IGNORED

2600 Pac-Man sounds on Adult Swim

Room 34

I haven't seen Adult Swim in a few weeks, so I'm not sure how recently they changed their filler bits (they have a name for those but I am not savvy to the industry lingo), but I was quite amused last night to discover that the new batch all end with sounds from Atari 2600 Pac-Man... which led me to wonder...

Are there any Williams Street folks in these forums?

...which also leads me to wonder...

When will Homestar Runner come to Adult Swim? Seems like a natural fit. Maybe the Brothers Chaps aren't interested in taking H*R to TV, but I bet it would do well, and with everyone being in Atlanta already... (Ah, a guy can dream, can't he? Especially in light of the Strong Bad E-Mail DVDs they just released.)

Pretty sure they've gotten plenty of offers from CN and other outlets, and turned them all down because they want to stay indie . . .

I can appreciate that, although it seems like Adult Swim is one of the few places on TV where they'd probably be given considerable freedom (even though Adult Swim is on Cartoon Network, which is owned by Turner, which is owned by Time Warner... man, I'm such a sellout for watching Sealab 2021).

:)

I think those video game sounds are pretty commonly available in sound FX libraries for video/film/TV. I can't keep track of how many times in a TV show someone is playing a game on a modern Gameboy or Playstation or some such and the game sounds supposedly coming from the system are either 2600 Pac-Man or 2600 Donkey Kong.

Atari 2600 has been a running gag in most Adult Swim shows, with or without the bumps. There are more than a few episodes of ATHF where you can find Meatwad and Shake playing a 2600, particularly when the Mooninites invent their own game as part of a pyramid marketing scheme.

I think those video game sounds are pretty commonly available in sound FX libraries for video/film/TV. I can't keep track of how many times in a TV show someone is playing a game on a modern Gameboy or Playstation or some such and the game sounds supposedly coming from the system are either 2600 Pac-Man or 2600 Donkey Kong.

Sure, the Pac Man sound is one of the most used, the last commercial I recall using it was Circuit City where the wife lets the husband go off and run around in City Circuit and as you see him running down into the distance into the aisles you hear the Pac Man sound.

Curt