IGNORED

Im probably gettinga 2600 thursday.

sega saturn x

Since its vets day i have thursday off i was going to go to the mall and but an atari 2600 they have its in fantastic shape. I was just wondering what are some very basic common and good games for the thing? I can pick out 10 game sof my choosing when i buy it so im curiose. Also i was thinking about getting the following games how are they?

asteroids

missle command

atlantis (maybe)

combat

so how are they?

You can still buy Atari 2600 stuff at malls ?!!?

My mall's two game stores stopped selling 8-bit NES and Sega Genesis games... They also seem to be dumping there SNES and DreamCast lot quick like they are a hot steaming dog pile log that smells like you dropped it after a few beers ! :o

I can pick out 10 game sof my choosing when i buy it so im curiose.  Also i was thinking about getting the following games how are they?

asteroids

missle command

atlantis (maybe)

combat

so how are they?

I'm glad to hear that you've chosen to try out the 2600! Here are my recommendations. Keep in mind that I'm just throwing things out of the top of my head and I'm still just waking up:

- Asteroids and Missile Command are both solid, standard hits with great playability. Excellent choices.

- Atlantis is a respectable game, in my opinion. Good graphics and decent gameplay. Not a bad choice. Cosmic Ark is the "sequel" to Atlantis, but the two games are completely different. Incidentally, I think Cosmic Ark is a much better game.

- Don't blow one of your 10 free games on Combat. It's incredibly common and you can probably find it for dirt cheap at a flea market or thrift store. It is a fun game nonetheless, but it's only for two players.

- If they have Adventure, by all means get it.

- Same applies for Pitfall! or (even more so) Pitfall! II: Lost Caverns.

- Yar's Revenge is somewhat of a fan favourite, and I have fond memories of it. Good game.

- If they happen to have Dragonfire, snag it. Same goes for H.E.R.O., though that's not as likely.

- I agree with MattG that Frogger is great. For other old-fashioned arcade "standards" you might try getting Space Invaders (it gets monotonous, but it's a definitive old-school classic), Dig Dug, Mario Bros., Moon Patrol, Defender, Galaxian, Phoenix, Battlezone, Jungle Hunt, and Ms. Pac-Man. Honourable mentions to Berzerk and Vanguard, which I personally always thought was awesome.

- Donkey Kong was a pretty atrocious arcade "translation," but if you're looking for old-school games, it's worth getting. (However, it's another super-cheap-and-easy-to-find game.)

- I would avoid the original Pac-Man, which blows. Plus, it's ultra-common and you should be able to find it almost as dirt-cheap as Combat.

- If you come upon Swordquest Earthworld or Fireworld, skip them. The Swordquest games had lots of hype, but sucked hard when it came to gameplay. If they have Swordquest Waterworld, get it as one of your 10 and send it to me; I'll give you $20 for it. ;) Or, you can stick it on eBay and get a LOT for it. But, again, as far as games go, Swordquest games were pretty crappy. Nice label art, though.

- Almost all of the Star Wars-related games rocked. I didn't really like Jedi Arena much, though... plus, it requires paddles, which brings us to...

- I don't know if the Atari you're looking at comes with paddles, but keep that in mind if you're choosing games. It would suck to get a bunch of games home then realize they required paddle controllers.

- Gopher by US Games rules. It rules.

Whatever you end up getting, I hope you enjoy it! I commend you for giving such a wonderful old-school gaming system a chance - excellent choice. Take care.

Badger 8)

Lets see, ten games. I'm assuming you're not going to find anything but commonish games

Adventure

Yars Revenge

Pitfall

Keystone Kapers

Missle Command

Frogger

Space Invaders

Ms. Pac Man

Warlords (if it comes with paddles)

Chopper Command

Those are likely the ten I'd get, as always, your milage may vary.

-S

Wow your replys have been super helpfull but the funding fell through (halo 2) so i will be getting 1 just not right now sadly. Some one said cosmin arc is good they have it there should i get it? Also they have a track ball for 5$ should i snag that to? Btw this is a used game store this isint like E.b or game stop just claify that.