 100% factual. If Atari was looking to write off carts and equipment that people were not buying, it would be cheaper for them to destroy them than let them take up valuable warehouse space - costing them money the longer they remain unsold. That's writing it off the inventory books and taking a loss for it...and it MUST be rendered unusable, unsellable, unsalvageable for the auditors to allow it (I saw this happen many times working in warehouses).

The worse problem was the value of their stock...which was plummeting due to public disinterest in consoles (across the board...everyone in the biz was being affected whether or not they had ties to Atari). Trashing out product that isn't selling is the quickest way to write it off the bottom line and perk up the stock value.

Spectators? For something that allegedly happened in the middle of the night? Do people hang around landfills to watch people dump shit that nobody wants (and nobody did in 1983, because they produced to extreme excess and you could still find ET if you wanted it) at any time of day, anyway?

And can someone just make a perma-sticky about this great debate and the various theories? It is an R-1 question, after all . . .

Personally, I believe HSW's right and it didn't happen quite like this. . . But if it was a public facility, one could easily just call the city of Alamogordo and ask them. . .

Spectators?  For something that allegedly happened in the middle of the night?  Do people hang around landfills to watch people dump shit that nobody wants (and nobody did in 1983, because they produced to extreme excess and you could still find ET if you wanted it) at any time of day, anyway?

I do it all the time. I love the smell of landfills and the site of unending rows of dirty diapers picked at by sea gulls. Doesn't everyone :?

Spectators?  For something that allegedly happened in the middle of the night?  Do people hang around landfills to watch people dump shit that nobody wants (and nobody did in 1983, because they produced to extreme excess and you could still find ET if you wanted it) at any time of day, anyway?

I do it all the time. I love the smell of landfills and the site of unending rows of dirty diapers picked at by sea gulls. Doesn't everyone :?

Only on first dates. Nothing like shooting rats at the dump to test whether someone is really into you or not. . .

Atari 2600

Casio Keyboard

Canon BJC-610 Printer

Coffee Table

Corner Table

2 Bookcases

4 Chairs

3 "How-To" home repair books

2 Lamps

2 TV's

2 Stereo's

Thats just some of the "working" stuff I've found dumpster diving over the years.

The are similar stories from the toy industry.

One toy company licensed Flubber from Disney, back in the 50's, and made a product to compete with Silly Putty. The product had a major flaw: it was oily and left stains on carpets and walls.

So they buried it in a hole under the toy company's new parking lot.

And, so the story goes, the rubber material expanded as it broke down over the years, and a bump formed in the parking lot.

Whether or not the story has a grain of truth, it is utterly destroyed by the embellishement of "buried under tonnes of concrete".

There is absolutely no way that Atari, if it were cutting its losses by dumping a batch of carts, would pay to have the lot covered in concrete.

There is no way that the owner of a land-fill would allow concrete to be poured over a fresh fill, as the whole point of a land-fill is that you can scoop things around, compact them down and rearrange as things start to break down.

This story fills many of the criteria from snopes.com for an urban myth - unnecessary embellishment, specific timing, many different versions of the same story...

If atari wanted to destroy stock, they'd have crushed it, not buried it in concrete.

Whether or not the story has a grain of truth, it is utterly destroyed by the embellishement of "buried under tonnes of concrete".

There is absolutely no way that Atari, if it were cutting its losses by dumping a batch of carts, would pay to have the lot covered in concrete.

There is no way that the owner of a land-fill would allow concrete to be poured over a fresh fill, as the whole point of a land-fill is that you can scoop things around, compact them down and rearrange as things start to break down.

This story fills many of the criteria from snopes.com for an urban myth - unnecessary embellishment, specific timing, many different versions of the same story...

If atari wanted to destroy stock, they'd have crushed it, not buried it in concrete.

A valid point...but the decision would have rested with the auditors whether or not to take Atari at their word that the product written off would be kept out of the public's hands (and Atari's management wasn't exactly very popular among investors at the time). IIRC according to the old EG column, the landfill was due to be covered over anyway (wasn't it supposed to become a skate park? Whatever happened to that part of the story?).

If you want a true account of what happened read this:

http://worldzone.net/computers/atari2600duds/ET.shtml

An exerpt:

Atari decided the E.T. cartridges had to be hidden away forever. Atari also had no great love for the programmer Howard Scott Warshaw & animator Jerome Domurat and even a greater dislike for the alien only known as E.T.. Atari hired a contracter with possible mafioso ties to make certain cartridges and individuals dissappear. "These cartridges were secretly buried in a landfill at Alamogordo New Mexico (along with a few million unsold Pac-Man carts), which were then crushed with a steam roller, covered in cement, and consequently forgotten about" (AtariProtos.com).

Let's put it this way. The only place the ET story was reported was, as far as I can tell from doing numerous internet searches, was in the NY Times. In another thread I even attached an image of the story.

Until we can find coroborrating (damn. used that word twice today!) evidence from another source, I would chalk the story up to the category "Most Likely Fiction"

It's not as if it's a story Atari would issue a press release about.

"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Atari would like to admit to its shareholders, employees and loyal customers that we fucked up royally with that awful E.T. game. How could we not, given that we sometimes make bad games in ten times the development time. Nobody wants the damn things, so we're going to bury them instead of flooding the market with them, which would reduce the prices of our existing retail stock by say, oh...at least 70%. Thank you."

What else would they do with them? Just having them around would make people be afraid that they'd be released at a crazy bargain price. Can you burn them? Sell them to Mexico?

I think it's true :|

Until we can find coroborrating (damn.  used that word twice today!) evidence from another source, I would chalk the story up to the category "Most Likely Fiction"

How about Videogaming & Computergaming Illustrated Dec. 1983 page 9-10.

Not exactly NY Times but still ...