IGNORED

game consule value

peg

What does a 2600 go for as a collectors :?  item, if it has paddles and joysticks?

The 2600 is so extremely common that it has very little value as a collector's item. Assuming the unit works and has all its original components including power supply, $20 max.

However, if it's one of the original production run (a Sunnyvale heavy six-switch console) it's may be worth a little more to the right buyer.

It really depends on what you are refering when you say "worth." If what you mean to say is, "how much would a typical person from this message board pay for a complete Atari?", then $20 may be a reasonable, albiet subjective, figure. If, however, you are refering to the broader market price, as in, "how much could I reasonabely expect to sell my Atari for?", then the average sale price of similar units sold on eBay would probably the most objective answer.

Based on my experience, there are large variations in the sale prices of Atari 2600's. The factors that seem to matter most, in terms of price, are presence of original packaging (particularly the outer box), the version/model of the Atari and its peripherals (1977 unit > Atari Jr.), and finally overall condition. There are also two other factors, photo quality and promise of functionality, which make a big difference on eBay, but do not really say much in terms of the relative value of the Atari.

Thus, a mint boxed 1977 Atari that is 100% complete and original may bring several hundred dollars, while the same console with no box, later joysticks, and in lesser overall condition would likely seller for less than $50. Likewise, an Atari Jr., which is generally less desirable than a heavy sixeer, may sell for $50 in new condition and as little as $5-$10 used. I think its reasonable to expect that this price gap will only widen as video games are collected more widely and collectors inevitably become more sophisticated in terms of grading and cataloging hardware variations.

Jeremy

I am also interested in what the basic value would be. I sell 2-3 systems at my video game store a week with 2 joysticks and paddles and 24 games for $75. But what really would be the market value for system with lets say combat? $40 at a store? The games that i sell with my systems are very common and really only worh about $15 if they had to buy them one by one.

To go a bit into more detail how about prices

1 Joystick $10 ?

Paddel set $10 ?

Roller controller $12

Indy 500 controller set $6

I know just about everyone on the boards would get the stuff for only a few bucks but for the price of hardware to the average consumer im working on it for the next issue of the Video Game Collector Magazine -- .

I think you make a good point in questioning the market of a 2600 with a single combat game. My take is that there is probably very little market for that package, since one-time buyers will obviously need games to enjoy their purchase, and collectors have no interest in acquiring an additional common console.

As for the problem of placing a value on a common system, here is the approach that I would use. Lets Assume that you can sell a 2600 with 25 games for $75. Further, lets also assume that you sell the same 25 games individually for $50. The value of the 2600 would then be roughly equal to $75 - $50 (cost of aquiring the 25 games) = $25. This assumes that the demand for the 25 game lot and the 25 game lot with console are roughly equal, which may or may not be close to accurate.

Generally you get what you pay for. If you get a 2600 for $5, it may have been sitting in someone's garage for 20 years gathering dust - may or may not work. If you get one for $15-$25, it'll probably have all the hook ups and have been tested at least once before sale. If you pay $25-$50 you're probably getting somebody's personal console with 10-20 loose carts that they still play and are in good shape. It's all relative.

The 4 switch console with 2 paddles, 2 joysticks and extra joystick, copmbat game that game with it, plus these games:

Gravitar, Pitfall, Asteroids, Digdug, Moon Patrol, Pole Position, Space Invaders, Centipede, Atlantis, Frogger, Pacman, SkateBoarding, Star Voyager and MarioBrothers.

What can I sell it for?????????

The 4 switch console with 2 paddles, 2 joysticks and extra joystick, copmbat game that game with it, plus these games:

Gravitar, Pitfall, Asteroids, Digdug, Moon Patrol, Pole Position, Space Invaders, Centipede, Atlantis, Frogger, Pacman, SkateBoarding, Star Voyager and MarioBrothers.

What can I sell it for?????????

It depends on WHERE you sell it.

IS anything extra ordinary special about any of my games that I listed. Meaning can you give mea price for each one,please so I know what the cost is each compotent. I'd appreciate it.

Extra ordinary, yes. Extraordinary, no. ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist.) They're pretty much all good fun games but not rarities by any means. You can check them out right here at the AtariAge rarity guide. You might get around $3 or $4 apiece for Skate Boardin' or Mario Bros and almost certainly less than that for the others. I suppose you might get an ebay newbie bidding war for Frogger or something but it's not terribly likely.

The search completed items feature on ebay is a great tool.

$20 to vintage gaming collectors, sure.  Could be worth a good bit more to an otherwise uninformed impulse nostalgic buyer, however.

Yup and I'm glad they are out there. I've sold a couple of VCS' for more than any real collector would give me. Caveat Emptor and all that good stuff :)